Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Headphones Or Live For Patch Creation

brywool

I'm having a heck of a time getting good distortion patches. I use my HD 500 with a JTV59. I get great acoustic sounds and some of the clean sounds are okay. When I play live, I use a Bose L1. The acoustics sound great, the clean electric's are okay, but the distorted electrics just don't sound very good to me. 

I try and dial them in while running through the Bose and it just takes me a long time. 

Was curious- When you guys are dialing in your sounds, do you recommend headphones or using whatever live system you use?

Yup!

It's just like if you mix a song on headphones the balance will be all wrong. Things sound totally different depending on context:

- Headphones right by your ears vs. speakers in a room

- Soft vs. loud volumes

- Alone or with other instruments

So it's impractical to dial in a tone in any other context than the one where it'll actually be used.

I've always had to go through many iterations - adjust best I can at home, tweak at a gig and make a mental note of what needs to change, adjust more at home, later / rinse / repeat.

It's just one of the aspects of modeling gear; a regular amp limits you to ONLY hearing it through its normal speaker so the context difference is not as obvious.

I've the same problem! My crunch and lead tones are horrible when i play live and i connect the pod through a PA.
I usually tweak every tone listening from the headphones but it's wrong because every speaker has it frequency response (and that's make sense). But i play live with every time different speakers so i want a stable method to obtain the same sound i create at home!

Searching on older post i've found this image that shows the general frequency response. I think with a completely transparent ( and for trasparent i mean with flat frequency response) speaker the sound would be the same produced by the headphones.

p.s.: i'm planning to buy a tube amp and use that to create the patch. I would mic it every gig i do and the sound should not change this way!

post-508811-0-09682800-1369090708_thumb.gif