Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

M5 blank screen/ update loop

ToddKreuz

I bought a used M5, and its giving me the infamous blank screen, with eventual "waiting command".   

I've updated the firmware 50 million times using Monkey and an RME Multiface II interface.

It just keeps asking me for the update, and never works.   I've tried all the usual things people suggest, like

removing the screws, etc etc..    I just cant get it to work.   Anybody know anything about this?

I could have sworn i read some years ago that this unit had an issue with the ribbon cable.

Any info would be great.  I spent a 100 bucks on this thing.  I'd like to use it.

• 1 year later...

Having the same problem.

FIrst it gave me the "update" message that's mentioned elsewhere.

So I'm forced to: download and install the "line 6 monkey", register the unit for the benefit of line 6 database who now has all my personal data, and buy 2 midi cables (that I will never use again) to download the update. Which is all very annoying for a guitar pedal, mind you. No other company gives you this hassle for a multi fx. But ok, I do it.

When it was finishing downloading, I got an unspecified error, and now the unit is showing the blank screen mentioned in this thread.

Again, I don't really see the point of having to "update" a guitar pedal. This is incredibly frustrating.

Very very dissapointed with all this - is anybody going to offer a solution? Or is Line 6 determined to acquire a bad reputation in this highly competitive field?

• 5 months later...

Having with similar problem here, my M5 runing in blank yellow screen after i plug the power supply. When a power supply plug in the on/off switch function  as well and tap button too. And then if i press model select button the main screen led gonna off, there has no sound even bypass too. Maybe on this forum have a solution for me.    

45d9a7de-28da-43bf-b1df-35580f50fb54.jpg

• 1 year later...

I'm having a similar problem.   I bought an M5 a while back and used it from 2006 or so until 2019 exclusively, on my pedal board, powered by a Godlyke PowerAll.  No issues whatsoever.  I got an HX Effects to replace it and a friend wanted to use the M5, so I gave it to him.  He never was able to get it to work.  The message FLASH UPDATE MODE   WAITING COMMAND...    He uses a Dunlop DC PowerBrick and the power out of a Boss Noise Suppressor pedal to power his board.   Both give the same message.   I bring it home and hook it up with the PowerAll and it works immediately.   Has anyone had the same issue?  I'd really like to get this fixed for him.   Thanx.