Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Horizon Apex/Overdrive w/ Helix LT... Speaker vs Monitors?

MovingPictures90

Hi all, 

First of all, terribly terribly sorry if this has been discussed.. I really did try to find my answer but couldn't.

We have an new office space at home where we do a lot of our photo/video editing and we have the room now for my guitar equipment. I really want the Helix LT, a good speaker solution, with the Horizon Apex Preamp.

I've heard mixed things about the Helix.. From what I've read the speakers you use determine whether or not you're satisfied.

I don't play in a band, I don't really jam with anyone. I just chill and play guitar and tweak settings effects and play along with other music. Typical bedroom guitarist. I'll probably record a few licks here and there with a drum simulator program etc., but that's about it.

I was looking at the Powercab 112 (I know it's overpriced), or a set of Yamaha 8" studio monitors (I know someone who works there who can get me a really good deal).

For my particular, limited use.. What would you recommend for the best overall tone? I would use stereo monitors for regular every day listening as well for what it's worth..

Are you playing through anything now? The biggest difference in playback systems is what you're expecting to hear. If you're expecting the experience of a live amp, studio monitors won't do it for you. If you want pristine "album-ready" tones to play through, monitors will do you well. The Powercab approximates a guitar speaker in "speaker mode" and can also be used as a full-range playback system, so it might be worth it if you wanna go back and forth between the two types of sounds. I'm personally not a fan of the HS series monitors for regular music listening, but they're great for mixing/reference. 

6 minutes ago, gunpointmetal said:

Are you playing through anything now? The biggest difference in playback systems is what you're expecting to hear. If you're expecting the experience of a live amp, studio monitors won't do it for you. If you want pristine "album-ready" tones to play through, monitors will do you well. The Powercab approximates a guitar speaker in "speaker mode" and can also be used as a full-range playback system, so it might be worth it if you wanna go back and forth between the two types of sounds. I'm personally not a fan of the HS series monitors for regular music listening, but they're great for mixing/reference. 

That's good to know. I like going back and forth between both; for playing along with recorded music I think monitors would be great, but for just noodling around/riffing I'd love the sound of a live amp. 

I'll just grab some regular Yamaha speakers for general music playback I guess!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gunpointmetal said:

Are you playing through anything now?

Oh, and no. I haven't had my guitar stuff in a long, long time. Probably close to 7 years now.. Just getting back into it, bought a used Ibanez (RGA321F) and just looking for the Helix and a good speaker to go along with. Really interested in having a clean, tight knit setup as we use our office space for other things too.

• Like 1

+1 on the Powercab(+) Since the introduction of the 212 Powercab+, there will probably be a lot of  used 112s on the market. I also have the HS8 studio monitors that are in my mind awesome but use them for primarily acoustic patches. If I had to choose just one, I'd go with the Powercab+

OK - I'm going to disagree - with qualification!

It sounds to me like you don't play loud?

Most live systems need to move a certain amount of air before they start to do what they are designed to do.

If you want to get great sound at a level where you can talk over it and be heard - go with the studio monitors - the whole amp in a room thing doesn't really mean much at that level - and most speakers designed to kick out live levels that keep up with a drummer don't sound anywhere near as nice as well EQ'd sound that's sitting in reasonable balance with a backing track - playing along with songs in your case.

If on the other hand you are getting loud........well it's all going to depend on how loud!

The kick in the bum of a loud amp only works loud.

Powercab Plus all the way! I have a "pair" and they are set up to send audio back (thru a mixer) to my HR824 Mackie monitors using their (PC+) speaker simulations thru the Mackie, and this works whether turned up or all the way down on the Power Cab Plus! Why do I do this, this way? Because I can also use the speaker simulations from the PC+ on my Kemper too!!!

Get a Power Cab Plus, you won't regret it.