Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How Better Does The Jtv Alt Tuning Track Than The Old Firmware And Variaxes?

I know they've changed the pitch shifter on the JTV over time. 

So the question is, does it track better?

I can't do hammer on/pull off/slides high past the 12th fret or else it triggers an incorrect note of the note I'm playing.

Is this any better in the JTVs?

I think it's shreddable in any tuning. In fact I shred on mine with the same feel as my other regular guitars.  I have yet to have one person play it that thought it was laggy at all. I have a 59

Lag isn't really a concern. I know there's lag in alt tuning but it NEVER bothered me unless I stacked it with even more lag on my DAW setup. That's my fault, not the guitar's.

Like I said, I'm having problems past the 12th fret in alt tunings with pull offs, hammer ons, and slides. It gives an out of tune note from the note I'm playing because the pitch shifter isn't registering it correctly.

I'm wondering if they've corrected these errors.

Obviously they can, as there's pitch shifters out there with better quality than that, even ones that are polyphonic and still don't warble or give the wrong note from misreads. Obviously my 600 is using older pitch shifting technology, but the JTV has modern technology that should fix these problems.

I'm really sensitive to mistracking, but have never heard so much as a hint of it on my JTV-69.  Can you be more specific about the settings and model you are using?

There is a mild sampling lag on the lower strings when pitch-shifted down, but it's easy enough to compensate for and nowhere near as pronounced as the Roland GR-55 synth modes.  I like my GR-55, but find that I have to play certain things an octave higher on the guitar and transpose the synth down in order to get reasonable tracking in that register. 

I'm really sensitive to mistracking, but have never heard so much as a hint of it on my JTV-69.  Can you be more specific about the settings and model you are using?

There is a mild sampling lag on the lower strings when pitch-shifted down, but it's easy enough to compensate for and nowhere near as pronounced as the Roland GR-55 synth modes.  I like my GR-55, but find that I have to play certain things an octave higher on the guitar and transpose the synth down in order to get reasonable tracking in that register. 

I'm using a Variax 600. If you mean guitar modeling, I don't think that really matters as I think the pitch shifting happens before the modeling stage.

I use multiple models. I have trouble on all of them above the 12th fret, especially on the ebg strings.

A pitch shifter has different tracking than a MIDI/synth trying to figure out the note you're playing.

When someone talks about a pitch shifter tracking, it's not really about it knowing what note you're playing, but rather knowing how to transform what you're playing to the right shift of pitch, without warble or any artifacts.

That's a very odd symptom.  Can you post a recording somewhere? 

I do realize the difference between synth tracking and Line 6's real-time processing, but it's near impossible to do pitch transposition in real-time without an initial delay.  My band does several tunes where I have to drop a whole step and I've learned to "lead" the beat a bit to make up for it.