Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV69/Standard setup specs? Trem, string height @ 12?

Can't seem to find 2 factory spec measurements for my JTV69 or my Variax Standard

tremolo rear edge height (as in pic - for a Fender it's 3.2mm)

string height at 12th fret

Yes, I know, I can just make it to whatever I'm comfortable with that doesn't affect playability or intonation.

I'd like to be able to set it to factory standard though.

Anybody know where I can find this information for the JTV69 and the Standard?

measure-trem-height.JPG

1 hour ago, DannyMcO said:

Can't seem to find 2 factory spec measurements for my JTV69 or my Variax Standard....

measure-trem-height.JPG

And you won't. They've steadfastly refused to divulge such "proprietary" info for years, the excuse being that when they used to do exactly that, too many half-wits were ruining their instruments, then sending them in for repair. So they've basically concluded that no one but "authorized" service centers are capable of doing it correctly.

But honestly... suppose the "factory specs" don't feel right to you? Action too high, too low...Are you just gonna fight with the guitar from that point on? Set everything how you like it, and call it a day. Nothing terrible will happen.

Not so much that's it's proprietary, (though it sort is at this point, for the most part). It's that when we did publish it,

but too many said they knew what they were doing and didn't, they fouled it up, then sent it back to me to fix their mistakes.

So we now it's simply,... take it to a Line 6 authorized guitar service center and have it adjusted there.

" But honestly... suppose the "factory specs" don't feel right to you? Action too high, too low... "--- another reason to leave it to

a Line 6 authorized guitar service center. They can start from the spec settings, then dial it in for you to your liking from there.

Thanks cruisinon2.

Even though I do set-ups on repairs for guitars destined for other climate regions, as good as I am at that, I still recommend

using a Line 6 authorized guitar service center in your area and climate region for that.

Yeah...I get that you have to toe the company line. But I'll keep saying the same thing I've said all along, because I know it to be true: It's a guitar, not the Hubble telescope. Anyone who can set up their Strat or LP without falling off their stool, losing an eye, or impaling themselves on a hex wrench, can set up a Variax. It's not supernatural.

Relentlessly pushing the idea that the are only a handful of human beings capable of doing it properly because they have access to the "Double-Secret Spec Sheet", does NO ONE any favors for two reasons: 

1) It simply isn't true.

2) For a lot of folks, there is no "authorized service center" within a reasonable distance...but there probably is a local guy who does guitar repairs. Do you really expect people to drive for hours, or ship the guitar out a couple/three times a year, every time it needs a set-up? Who's gonna do that? It's beyond inconvenient (and/or prohibitively expensive), and quite frankly, insane. Or maybe they should just take it to the guy across town who's been repairing guitars for the last 30 years...it's well within the wheelhouse of any competent tech or luthier, or anyone who's been doing their own set-ups for any length of time.

10 hours ago, psarkissian said:

I still recommend

using a Line 6 authorized guitar service center in your area and climate region for that.

The only service around these parts is Guitar Center and I wouldn't let them bury my dead cat.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, spikey said:

The only service around these parts is Guitar Center and I wouldn't let them bury my dead cat.

There are two GC's within 15 minutes of my house.... trouble is, most of my guitars are older than the "techs" doing the set-ups. I'll pass. ;)

crusinon2,... " ... I get that you have to toe the company line. "--- It's not towing the company line,

it was drowning in a sea of poorly set-up guitars by people who said they knew what they were doing,... and didn't.

If you ask some here, they'll tell you I don't tow the line. Yeah, and GC setting up a guitar older than the tech, I get

that. Some around here though are pretty competent.

There's the service center page with the guitar sub-heading for those that service our guitars.

And if they need to consult me, they have channel access for that.

• 1 year later...
On 9/3/2019 at 4:20 PM, psarkissian said:

crusinon2,... " ... I get that you have to toe the company line. "--- It's not towing the company line,

it was drowning in a sea of poorly set-up guitars by people who said they knew what they were doing,... and didn't.

If you ask some here, they'll tell you I don't tow the line. Yeah, and GC setting up a guitar older than the tech, I get

that. Some around here though are pretty competent.

There's the service center page with the guitar sub-heading for those that service our guitars.

And if they need to consult me, they have channel access for that.

So you are complaining that you had loads of work, most companies would be happy about that and use it as a revenue stream, I assume Line 6 charges for setups and repair work. Most guitar manufacturers publish setup specs without their staff drowning under the work load, that's more to do with your management chain's inability to resource the depts correctly. Maybe a half decent guitar tech could release a setup vid on YouTube, or perish the thought Line 6 could produce one.

" So you are complaining that you had loads of work, most companies would be happy about that and use it as a revenue stream... " ---

Loads of work isn't so bad. It's when it ends up on my bench needlessly from those who claimed they knew what they were doing,

and unaware of certain quirks, like affects and interactions between piezos with magnetic pick-ups, and not knowing how to deal

with that in the set-up. Once had one come back with neck relief that had more in common with a violin or an old Gibson hollow body archtop.

" I assume Line 6 charges for setups and repair work. " --- Repair work, yes,... usually if it's out of warranty. Come back just for a set-up, no.

They don't want me bogged down with something like that. Better that be done by a Line 6 authorized service center that's local to the customer.

" Maybe a half decent guitar tech could release a setup vid on YouTube, or perish the thought Line 6 could produce one. " --- Had a document and

planned a video follow up, until some many who said they knew what they were doing, turned out to not know, and I got bogged down with set-ups

and not repairs. Ironically it was my idea to put it out there until so many messed up. Nice idea at the time, just didn't work.

Like I mentioned earlier, " There's the service center page with the guitar sub-heading for those that service our guitars. And if they need to

consult me, they have channel access for that. " 

Good questions.