Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Sonic Port + iOS 13 = NG?

I guess I'll keep my very old 16G Ipad for remote recording through the Sonic Port VX. What I don't understand is how you fine people converted the Sonic Port's Lightning male to USB C male. From what I've read, none of the "converters" at Amazon really support hi-fidelity audio. Maybe I missed something.

So, just for argument's sake, why can't Line6 issue a Sonic Port molded cable that terminates to a USB C male instead of Lightning male? If the pinout needs to be sorted, it would seem plausible that would be Line6's opportunity to make sure it was operational. Even if I have to buy it for a reasonable levy, tariff, duty, toll or excise... libation, honor robbery, whatever... I want to keep using my Sonic Port VX.

If the AudioKit bug is truly a bug, would the fact be provable it used to work, now it doesn't. I think there's ulterior motives at work here other than "Its a bug that can't be fixed".

On 12/15/2019 at 7:39 PM, yannaingshin said:

Hey Coloboy, is this fix for Sonic port or Sonic Port VX?

My device is SonicPort VX. And this docking station is only for USB devices,  I connect my Sonicport VX through the USB port rather than lightning port.

As for SonicPort(Not VX), I'm afraid this method won't be work,please wait for the official solution.

I'm really pissed-off.

I kept using my 16G Ipad mini2 since 2014.I bought SonicPort in 2016 and it works well all through these years.

I bought a new 128G Ipad7 last week and found it doesn't work on it.

Nobody talks about this severe problem in China.Not A Single One!!!!!

Then I find this international Line6 community and realized that it happened at least 4 months!

Does damn APPLE cares about it?

I agree totally! My recent Ipad Pro 12.9 256G wireless + cellular was supposed to be the powerhouse I'd need for EVERYTHING. Not just what Apple thinks is appropriate. Why not beat them at their own game Line6? That's the attitude you used to have, when I began doing business with you. And the only reason I pick Ipad over other devices was Apple's dedication to pro-audio, unlike Android. ?Que pasa?

On 12/12/2019 at 3:57 PM, xvila said:

You are very optimistic !!

Seriously now, it seems that Line 6 has just abandoned Sonic Port.
The last "official" announcement from Line 6 (December 4th) is:

"Update 12/4/19: We’ve tested the latest iOS 13.3 beta release and the problem with Sonic Port and Sonic Port VX persists. However, we are making good progress working with Apple to resolve this issue in an upcoming iOS 13 update."

But this is not happening....

I read this last announcement from Line6 before I posted my opinion but it is still annoying... I still think that there's a solution coming, and hope that Sonic Port is not abandoned. If so,  it's a shame for this company. I used the original Pod and the Pod HD 300 before and these gonna be the last devices ever from Line6 in my use....

11 hours ago, GlasgowAndy said:

Is a fix on it's way, or do I return my Port (I only got it in september)?

Well....these are the official words from Line6:

"Update 12/20/19: We’ve tested the latest iOS 13.3.1 beta release and the problem with Sonic Port and Sonic Port VX persists. However, Apple is making significant progress to resolve this issue in an upcoming iOS 13 update."

We've been waiting since August, when the issue appeared !!

So, if you have a Sonic Port VX (with the standard USB-A terminating cable usually used to connect to a non-lightning input), all you need is a USB-A female to USB-C male(?) converter. I have confirmed my Sonic Port VX will work with a brand new IPad Pro 12.9 256g wifi/cellular unit. This converter does not have to be Apple issued.

Cheers

I too have had the same trouble with my Sonic Port since upgrading to IOS 13. Having looked around for an alternative interface, I came across the Apogee Jam+, which happens to be on sale on the Apple website (at Apple prices!). Is it in Apple's interest not to sort out the issues we are having with the Sonic Port? Neither party seems too interested in resolving this issue.

Hello guys:

Does anyone knows what's the current firmware version of the SonicPort VX? mine is "v1.0.11".  The device doesn't appear on the "Line 6 Updater v1.18 Installer" and can't update (If required) via POD Mobile app because of the problem described on this thread... Right now Im using it via Apple USB Adapter but is an inconvenience...

Thanks in advance!

I hadn’t plugged in since the 13.0 update till today. Surprise! No workie workie. And I find this thread. Want to know why I sold all my other Line 6 Gear? It’s because of unresolved issues that plagued past products after the Yamaha acquisition. It’s also why I don’t anything made by Yamaha. For a Japanese owned company, Line 6 is a disgrace. I have never had this poor level of service from ESP, Hoshino Gakki or any other Japanese company that I had gear from. Even while living in Japan. Line 6. You guys suck. 

6 hours ago, D_Hollingsworth said:

I hadn’t plugged in since the 13.0 update till today. Surprise! No workie workie. And I find this thread. Want to know why I sold all my other Line 6 Gear? It’s because of unresolved issues that plagued past products after the Yamaha acquisition. It’s also why I don’t anything made by Yamaha. For a Japanese owned company, Line 6 is a disgrace. I have never had this poor level of service from ESP, Hoshino Gakki or any other Japanese company that I had gear from. Even while living in Japan. Line 6. You guys suck. 

Line 6 says Apple is working on it, I'm waiting for a new iOS version to be able to use this expensive (and "good") product again (It is good but this current problem...). Let's hope the new iOS have the fix, because there has been several iOS updates since September and nothing...

On 12/22/2019 at 2:04 PM, jiminshorts said:

Not sure if anyone has posted about this but I found a work around to get your Sonic Port vx working on iOS 13 across all devices again!! Check the vid below and hope it helps!

https://youtu.be/Am4B5f3J9Lk

I can confirm, that my Sonic Port VX works with this Lyos 2 in 1 adapter (updated link):

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B083F1TZWN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_NM9mEbPAQ8KQ0

I had to try two different USB (adapter) to mini USB (Sonic Port) cables though. Must be different standards although they both fit. 

So no need to wait for an Apple fix or to not use it :)

On 1/9/2020 at 1:00 AM, toeffifee said:

I can confirm, that my Sonic Port VX works with this adapter:

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07YXZ7BTN/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_api_i_XP6dEbNWHQ1KR

I had to try two different USB (adapter) to mini USB (Sonic Port) cables though. Must be different standards although they both fit. 

Nice, it´s cheapper than the original Apple AV Adapter, but with this method you still have a problem. The Mobile Pod app didn´t don´t recognize the Sonic Port VX to unlock everything...

We need the update to use the full potential of the product (Full price for a full potential, that´s fair).

On 1/7/2020 at 11:43 PM, zADAN said:

Line 6 says Apple is working on it, I'm waiting for a new iOS version to be able to use this expensive (and "good") product again (It is good but this current problem...). Let's hope the new iOS have the fix, because there has been several iOS updates since September and nothing...

It’s not worth the time or effort to wait for Line 6/Yamaha. It is very disappointing that 1) Line 6 couldn’t appropriately test their product with iOS 13 and warn their customers. 2) that Line 6 can’t fix the issue with a firmware update(in 3+ months) as other manufacturers/developers. It’s a $100 paperweight at this point.

After watching that, as a professional iOS developer I can tell you that probably Apple just cut off the support for this Line 6 something-to-lightning cable, so it won't work ever, unfortunately. That's why Line 6 cannot do anything on the software side from 3 months or so - it's not so big change for a software development team to update the sound driver to this newest iOS 13's one, come on, really. Shame...

If it would be a software/driver/sound class problem it wouldn't work with that adapter either. It's a hardware issue.

Hey, line6, you know the reasons of the problem, is there some hardware workaround/hack to fix it?

I am user of the first version of SonicPort (not VX) and it has only cable to lightning port. So I have no possibility to use USB & CameraCommectionKit workaround.

Anyway, SonicPort definitely uses coreaudio compatible hardware to communicate with iOs devices. So there must be a possibility to make such USB cable for my SonicPort too. Even if it needs soldering some additional components and/or cutting traces on PCB.

Please, give that information to us, because it doesnt look like problem is going to be fixed in software (in iOs, by Apple)

There is also question, why did this happened and why Apple is not fixing it back? Because of you used some bug or undocumented/not officially supported feature in your product? And this way was closed in iOs13 by security reasons? or What? And why you cant disclose any information about this to your customers?

On 1/11/2020 at 11:40 AM, manowar1991 said:

After watching that, as a professional iOS developer I can tell you that probably Apple just cut off the support for this Line 6 something-to-lightning cable, so it won't work ever, unfortunately. That's why Line 6 cannot do anything on the software side from 3 months or so - it's not so big change for a software development team to update the sound driver to this newest iOS 13's one, come on, really. Shame...

If it would be a software/driver/sound class problem it wouldn't work with that adapter either. It's a hardware issue.

I'm agree with you on "Apple just cut off the support for this Line 6 something-to-lightning cable" but I have faith that will be fixed eventually. I think they reduced the power given to an external device connected to the iDevide on iOS 13, sure this can be fixed through a software update (from apple), if you connect the Sonic Port to the iDevice using the lightning cable you can see the hardware details, apple could make an exception to this device (related to the power needs).

15 hours ago, sense_ said:

Hey, line6, you know the reasons of the problem, is there some hardware workaround/hack to fix it?

I am user of the first version of SonicPort (not VX) and it has only cable to lightning port. So I have no possibility to use USB & CameraCommectionKit workaround.

Anyway, SonicPort definitely uses coreaudio compatible hardware to communicate with iOs devices. So there must be a possibility to make such USB cable for my SonicPort too. Even if it needs soldering some additional components and/or cutting traces on PCB.

Please, give that information to us, because it doesnt look like problem is going to be fixed in software (in iOs, by Apple)

There is also question, why did this happened and why Apple is not fixing it back? Because of you used some bug or undocumented/not officially supported feature in your product? And this way was closed in iOs13 by security reasons? or What? And why you cant disclose any information about this to your customers?

Line 6 official response is here: 

Let's wait the next iOS 13 update and hope apple has addressed this. I have seen that this isn't the first time the Sonic Port has suffered from this. You can see on this forum, post from several year ago, similar to this related to a major iOS update, and then got fixed, I thing we are in the same situation.

Sonic Port (and VX) is a good product (I like it) but this is an inconvenience that hope be the last...

16 hours ago, kmeals9898 said:

Anyone have any good experience with other iOS interfaces, life moves too fast to sit around and wait on these clowns to fix the problems. I can at least use the Pod Farm on my PC.

There is another interface that I want to try, the "IK Multimedia iRig PRO DUO":

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0148JMEEI/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_070iEb79G30VD

Right now I´m using the "Focusrite Scarlett Solo", the one that I use on my Mac. Working great on iOS but nos as portable as I would like:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QR6Z1JB/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_370iEbAP6WANE

I also would like to hear some suggestions, in case that the SonicPort & VX is dead...

Well I was about to post the same thing... I would like to know about alternatives in case  sonicport keeps this way. The problem with Irig and other interfaces I’ve seen is that they not allow for a stereo line in input... and that is just what I need since I use it to record audio from my Yamaha keyboard. Any one has any experience with other interfaces that allows stereo line in input? So far the closest I have seen browsing in the web is a usb class compliant Yamaha mixer connected through the camera connection kit 3. But this is much more than I really need. Waiting for your feedback!

https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Yamaha-AG03-3-Input-Interfaz-mezclador-auriculares/dp/B06XY7MWKX/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=yamaha+ag03&qid=1579515759&sprefix=yanaha+ag&sr=8-3

I am also tired of waiting for this to be resolved. It’s been months now. Focusrite itrack solo lighting on the way and sonic port in the trash along with the possibility of me ever buying another Line 6 product. Luckily enough I was able to unload my other line 6 products but unlike line 6 I will not sell a unit that doesn’t work with a promise that someday maybe.

I managed to get my Sonic Port VX working fine with an Apple iPhone 7 and the CCK usb adapter. However I also have an Ipad (2019 standard 10.2 ") which I tried to get working.

When I plug the Sonic Port VX into the Ipad using the lightning cable it detects it in the Mobile POD software but no sound comes through. When I plug the VX in via the CCK I don't get anything. As I said it works fine this way with the iPhone 7...any ideas?

Today Apple released iOS / iPadOS 13.3.1 to the public and guess what... Yep, nothing yet. 

As Line6Tony said on the last update:
"Update 12/20/19: We’ve tested the latest iOS 13.3.1 beta release and the problem with Sonic Port and Sonic Port VX persists. However, Apple is making significant progress to resolve this issue in an upcoming iOS 13 update."

This means the beta wasn't modified for Line 6 yet, let's hope (again) we got our devices working on the next iOS update (As the message above says), 13.3.2 maybe?...

So no change so far ... with IOS 13 3 it still does not work ... what about customers who buy new devices? ... I passed on my information to THOMANN in Germany. But Line 6 devices are not the only ones that probably have problems with IOS 13 ... I just would never have updated it to IOS 13 ....

On 1/9/2020 at 3:00 AM, toeffifee said:

I can confirm, that my Sonic Port VX works with this adapter:

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07YXZ7BTN/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_api_i_XP6dEbNWHQ1KR

Can you please let us the make/model/item# details of your item? I live in the USA and the link you posted only shows a blank Amazon.de page. Thanks!

On 1/9/2020 at 3:00 AM, toeffifee said:

@toeffie thanks so much for the fast reply! So I gather from the type of adapter you use that you connect a power source as well? If your is built in a way that does not require the power source connection please let me know. I’m trying to replicate the ease of connection that the fellow in the video had. But I’m super appreciative of your solution and help, yours will likely become my solution as well. Have a great day!

Last update from Line 6. Not very different from the December update, I am afraid...

We have confirmed that the Apple class compliant driver that Sonic Port / Sonic Port VX relies on for audio can be problematic on iOS 13. We have seen this across multiple iPhones. Our QA department has logged a bug with Apple to resolve this, but being that this is Apple’s driver, we have no control over when this will be fixed. We’ll continue to dialogue with Apple regularly and test iOS 13 beta releases as they become available. We will update this article with any relevant information as it comes.

Update 1/20/20: We’ve tested the latest iOS 13.3.1 beta release and the problem with Sonic Port and Sonic Port VX persists. However, Apple has made significant progress to resolve this issue in an upcoming iOS 13 update. Once Apple confirms what update will include the fix, we will post that here.

Edited 16 hours ago by Line6Tony

Hello;

A few days ago iOS 13.4 (beta) was released. Can someone test the Sonic Port / VX? especially someone fromLine 6... This update should include the fix.
@Line6Tony @phil_m

It's a good time for you as a company to tell apple to include the fix in case that the problem persists in the 13.4 (beta).

Thanks in advance!