Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Flextone 3 - Only Faint Sound Produced

Hi,

I'm trying to get a line 6 flextone 3 working for my dad (it belonged to my brother before he moved to another country).

Anyway - it's been sitting around for a while, and I've cleaned it up a little,successfully upgraded the firmware with line 6 monkey to 1.10 and had a look around the circuit boards to check if there were any obvious loose connections/corrosion etc. which there weren't.

It currently only produces the faintest of sounds - I rig it up to an audio out to test it, and you can definitely hear the audio, it's just extremely quiet.

I was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction for the next step - maybe something in the amplification circuitry needs replaced?  All lights etc. appear to be fine, and you can hear the 'whoomf' from the cone when you switch the amp off, so I'm assuming that's ok!

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mark

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Not sure which Flextone you have (Flex III, Flex III Plus, or Flex III XL) but have a look at the back of the amplifier.

You will see a whole bunch of input jacks (Send, return, and possibly some labelled Ext Speaker depending on which model you have)  Take a regular guitar cord, and insert it in-and-out several times on each jack.  I would personally do this approx 20 times for each jack.  

Don't be rough with them, but just simply plug and un-plug a cord several times in each jack.  It is possible the "Switching" style jacks used in these amplifiers have oxidized a bit from sitting around, and need a little cleaning.  Running a jack in and out is a simple way of loosening any dust up in them.  If this does make a difference, and the amp comes alive again, you might want to go a step further and use some cleaning fluid on these contacts.

This would require you to open the amplifier up...I noticed you mentioned you were looking at the circuit boards, does this mean you have opened the amp up?  If so, use some contact cleaner very sparingly on each leaf of the switching jacks on the rear of the amplifier.  Some folks have suggested spraying into the jacks themselves and then working a cable in and out, but I found that suggestion a bit sloppy.  Who know what the stuff is spraying onto in that instance!  

Preferably adding the cleaner in a controlled and careful fashion is the best way.  Please let us know if this helps and/or how you make out.

• 9 months later...