Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Clean Models Sound To Quiet

Badbradline666

I have my hi gain models sounding amazing all the levels are perfect for playing live and keeping up to a drummer but I can't get my clean patches to have the same level in volume actually they are drastically lower in volume even when I have them maxed the only thing I can do is flip the switch from amp to line on the pod but its really annoying cuz my hi gains sound way better on amp

Lack of volume equalisation on patches is one  big pain the lollipop to be honest and all multi FX modellers suffer from this.

To make things even worse I have found that pickups can exagerate the issue, so much so that I have to have seperate set lists for my Gibsons and Telecasters.

But as to your issue yep Tonemans advice is solid as ever.

You can also use the mixer block to boost or cut the output without having to change the volume on the amp. However that said I have my clean channel amps set with the volume on max with the higher gain amps pegged backed some what. The volume on the amp model does not make any difference to the overall sound.

Actually getting your patches equal is a whole subject in itself. Its not always volume that makes the difference particuarly in a band situation. Note  how differently the guitar can cut through simply by adjusting the tone on the guitar. Its the most frunstrating part of using the POD and my only advice is that the more different amp models you use the harder it is to equalise them.

• Upvote 1

If you are using  hiway 100 go to amp edit toggle right  amp edit 2/5 master volume is preset at 50% raise it to 100% you will get more distortion from it so you may need to lower the drive once you reset it but you will get more volume. As well you may need to take the step of readjusting all other amp volumes like everyone is saying. Good luck.

I have my hi gain models sounding amazing all the levels are perfect for playing live and keeping up to a drummer but I can't get my clean patches to have the same level in volume actually they are drastically lower in volume even when I have them maxed the only thing I can do is flip the switch from amp to line on the pod but its really annoying cuz my hi gains sound way better on amp

Hi, I don't see your problem. Just put your amps in front of the mixer. Lower the volume of the hi gain patch and push the clean-sound-patch volume!

Patch matching cycling from cleans to hi gains so the changes sound right, I have found;

Each Amp's gain and volume effects the tone your after and of course the tone controls.

When you have a gain, volume and a master controls including another Master on the edit page 2, there are too many variables.

When you first get on you use the master and amp controls to adjust the volumes from patch to patch and the result of any patch tweaks is embarrassing and unprofessional at a gig. 

To avoid volume at the expense of tone I opt to use the mixer block the most to get the consistency between Amps by keeping the Master volume the same on all models at 100% max ruling out one variable. You could consider the Master a supernumerary. So too the edit page Master. (Extra but not needed.) Of course you could make the level what works for you and your amp.. But don't adjust it from patch to patch. 

Try to avoid using a boost comp or an EQ to raise the gain as it effects your tone. Try to use those for getting the tone and definition your after and as a last resort.

The Volume level on each Amp model depends on the gain and tone settings your using so it is variable from patch to patch.

Another variable is different guitars especially higher gain pickups. For this reason I now save the patch indicating the guitar used to make it. I now make setlists based on the guitar used as I have more than three.

Not all patches need to be duplicated and honed for each guitar as they are primarily for different genres. But its handy to know the patch your using was made for the guitar your using.

The only other thing is once you have a patch you like save and try it out with different pickup selected and adjust so all work without wrecking it and save it if your happy with it.

O,r save the patch with the pickup that was used to make it but I like to make the patch work if I can for all on that guitar but it is not always possible.

B'mStratXnm indicates what pickup not to use on my Strat using the Bassman amp in the patch name. This is  for one guitar that has had the stock mid and bridge pickups replaced.

I am still cycling thru using a dozen of the amp models. It  is still a chore but I am starting to get consistence in volume changes.

Simplified,  treat the mixer as your gain match device and remember to save it.

Finally what works for you. We all have different styles and needs and one size does not fit all!

• Upvote 1

No worries.

I should mention that less is more in some cases. 

I have found that just have an amp in the block and tweaking it and its sub edit pages  can yield impressive tone.

Really work on the Amp block. You can set up the cabinet resonance where you can get away without reverb and only a delay or none and can sound just sweet.

In the world of digital recording the recorded track is at it's purest state and the addition of FX actually degrades the quality a little. Every change adds up. 

This is different to poor mixing techniques where proportional sound is not sought and the inexperienced result is a muddying morass.

Similar can occur. The problem with the HD500 is you can have lots of FX untill your DSP runs out and just because you can have a heap doesn't mean you actually need them.

Some guys duplicate an Amp to a bank row and each patch has the various different  FX so there is no accidental over processing.

This is a great way to expand the half dozen best patches you have and where I am up to.