Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Heavy bass sounds from my HS5s

s7nstringsofhell

On certain notes i get very heavy bottom end that rattles. The HS5s are know to be pretty weak for bass. 
This is consistent on all 4 of my guitars and all my helix patches.

Could it be the quality of my XLR cables? i think they are mid range at best

i have moved the monitors around and it has made no difference they are on isoacoutic stands as well. 

any feedback appreciated 

Record a loop that contains the offensive frequencies. Turn the Low Freq all the way down, turn the Q up to 7 or 8, turn the Low Gain all the way down. While the loop is playing sweep the Low Freq slowly till you find the offensive frequency. Adjust Low Q and Low Gain till it sounds good.

23 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

Record a loop that contains the offensive frequencies. Turn the Low Freq all the way down, turn the Q up to 7 or 8, turn the Low Gain all the way down. While the loop is playing sweep the Low Freq slowly till you find the offensive frequency. Adjust Low Q and Low Gain till it sounds good.

even after turning everything down i still had the ugly freq 

1 hour ago, s7nstringsofhell said:

Yes turning down the parameters even once  they were at i still had the ugly bass freq 

OK, apparently I wasn't clear. 

The Q setting defines the frequency range. a low Q setting is like a small hill or depression, covering a wide range. A high Q is like an icepick, a very narrow range.

The gain setting determines how high is the hill or peak, or how deep the depression.

The idea is to set a narrow frequency range (high Q), then cut the gain so that it's a very deep hole in the frequency range.

Then you sweep the actual frequency from it's lowest point (20hz) to it's highest point (500hz), until you hit the frequency that's causing the problem.

By selectively and deeply cutting the level of the frequencies from 20hz to 500hz, you've covered the entire bass frequency spectrum. You can repeat the process in the mid-range.

If you've still got a low or mid frequency rattle in the speakers, your problem is elsewhere. Defective speakers?

Don't forget when you're done testing to reset the gain levels to 0.

Good luck!

I have a pair of HS7 studio speakers and from my experience they can be very sensitive in terms of placement due to their bass reflex ports being in the rear.  It sounds to me like you are getting a sympathetic frequency getting generated somewhere.  Try moving the speakers further away from any walls and see if that helps.  My speakers are about 1 foot from the back and side walls and I get a very even response.  You could also try some acoustic dampener pads under the speakers to see if that helps also.

19 hours ago, DunedinDragon said:

I have a pair of HS7 studio speakers and from my experience they can be very sensitive in terms of placement due to their bass reflex ports being in the rear.  It sounds to me like you are getting a sympathetic frequency getting generated somewhere.  Try moving the speakers further away from any walls and see if that helps.  My speakers are about 1 foot from the back and side walls and I get a very even response.  You could also try some acoustic dampener pads under the speakers to see if that helps also.

I have them on isoacoustic stands
They are currently about a foot away ill try moving them a little more 

21 hours ago, rd2rk said:

OK, apparently I wasn't clear. 

The Q setting defines the frequency range. a low Q setting is like a small hill or depression, covering a wide range. A high Q is like an icepick, a very narrow range.

The gain setting determines how high is the hill or peak, or how deep the depression.

The idea is to set a narrow frequency range (high Q), then cut the gain so that it's a very deep hole in the frequency range.

Then you sweep the actual frequency from it's lowest point (20hz) to it's highest point (500hz), until you hit the frequency that's causing the problem.

By selectively and deeply cutting the level of the frequencies from 20hz to 500hz, you've covered the entire bass frequency spectrum. You can repeat the process in the mid-range.

If you've still got a low or mid frequency rattle in the speakers, your problem is elsewhere. Defective speakers?

Don't forget when you're done testing to reset the gain levels to 0.

Good luck!

I have spent alot time adjusting all the ranges and it all sounds the same, it might be a speaker issue