Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Help with specific delay

Eldred37

Hi all

I am trying to get the exact same delay setting as on this video but to no avail. I have tried everything and I am quite frustrated. 

The delay is just not as pronounced as with feedback and dies to fast. 

I have tried timings and dotted 1/8 but it just does not sound the same. 

Any advice? 

Which delay are you using and what are your settings?  If you're using the Simple Delay, I would suspect you would want to set the Feedback parameter at least at 50% or more and your mix so that the delay is pretty much equal to your dry signal so probably somewhere around 50% or more as well.

I tried simple delay and all others. Had feedback up to 80% and still cant get that repetitive sound. 

If you listen to video the feedback delay keeps on going longer than any delay on the helix. 

I would also think that the dotted 1/8 should be a standard timing. If you look at the video the dotted 1/8 basically gives him an extra note in between his picks. 

48 minutes ago, Eldred37 said:

I tried simple delay and all others. Had feedback up to 80% and still cant get that repetitive sound. 

If you listen to video the feedback delay keeps on going longer than any delay on the helix. 

Hi,

This dotted eighth note delay is the standard of “the Edge”. There must be a stack of stuff on Custom Tone that will get you in the area for this sort of stuff.

Also, you have to remember that as you are using a dotted 1/8th the BPM of the tune is important, in the case of “We Are Royals” it should be around 132. If you don’t have the BPM how will the Helix know what the sub divisions (time/msec) of the beats are. Check your Helix settings for BPM or tap it in.

Try setting the level and amount of delay repeats (feedback) by playing just a single note to achieve the desired effect. Also remember that the delays on Helix work slightly differently to how you may expect. At 50% mix setting it works more like a balance where you have equal amounts of dry and delay signal. Increase above 50% mix will give more of the delay and lose some of the dry. A trick to try is to split the path and put the delay (any model) on the lower path. This way you can put the delay signal mix to 100%, i.e. delay only, and your dry signal continues on the top path. Feedback determines how long the repeats last, from zero to infinity. Adjust to suit.

Hope this make sense.

EDIT:

I went to Customtone and found this which will probably have the type of delay you’re after.

https://line6.com/customtone/tone/3625740/

and here is the video

Hope this helps.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Eldred37 said:

But if you set the feedback on the helix to 100%, it should go on endless. So maybe you have annother problem in your preset?

..."datacommando" has already explained everything well

39 minutes ago, datacommando said:

Hi,

This dotted eighth note delay is the standard of “the Edge”. There must be a stack of stuff on Custom Tone that will get you in the area for this sort of stuff.

Also, you have to remember that as you are using a dotted 1/8th the BPM of the tune is important, in the case of “We Are Royals” it should be around 132. If you don’t have the BPM how will the Helix know what the sub divisions (time/msec) of the beats are. Check your Helix settings for BPM or tap it in.

Try setting the level and amount of delay repeats (feedback) by playing just a single note to achieve the desired effect. Also remember that the delays on Helix work slightly differently to how you may expect. At 50% mix setting it works more like a balance where you have equal amounts of dry and delay signal. Increase above 50% mix will give more of the delay and lose some of the dry. A trick to try is to split the path and put the delay (any model) on the lower path. This way you can put the delay signal mix to 100%, i.e. delay only, and your dry signal continues on the top path. Feedback determines how long the repeats last, from zero to infinity. Adjust to suit.

Hope this make sense.

EDIT:

I went to Customtone and found this which will probably have the type of delay you’re after.

https://line6.com/customtone/tone/3625740/

and here is the video

Hope this helps.

Yip I have that patch. I will try the advice. 

2 hours ago, Eldred37 said:

There is about 5 - 6 repeats, each one substantially quieter than the previous. The Helix can easily do this on most delay choices.

If you set the feedback too high it is going to get in your way.... the very first repeat should be equal value (or quite close) to the actual note you played. 

Any basic delay will accomplish this... heck, I use to do this with a boss DD-3. 

• Dotted 8th subdivision
  • Tap in the tempo via quarter notes... (eg, 1, 2, 3, 4)
  • Play the PART on the QUARTER NOTES... do not try to play it like you hear it! The part you play is extremely simple... the delay does the magic. 

2 minutes ago, codamedia said:
  • Play the PART on the QUARTER NOTES... do not try to play it like you hear it! The part you play is extremely simple... the delay does the magic. 

Indeed...if delay FX didn't exist,  The Edge would be selling insurance. ;)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Eldred37 said:

Here is another example in same song.. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8OL19p1l3s&t=63s

Yep, once again, that's just some more of Mr Evan's U2 trickery.

Another great exponent of the dotted eighth note is a certain Mr D Gilmour - there's a lot of it about (Pink Floyd fans will get that one)

Oh, yeah, one thing that I forgot to mention about the Helix stereo delays is - they have a "Scale" parameter you should set that to 100% so the repeats remain dotted 1/8th. The scale chops the time value of repeats in the right hand channel. For example: delay time = 1/2sec (500ms),  scale = 50% gives repeats on 1/4sec (250ms) intervals. Therefore if you want to maintain strict time set scale to 100%.