Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Sonic Port + iOS 13 = NG?

So I installed the iOS13 beta on my iPhone X a couple of months ago, and quickly discovered that my Sonic Port no longer works, with any app. I thought it was simply an iOS bug/glitch, but we're up to beta 7 now, with public release in just a couple of weeks, and it still doesn't work.

Is the Line 6 dev team aware of this, and are there any plans to address the issue with a firmware patch or similar? Or am I just out $100 or whatever I paid for this thing ... ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I’m not expecting them to support a beta OS. But this should be brought to their attention because, unless either Line6 or Apple fix something, the device is likely to not work with the released iOS 13. And at this point there’s little time left.

Hi guys and gals 

I have submitting feedback with Apple on every beta released on iOS 13. If you look in System> About while connected you can see it is being recognized. I have tried numerous apps...GarageBand, Voice Recorder Pro, Hokusai, Spire and many others. The software also recognizes the device. The problem seems to be with Apple changing the Audiokit. I have tried an external USB Audio interface from ESI using Apple USB3 adapter and the same thing occurs, it’s just not with Sonic units alone. The best thing to do is submit feedback to Apple as that’s were the problem is. This is why they release betas to work out bugs and this is an annoying one. If anyone relies on using Sonic Port ....Do Not Upgrade To iOS 13 until this is worked out!!! Beware! 

To be pedantic: “AudioKit” is the wrong term. AudioKit is a 3rd-party open source audio library used by some audio apps, but not part of the OS. The Apple code in question here is CoreAudio, probably the parts of CoreAudio that interface with external hardware.

From comments above it sounds like the Sonic Port is not the only hardware affected? Is it only interfaces that connect directly to Lightning, or are USB audio interfaces via the CCK broken too?

if it’s more than this one device, this seems like a really serious problem (esp. given the huge number of musicians using iOS) and I’m surprised it’s persisted through this many beta builds.

I’ve already filed an issue with Apple, but I’ll check the developer forums too to look for more reports of this.

Ok Mooseyard “CoreAudioKit” along with all the other Core Kits. The CoreAudioKit had numerous items deprecated such as HAL and Inter-app audio. Apple has also mandated the use of Apple Audio units. This is causing tons of software to break especially lazy developers who will not even attempt to recode! Lots of dead apps!  The fact that Apple has changed the way audio data is received and sent along with the iOS seeing Sonic Port as a device is IMHO a software issue. Mobile POD will never work unless it’s updated. And if anyone uses Djay pro from Algoriddom that just broke under 13.1 

65EE9EA6-9099-4808-9666-B046309FBF3B.png

Bad news: Sonic Port is still busted with the latest iOS 13.1 dev beta that came out this week.

Good news: I tried out an USB audio interface I had lying around (Behringer U-Control), via the “Camera” Connection Kit, and it works fine. So it seems this problem may be specific to the Sonic Port. (Downside is that the U-Control only has line-level inputs, so I can’t plug my guitar in directly, but I have a multi-effect pedal with line level out.)

• Thanks 1

On 9/15/2019 at 1:08 AM, miguelgonzalezr said:

Hello. I bought a LIne6 sonicport two days ago... I'm running IOS 13.1... OKAY, I bought a Stone? What you recomend me, return the Line6 Sonic port or wait for a solution? I'm not able to downgrade to IOS 12..... What's happening exactly? Thanks and sorry for my por english.

I posted a reply but it disappeared ... lol. What I had said was that I tried a competitor's adapter last week (finally bought it because I was tired of not being able to connect my guitar to my iPhone!) and it worked perfectly. Since there's been no official feedback about this from Line6, I don't know if it's an issue they can resolve or not. Hopefully they'll communicate with us at some point! In the meantime, other adapters work fine.

At this point I'd recommend returning it, if you can get your money back. There's no way to know when (or if) this will be fixed by Apple, and there's not anything Line6 can do since the device doesn't have any way to update its firmware. And Line6 have said absolutely nothing about the problem.

I'm probably going to give in and buy a different adapter, like the iRig HD 2. :(

One thing that just occurred to me: Has anyone tried connecting the Sonic Port to iOS via USB, through the Camera Kit? If the problem is specific to the Lightning interface, that might work around it.

Further reading between the lines, it sounds like Line6 didn’t bother to test iOS 13 during the 3-month beta period (nor to read their own forums) and suddenly discovered the incompatibility after everyone installed the final release. Dammit.

”We have no control over if/when this will be fixed” — well, generally the earlier you file a bug report the earlier it gets fixed. And it’s much likelier to be fixed soon during a major release beta cycle, than at other times when only carefully picked bugs get fixed for minor releases.

Time For me to buy a new interface, I guess. And I’ll be unlikely to consider Line6 gear in the future if this is how their QE/compatibility process works.

Well said! On that note I have tried the usb3 camera adapter it’s seems stable. I’m thinkIng Behringer,Maudio or Focusrite usb interfaces. All well made and have reasonably priced units to choice from. We can’t even sell these on eBay .....Thx Line 6 for failing your customers! I always love wasting money on useless items। 

10 hours ago, Zooforce said:

Well said! On that note I have tried the usb3 camera adapter it’s seems stable. I’m thinkIng Behringer,Maudio or Focusrite usb interfaces. All well made and have reasonably priced units to choice from. We can’t even sell these on eBay .....Thx Line 6 for failing your customers! I always love wasting money on useless items। 

Zooforce, did you say that you had tried the Sonic Port to iPhone via USB3 camera adapter and it works?

I have a Sonic Port VX and iPhone 7 with ios 13 ...really annoying as I've not had it that long.

If it works with an adapter then I may get one.

Hi Granada ...no there was attempts to get a Female lightning to usb cable And run it trough an Apple USB3 camera adapter. I believe that the Sonic Port are not using class compliant USB drivers. First Solution try and Roll back to iOS 12.4.1 and stay there ... never upgrade iDevice to iOS 13 ...ever!  Second Solution - Scrap Sonic Port ...buy Apple Camera adapter and buy new usb class compliant audio interface of your choice. If you have an older iPad or iPhone that is not your primary communication device and can live without updates.. you could use Sonic Port for years ahead. If it’s your primary. You need those updates for security and other app updates so they can continue to function, and in this case it might be worth  trying to pick a used iPad/iPod/iPhone that’s still only a couple years old eg. iPhone 6/7, iPad Air 1 or 2 , IPad mini 3/4 some may be had for less than $100. Note if you want to down grade to 12.4.1 now is the time. Apple could stop signing restores at any time very soon. The bright side usb C is coming to iPhones next year so we would have been looking for a new audio device at that time anyway.  Good luck if anyone comes up with a brainstormed pist it so can all get in board

Sadly I'm having the same issue. There must be a LOT of users having this problem.
I can't believe that Line 6 didn't have this figured out during beta testing and didn't alert their registered users. 

The beta has been out there for months. 

Unhappy user here......

Any suggestions on what audio interfaces DO work? 

15 hours ago, mebbac said:

I can't believe that Line 6 didn't have this figured out during beta testing

I know, right? I'm an iOS developer and I reported the problem in a bug report to Apple a month ago (FB7127906, if anyone from Apple is reading). But that doesn't have as much weight as a bug report from Line6 themselves, especially because they could have done more troubleshooting and maybe included details that would help Apple identify the problem.

Of course it's possible that Line6 _did_ find the problem and alerted Apple and nothing happened; Apple bug reports go into a black hole and it sometimes takes a long time for them to be addressed. But even if that's true, it was bad form of them not to acknowledge the issue in this thread (or some other thread), or to post a compatibility warning earlier the way other companies like NI and Ableton did.

• Upvote 1

Yeah it's a PITA. Fortunately, I have an old iPhone that is too old to have iOS 13 installed, but why should I have to carry around a second phone though?

Pretty poor. It's the kind of mistake you'd expect from a product being maintained (on weekends) by one guy in his garage 

On 9/27/2019 at 9:15 AM, Yalovitskiy said:

GarageBand is not available after downgrade to 12. Maybe someone will find this info useful.

I couldn't find Garageband either but, if you upgraded, and had it anytime before, you can find it in your purcahses and it will download fine.  

2 hours ago, matiasfhj said:

For those who has been reporting this problem to Apple, there is any answer? 

No. Generally you only get a response if they need more information, or after an OS containing the fix is available.

I just ordered a Mooer GE150 as a replacement. It's a multi-effect pedal, but it does have a USB audio interface that should work with the CCK. Seems like a good deal for $170. If I didn't also want the effects, I'd probably have gone with the iRig HD 2 ($80).

Been using Line 6 sonic port in unison with BIAS FX for years now with no issues. Hasn’t worked since iOS 13 was released so I’ve patiently waited for updates but I’m now running 13.1.2 and it’s STILL not working! Needless to say it’s very frustrating as it’s currently my only way of jamming my electric guitars. 

On 10/1/2019 at 9:43 AM, mooseyard said:

I  just ordered a Mooer GE150 as a replacement. It's a multi-effect pedal, but it does have a USB audio interface that should work with the CCK.

Update: It doesn’t. And I can’t even get my Macs to recognize it as an audio device, and their tech support hasn’t replied to my questions. Avoid.

The iRig HD 2 I ordered as a replacement for that works fine, however.

You know....the worst thing about this situation is: I can’t even sell it, because no one will buy it.  and you know why? Because it’s useless...Now I’m really angry about it. I am not sure, but may be we(owners) must file a complaint, or something like that? 

... again, maybe  still posted before, here  the Support answer Hi, We have confirmed that the Apple class compliant driver that Sonic Port / Sonic Port VX relies on for audio is failing on iOS 13. We have seen this across multiple iPhones. Our QA department has logged a bug with Apple to resolve this, but being that this is Apple’s driver, we have no control over if/when this will be fixed. We will update this article with any relevant information as it comes. Here’s the article: https://line6.com/support/page/kb/mobile-products/sonic-port-mobile-in/sonic-port-sonic-port-vx-audio-issues-with-ios-13-r925/ Best regards, Line 6 Technical Support Europe

So the really infuriating part is you CANNOT roll back to iOS 12.4.2 once you’re on 13.2. You can roll back from iOS 13 beta to 12 but not from the official 13. So if you haven’t updated DON’T because there is no going back now. I just spent an hour and a half with support and they confirmed that once you update it’s over. I guess if someone was clever and used some kind pf jailbreak procedure you could go back but there is no officially supported method. 

Also frustrating is they still sell these darn things! Crazy. 

I don’t believe Line6 can’t fix it. It’s their fault for not making changes to support the OS like every other manufacturer. Totall bull$hit to lay blame on Apple...but it makes future purchasing decisions simpler. I’ll never consider another Line6 product again.