Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix with Weird volume problems/ distortions

FuZz3

Hello,  i currently use the helix for pedalboard, that goes to my amp head, simple, that sound is ok, i have to tune it up ,but when i try to use it on usb to FL Studio it plays super low, i have to amp the output for USB 1/2 but the sound distorts, and every amp simulator has gain , i dont know why.

I tried, installing new version of everything (ASIO, Helix, Helix drivers) and when i plug the helix straight to the pc the sound is super low, i saw online , and people arent getting this issue, its very frustrating.

Please help me.

I can give you more details of what i tried

I have made recording of this problem.

first is plug straight of my preset (that i use with the amp, so all pedals without amp+cabs) then i used a amp+cab and it have distortion, and im using clean amps, all distort.

And the last i boosted a clean amp+cab and it DISTORTS TOO!!!

test.mp3

5 hours ago, FuZz3 said:

Hello,  i currently use the helix for pedalboard, that goes to my amp head, simple, that sound is ok, i have to tune it up ,but when i try to use it on usb to FL Studio it plays super low, i have to amp the output for USB 1/2 but the sound distorts, and every amp simulator has gain , i dont know why.

I tried, installing new version of everything (ASIO, Helix, Helix drivers) and when i plug the helix straight to the pc the sound is super low, i saw online , and people arent getting this issue, its very frustrating.

Please help me.

I can give you more details of what i tried

I have made recording of this problem.

first is plug straight of my preset (that i use with the amp, so all pedals without amp+cabs) then i used a amp+cab and it have distortion, and im using clean amps, all distort.

And the last i boosted a clean amp+cab and it DISTORTS TOO!!!

test.mp3

I've listened to your test and understand what you're describing.  If I had to guess, I'd say your problem is with gain staging.  But I can't say that with any certainty without looking at the patch itself.  A bit more info would help.

What kind if pickups are you using?  Humbuckers or single coils?  What version of firmware is your Helix running.  If you upload your patch that's causing the problems, I'm sure more than a few of us wouldn't mind helping you narrow down and find the problem. If your patch is using an Impulse Response that costs money, please remove it before exporting and uploading the patch.

1 hour ago, lungho said:

I've listened to your test and understand what you're describing.  If I had to guess, I'd say your problem is with gain staging.  But I can't say that with any certainty without looking at the patch itself.  A bit more info would help.

What kind if pickups are you using?  Humbuckers or single coils?  What version of firmware is your Helix running.  If you upload your patch that's causing the problems, I'm sure more than a few of us wouldn't mind helping you narrow down and find the problem. If your patch is using an Impulse Response that costs money, please remove it before exporting and uploading the patch.

So, My guitar is a Jazzmaster 2019 with humbuckers alnico 5

Lastest firmware 2.81.1

Im not using any Impulse response, from what i understand that requires a special kind of speaker FRFR something-..

I tried using a default patch, FACTORY1 -> 09A Solo Lead Clean and recorded playing hard on the strings and this came out. same as my custom patch

Note that i before recording used the headphones on the helix and it sounded LOUD, i had to turn down the wheel , its kinda clean sound but in the pc it lowers it...

Set 1.hlx

test2.mp3

1 hour ago, FuZz3 said:

So, My guitar is a Jazzmaster 2019 with humbuckers alnico 5

Lastest firmware 2.81.1

Im not using any Impulse response, from what i understand that requires a special kind of speaker FRFR something-..

I tried using a default patch, FACTORY1 -> 09A Solo Lead Clean and recorded playing hard on the strings and this came out. same as my custom patch

Note that i before recording used the headphones on the helix and it sounded LOUD, i had to turn down the wheel , its kinda clean sound but in the pc it lowers it...

Set 1.hlx

test2.mp3

Ok, so I'm using a PRS Custom 24 to test this patch.  I used the 1x12 US Deluxe cab (using defaults), since your patch doesn't have a cab in it.  The gain staging looks good.  I can hear what you hear, most notably on the neck pickup.  On the amp, I backed the master down to about 8 and it sounds a lot better.  So give that a shot and see what you get.

15 hours ago, lungho said:

Ok, so I'm using a PRS Custom 24 to test this patch.  I used the 1x12 US Deluxe cab (using defaults), since your patch doesn't have a cab in it.  The gain staging looks good.  I can hear what you hear, most notably on the neck pickup.  On the amp, I backed the master down to about 8 and it sounds a lot better.  So give that a shot and see what you get.

So, i have added the dafault cab, turn off the bypass of the amp, and record it this time in another program, Audacity, its the same, very quiet.

why is the sound so low, is it possible the usb connection is malfunctioning?

test3.mp3

1 hour ago, FuZz3 said:

So, i have added the dafault cab, turn off the bypass of the amp, and record it this time in another program, Audacity, its the same, very quiet.

why is the sound so low, is it possible the usb connection is malfunctioning?

test3.mp3

If you're recording straight into your DAW and then bouncing the track(s) to mp3 without mastering it, that might be the issue.  Part of the mastering process is bringing up the audio levels of your recordings.  Without mastering, the volumes are always gonna sound low on a rendered recording.  I don't know what you do know and don't know. So I'll link a vid below, just in case you have no clue what I'm talking about.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0Jx2h-lQkA

1 minute ago, lungho said:

If you're recording straight into your DAW and then bouncing the track(s) to mp3 without mastering it, that might be the issue.  Part of the mastering process is bringing up the audio levels of your recordings.  Without mastering, the volumes are always gonna sound low on a rendered recording.  I don't know what you do know and don't know. So I'll link a vid below, just in case you have no clue what I'm talking about.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0Jx2h-lQkA

Well, im used to use a BOSS ME-50 straight to computer and in spite of not being made to record like this it record decent...Helix is made to record straight from the pedalboard... this volume is very low... the master will not help if the volume is low from the start. If this was the case i should get the same volume as you...

7 hours ago, FuZz3 said:

Well, im used to use a BOSS ME-50 straight to computer and in spite of not being made to record like this it record decent...Helix is made to record straight from the pedalboard... this volume is very low... the master will not help if the volume is low from the start. If this was the case i should get the same volume as you...

This is the master fader from my DAW (Reaper) using your patch.  As you can see, it is peaking around -13.  Compare this to your DAW's master fader and see what it is.

image.png.07c862b5a2741577eaf16f032a89fd50.png