Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider Hd150 Iii Head Plays For 5mins, Intermittant, Then Ticking Noise

John_B2009

I bought a Spider HD150 III head amp new in 2009 as a backup amplifier but it was put into storage and it was not used. I plugged it in today and it that plays OK for about 5 minutes, then becomes intermittent, then cuts out with ticking noise. I haven't investigated any further, but I heard it could be a processor board problem. If so how much is a replacement board?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi TheRealZap,

I contacted line6 support. The only reply was to perform a factory reset, but I they won't answer back when I asked for parts and a month has almost passed. I believe the problem is the DSP processor chip that overheats. Once it cools down it is OK for another 5 minutes or so.

That link leads to me service centers. Can't I get parts some where from this website. Or Can I send in the defective circuit board for repair? I really getting ticked off with the poor support here. I have a Peavey amp that is almost 20 years old and it had no problems other than a broken channel switch pedal. I also received a schematic, but never had to use it.

you cant get parts here or from the website...

line6 does not sell parts to end users, and does only warranty service in house, so they will not repair your board for you.

some service centers will get the parts for you... they are independent... so you may have to try more than 1...

since they may only supply parts in which they will install... (thats up to them)

so yes... i purposefully linked you to the service centers, because they are the ones that can help you.

I am an independent technician, service and maintain equipment. I have worked as a technician for a music store, and record music companies in the past. Most service centers have technical bulletins regarding known defects from the manufacturer, as well as serial numbers of equipment of that have common failing components on their website. I have purchased parts from many other manufacturers without a problem. Since I work nights and not in the city I live in, I order parts online. So I don't know why Line6 is being so difficult.

• 1 year later...

Spider IV HD150 with FBV Express MkII pedal, making a sharp click noise when switching from one channel to another. This is a huge common mistake that beginners make, and here I am doing it for the first time in 25 years. I know it's something I've done, maybe while equalizing the volume levels of the 4 channels, each of which have saved customized tones from tweaking the FX Parameters in Edit Mode. Originally when I saved each tone to it's channel there was no click when I switched channels. Over time the preset knobs got bumped slightly and saved with new volume levels until finally I got a sharp loud surprise due to one channel getting saved while I was playing a little under 1/4 channel volume and master volume. Unfortunately, now that I've returned all volume levels to normal relative to its channel, I get that little click, that sounds just like tapping a bare stereo wire to its speaker while the volume is turned up high without music playing. I've tried re-saving each one with the channel volume slightly changed to make an entirely new save. I've re-saved them down low, and after slightly changing the FX Parameters in Edit Mode...same. So this is how I know it's me but I cant figure out how to fix it. I switched over to a factory preset song setting with the channel volume and master set identically at 1/4. Well you know what happened here, the volume jumped to that 1/4 setting. So a hit Manual and put Presets at User 16A and built a brand new tone (high distortion), and saved it to channel A. Then to channel B the same way (clean). I tested it and switched at 1/4 Channel volume and master volume but without hitting a string....no click. I hit a note and repeated the switch...of course, back to normal again. So those first four channels I saved somehow with low volume while the amps actual channel and master levels were around 1/4, are useless. I welcome the jabs for this one. Just how do I fix the ones I goofed up? Thanks.