Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix for Bedroom Player?

user-2927740

Hi,

I am wondering which version of the Helix would be best for me? I'm mostly playing in my room.

Maybe the Helix Navite (i have a UX1, would that work?, my computer is very basic).

I'm not that bothered about recording. I only use to jam along with but would like something nice sounding.

I play any types of music really, mostly Pink Floyd style though.

Please tell me what I should do?

1 hour ago, jlowe01 said:

Hi,

I am wondering which version of the Helix would be best for me? I'm mostly playing in my room.

Maybe the Helix Navite (i have a UX1, would that work?, my computer is very basic).

I'm not that bothered about recording. I only use to jam along with but would like something nice sounding.

I play any types of music really, mostly Pink Floyd style though.

Please tell me what I should do?

If you're not going to record, then Native isn't gonna do you much good. It's a plug-in, and can only run inside a DAW. Which hardware version you choose boils down to your needs and budget. The middle of the road choice would be the LT.

• Like 1

Floor for the whole package, including integrated headphone amp control. Since the helix can act as a good sound card for your pc, the mic in is very usefull too

If your primary concern is space (and you use simple signal paths), stomp is the way to go

Imo LT isn't worth it, even more so if you have to buy additionnal gear to compensate for it's "lack" of features (like a separate headphone amp, a soundcard for a mic, etc.). 

1 hour ago, BigJayBrian said:

Floor for the whole package, including integrated headphone amp control. Since the helix can act as a good sound card for your pc, the mic in is very usefull too

If your primary concern is space (and you use simple signal paths), stomp is the way to go

Imo LT isn't worth it, even more so if you have to buy additionnal gear to compensate for it's "lack" of features (like a separate headphone amp, a soundcard for a mic, etc.). 

Point taken but if you can spare the cash its Awesome with amps - I use emotiva and little dot iii for preamp (warmer sound depending on how much more volume is over emotiva) - huge difference with them imo

58 minutes ago, BigJayBrian said:

I personally don't see the need for a separate headphone amp for the intended purpose. The LT can be set such that the main volume control doesn't affect the XLR or 1/4" outputs. And, the OP does not talk about singing :-)  so a mic is probably also not needed. At the same time the LT has all the power and flexibility of its bigger brother whereas the stomp is much more limited in DSP and number of blocks. Thus, the LT would be my logical choice in this case (assuming space isn't an issue).

Thanks everyone for their input. I guess i'll look at the LT as the only option for now. I'll be using headphones as i don't have a speaker setup and as long as there's a Aux In.

I have owned the Pod XT Live & X3 bean before, while I was impressed with those units, How does the LT compare in quality to the XT Live?

On 8/30/2019 at 4:43 PM, jlowe01 said:

Thanks everyone for their input. I guess i'll look at the LT as the only option for now. I'll be using headphones as i don't have a speaker setup and as long as there's a Aux In.

I have owned the Pod XT Live & X3 bean before, while I was impressed with those units, How does the LT compare in quality to the XT Live?

The LT DOES NOT have an Aux In. I use my iPad to play backing tracks when I play. I use the USB cable into the USB port and then an Apple adaptor to change from USB to the USB C connector on the iPad. This works great for me. The only thing with doing it this way, is that you cannot control the volume of the iPad with the ipad’s Volume controls. The volume of the iPad needs to be adjusted in the Helix Global settings which is only a couple of clicks from the main screen so not a big deal.

There is another way of doing it with the send and return I think but I don’t know how to do that so someone else will have to help with that.