Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp - Can you set an Amp/Cab block on Right out only?

guitarman19853

I'm considering purchasing an HX stomp and know that it can do some of the scenarios I want to use with it but I'm not sure about this one.  I could figure this out myself in a couple seconds if I owned the pedal but I'm trying to decide if this is possibly before I make the purchase.

TLDR: Can you run an amp/cab block on one side of a signal chain only and allow the other to go out unprocessed.  The point would be to run a stereo rig with a real amp on one side and a modeled amp on the other.

I know that I can do this if I run my entire pedalboard as it exists into the HX stomp acting just as Amps - then I could plug one pedalboard output into the Stomp and one into my amp.  Easy.  However, I really want the HX stomp to be fully integrated with my pedalboard.  I want to run my signal chain as

Guitar > Comp > Drive Pedals > HX Stomp > Stomp FX Loop  Send > Stereo Delay > Stereo Reverb > Stomp FX Loop Return > Pedalboard out

If I do this it lets me add additional effects before or after my delay/reverb or put my delay/reverb after the amp sims if I'm running direct.  It also lets me make patches with no amps to run my pedalboard into real amps.

However, there is a specific use where I want to run a single real amp and a modeled amp as the other side of the stereo chain.  Can I do this within the editor/interface?  I would need to put an amp block on the right side signal only.

Thanks and sorry if this has been answered - Searching for "Stomp Amps Left Only" or Right Only doesn't give any useful search results...

I believe you could do this so long as you split it into Path A and Path B. You would then need to pan the two channels hard left and right. I'd put the amp model on Path A but in reality it doesn't matter. In Path B you would need at least a dummy block (EQ, something - you could deactivate it if needed). 

Then at the very end of the chain rejoin them, but at the join point again pan hard left and right.

I believe that would work. I haven't tested it though, but I did similar things with dual instruments and it worked so it seems like it would. 

6 hours ago, Kilrahi said:

I believe you could do this so long as you split it into Path A and Path B. You would then need to pan the two channels hard left and right. I'd put the amp model on Path A but in reality it doesn't matter. In Path B you would need at least a dummy block (EQ, something - you could deactivate it if needed). 

Then at the very end of the chain rejoin them, but at the join point again pan hard left and right.

I believe that would work. I haven't tested it though, but I did similar things with dual instruments and it worked so it seems like it would. 

Thanks!  Someone else suggested I try it out in a trial of Helix Native in HX Stomp Compatibility mode and it seems to do what I want.  

Is there a performance or sound reason to put the amp block in path A?  Because you're right, you need a dummy block in B.  However if I put the Amp in B, no dummy is needed on A.

9 hours ago, guitarman19853 said:

Thanks!  Someone else suggested I try it out in a trial of Helix Native in HX Stomp Compatibility mode and it seems to do what I want.  

Is there a performance or sound reason to put the amp block in path A?  Because you're right, you need a dummy block in B.  However if I put the Amp in B, no dummy is needed on A.

Whoa . . . no I'm just a moron. I've always wanted the ability to do a blank Path B but it never occurred to me that you can do a blank Path A and in some cases that's preferable like this one where you're going to be doing both signals out of the main outs). 

Thanks for the idea!