Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Swapping Out The Dt25 Stock Speaker

Slidedude

The DT50 2x12\4x12 has V30's in it as well as the GH, so it's likely going to give you usable results...

i've not heard of anyone else doing precisely this, but being a subjective area anyway... i'd just give it a try and see if you like it.

I have an old Peavey Classic 30 with the 112E cab.  One night at rehearsal I took the 112E cab from the Peavey just for kicks.  It's 16 ohm speaker and I would switch back and forth with different patches, etc.  Take it for what it's worth - the DT25 Cab sounded a ton better. I've never tried the V30.

Be careful the magnet is not too large if you have a combo. I couldn't fit my Eminence Swamp Thang in the combo because it's a 150W speaker with a large magnet, which makes the metal supports stick out farther. Can't put the amp chassis back in, the front would hit the speaker frame before it was all the way in place. Just something to be aware of.

• Upvote 1

Be careful the magnet is not too large if you have a combo. I couldn't fit my Eminence Swamp Thang in the combo because it's a 150W speaker with a large magnet, which makes the metal supports stick out farther. Can't put the amp chassis back in, the front would hit the speaker frame before it was all the way in place. Just something to be aware of.

This is a good point - thanks! 

The Peavey is the old version from the 90s (combo with a 112 extension closed back cab).  I was comparing both the DT25 closed back cab with the Peavey closed back cab.  The speaker is a Sheffield 1230 16-ohm.  It's all subjective but I think the stock DT25 closed cab was much better.

I'm interested in how people respond to the V30 more for future. I use the XLR out to the house now.  If I could ever mic the speaker (in a back room) - I'd consider getting another DT25 head and change it up with the V30 and mic both cabs.  Running more dual amp stuff, etc.  Dreaming now of course.

I have a DT25 head and bought a Jet City 1x12 cab. Took out the stock speaker and loaded in an EVM-12L. I really like this speaker with the DT25 and POD HD500.

EVM-12L here as well. I keep coming back to it after trying all my others out. 2x12 with G12H30 and G12T-75 is not bad with the Marshall flavors but the EVM-12L lets you use all the flavors and when you use the pre's with a cab in the Pod the EVM-12L is good at letting those different "cabs" character come through making the rig more versatile.