Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Used XPS

• 2 years later...
On 8/24/2019 at 12:49 PM, soundog said:

Used XPS is hard to find. I ended up buying a couple of them when I had the chance. They fail! Set up an ongoing search on E-Bay with notifications ... one will show up eventually.

Does anyone know what the correct DC voltage should be, coming out of my XPS DI box, measured at the "ring" part of the TRS cable? (Tip being signal; sleeve being GND) I'm measuring  7 volts on mine. Maybe why it's failing now? (Guitar and XPS 18 years old.)

On 3/28/2022 at 4:52 PM, psarkissian said:

It uses a PX-2 AC/AC, 9VAC/2000mA.

I'm not talking about the PX-2 PS. That's ok. I'm talking about the output voltage of the XPS-DI, which supplies the voltage to the guitar, via the TRS (stereo) chord connected to it, when not using the battery power option.

The XPS wedge or the soap bar use a PX-2 to power them. The DC going out through the TRS to the guitar is around 8Vdc.

Either the XPS's or the battery packs should be used. Anything else is an unsupported modification and would not be serviceable,

so mod it at your own risk.

I'm not talking about the PX-2 PS. That's ok. I'm talking about the output voltage of the XPS-DI, which supplies the voltage to the guitar, via the TRS (stereo) chord connected to it, when not using the battery power option.

Thanx for the feedback. If it should be around 8Vdc, and mine measures exactly 7 Vdc, that's probably why guitar occasionally cuts out. I'm guessing the 7Vdc is right on the threshold for sustained operation. Does anyone know if there are schematics available?  It may be something as simple as a leaky cap or faulty regulator. (Maybe there's a trim pot inside of the XPS to adjust its output voltage if I'm lucky?)

1- 7Vdc is fine on those, typically around 7.4V.

2- No schematics available or publish, too much proprietary stuff in it.

3- No trim pot.

I like to remind people about the PX-2, because there's always someone out there that wants to use a substitute.

Don't want those ending up on my bench if it can be helped. Less meant for you, more for everyone else who will read this. (Thumbs up)

Thanx again for the feedback. I suppose it could be the jackplate assembly (also not available I understand.) It may not be sending the needed "handshake" acknowledgement to let the XPS know there's a guitar attached.  I may pull it out and do a thorough contact cleaning (I use DEOXIT D5), check cold solder joints, etc. (I of course ruled out the TRS cables I've tried.) Can you tell me if it works/doesn't work with battery power only tells me anything about the integrity of the jackplate?  This problem has been too fleeting since 2004 that it's very hard to track down.