Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

No Guitar Input Signal

jasonhanlon

I just purchased a brand new sealed in box Helix LT. the software was version 2.3 so before I ever plugged a guitar in I updated the firmware to 2.81. Once completed I plugged in and found I have no input from guitar. I have checked the guitar and cable and it is not them. When I put on the tuner in the Helix it gets no signal. I also have tried reinstalling the firmware. Does anyone have any experience with this issue? 

This is going to sound silly and possibly insulting, but I don't mean it to be :)

Are you sure you plugged into the guitar input? I only ask because sometimes at a gig I find myself accidentally plugging into the EXP input or RETURN in error and a moment of panic comes over me when I get no signal. 

Another test you can do is insert a RETURN BLOCK and plug into the appropriate return. The tuner is NOT automatically setup to input from the returns so don't rely on the tuner as a test unless you specifically change it's input. 

1 hour ago, jasonhanlon said:

the software was version 2.3 so before I ever plugged a guitar in I updated the firmware to 2.81.

Did you do a full restore after updating the firmware (Hold FS9 and FS10 on boot).... loading the firmware does not do this automatically. 

Since you don't have any presets of your own yet, this will guarantee the Helix is loaded with all it's default settings giving you a clean start. 

FWIW, I am having very similar issue with helix I've had for a while and have also submitted a ticket... have used helix pretty much every day (very happily) for a long time and this happened once to me shortly after updating to 2.8.1 a few weeks ago, but it got better all by itself after about a 1/2 hour (approx)... now it's happening again and not coming back... have also tried full restore, but still no sound.   If you figure anything out, please post!  Thanks!

I have this same exact issue. Tried all the fs combos and reset it multiple times..The only way to I was able to get input back is to leave it on a while with hx edit open.

This is obviously not ideal...

Spoke to L6 support and they pushed me to Yorkville which has subcontractors at local music stores. I will visit on of these tomorrow and see what they say.

Will post an update, hopefully with good news.

This problem is a little disturbing but I sure would like to see more details surrounding it's occurrence. It "stopped working" is pretty vague :)

When this happens....

• Did this occur when the Helix was hooked up to the computer?
  • Did this occur when HX Edit was running?
  • Did this occur when disconnected from the computer? 

Regarding attempts to resolve.....

• Has anyone attempted to reload the current firmware to see if that corrects it?
  • Has anyone attempted to reload a previous (eg: before 2.8) firmware to see if that corrects it?
  • Has anyone tried inserting a return block to see if the signal gets in that way? 
  • Has anyone tried inserting a really high gain noisy amp or distortion to see if any "noise" is generated at the output?
11 hours ago, PlanetDestroyer said:

Spoke to L6 support and they pushed me to Yorkville which has subcontractors at local music stores.

Let's clarify that to avoid confusion on the forums. Line 6 is not offloading this aimlessly. 

You live in Canada... Yorkville is the distributor for Canada and through agreements they handle all service and warranty for Line 6 products in Canada. 

Their "sub contractors" are actually all Long and McQuade stores across the country. Yorkville and Long and McQuade are the same entity... so they are not exactly "sub contractors".

• 8 months later...

This is a software problem, it has happened to me a few times. Has anyone received information from L6 on how to resolve this issue and why it is happening? . I start to get nervous when I have a commitment to the band and this can happen without warning.

Cheers