Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Fender Hot Rod Deville & Hd500x

gibstone

Hi All,

I have just bought a Pod HD500X after owning a UX2 for a couple of Months. I am putting the HD500X through my Fender Hot Rod Deville Pre Amp in socket. Firstly I'm getting an awful Hum as soon as the Pedal is plugged in. Secondly all effects sound muddy and to be honest pretty crappy, at least compared to the UX2 with my PC Speakers, the Amp with just a Guitar and the Amp with my Boss GT6.

Has anyone had a similar issue? I have seen some people talking about disconnecting the Earth cable to the power, but I'm not going to start screwing around with my power wiring.

Anyway any help will be gratefully accepted, otherwise this Pedal is going back to the shop.

Cheers

Lee

I am using the same amp as you (I use 2 for stereo). Get a ground lift connector for the power plug on your amp. I've had to to that in many venues even before I started using LINE6 stuff. The same thing on  the  XT Live and X3 Live as well.

Also make sure your "1/4" out" switch is set to "AMP"and not "LINE". Try different outputs in your VIEW/Utilities setup. Like PWR AMP IN, Combo In, Stack in. This will change the color of your tone.

• Upvote 1

Thanks All,

I have tried the 4 cable method with the same results.I'm going to have a further play around tonight. Leldanberg, I would be interested in what settings you are using for your output, straight combo??

Cheers

Lee

I plug my HD500 straight into my BillM heavily modified Blues Jr. No effects loop, plug straight into the amp. Make SURE the HD front panel swithes near the volume foot pedal are on "Amp" and NOT "Line/Studio". If you don't put it on "Amp", you will be clipping the input to the Fender, and it will sound like crap. Also, make sure the switch that says "pad" is NOT on "pad", I can't remember the other setting. I get a buzzy hum from that setting when my guitar volume knob is all the way down. I use full amp models to my BJ as well, but make sure you are hitting the Fender with too hot of a signal first. Good luck HD500 takes some tweaking and knowledge of its quirks and gain stages, but I am really happy with mine.

• Upvote 1

• 10 months later...

I'm using a Hot Rod deluxe (1998 Model) and a POD HD 500x.  I got pretty good tones by "zeroing my amp's eq" (see below) and running through the amp's preamp.  The 4 cable method didn't sound good to me.

My wiring is:

guitar--->POD guitar in----> POD left line out---->amp input 1.

POD's manual switches:

1/4" out = amp

Guitar In = Normal (for strat/tele) or Pad (for LP)

XLR = doesn't matter but I usually leave it on ground

FX LOOP = doesn't matter but I usually leave it on stomp

POD's I/O settings:

Inputs:

Input 1:  Guitar

Z= Auto

Input 2:  Variax (for some reason my patches sound better with this)

Outputs:

Mode:  Stack Front

Focus: 560Hz

Lows: Flat

Highs:  Flat

Hot Rod Deluxe Settings:

Clean channel

Bright OFF

Volume:  To taste

Drive: 0

Treble:  0

Bass:  0.5

Middle: 6-12 (essentially boosts volume so increase to taste)

Master/Reverb/Presence:0

Zeroing the amp is really important to get good tones from the POD.  Here's how I got my amp's eq settings:

1.  Download the tone stack calculator  http://www.duncanamps.com/tsc/

2.  Select your amp style.  If it isn't present you can manually input your tone stack by looking at your amp schematic.  (It's a little tricky for NOOBs)

3.  Adjust the knobs so that the eq is flat.

4.  Use those settings on your amp.

Once your amp has been zeroed, many of the great tones that are preset in the pod can be used live.  Just be sure to adjust your A/B volumes in the mixer and choose No cab in the amp settings.