Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Use Of M20d Dyn Eq

Where can I find detailed instructions about using the M20d graphic Dyn Eq? The manual contains only general informations now, but I think it'd be a great idea to distribute some detaliled suggestions about deep using all M20d dynamics and effect processors, too. Thanks

• Upvote 1

The dynamic eq works like a parametric eq where the gain is controlled dynamically. This means it can be used to cut or boost a certain frequency when the signal is above or below a certain threshold. For example:

I want to remove some sibilance when my vocalist sings really loud but when he sings more quietly I need these high frequencies so it does not sound dull or muffled.

I set the dynamic eq to cut around 7kHz by 8dB and set the threshold so this starts to happen when my singer gets loud. There is also a second threshold and gain that can be used to, e.g. boost if the singer gets really low.

This example is basically showing how to use the dynamic eq like a de-esser. There are many other ways to shape your sound with the dynamic eq and just trying it is the best way to explore the possibilities.

• Upvote 1

You can also use it the other way around and have it boost an instrument or vocal at some frequency when that channels signal drops too low.  Actually you can do both :)

But don't feel like you have to use it.  No doubt many don't know how to use it because it doesn't exist on very mixers at any price point and a little bit goes a very long way.

• 1 year later...

The dynamic eq works like a parametric eq where the gain is controlled dynamically. This means it can be used to cut or boost a certain frequency when the signal is above or below a certain threshold. For example:

I want to remove some sibilance when my vocalist sings really loud but when he sings more quietly I need these high frequencies so it does not sound dull or muffled.

I set the dynamic eq to cut around 7kHz by 8dB and set the threshold so this starts to happen when my singer gets loud. There is also a second threshold and gain that can be used to, e.g. boost if the singer gets really low.

This example is basically showing how to use the dynamic eq like a de-esser. There are many other ways to shape your sound with the dynamic eq and just trying it is the best way to explore the possibilities.

Thanks for the info!  

This highlights an interesting problem with the M20D and late Line6 products in general.

The products are LOADED with features, yet the manuals and documentation are thin.

If I purchase a stand alone dynamic EQ from from TC electronics the manual for it alone is 18 pages.

Ironically the original Axsys and Vetta manuals were the most well written and comprehensive manuals I've ever seen for any musical product.

I still don't fully  understand the Dyn Eq... Not Line6 fault by any means! I'm really dumb with this kind of things... But if they were kind enough to make a detailed tutorial video  :rolleyes:  :lol:

I really want to take some of the ear offending highs when my female singer sings really loud and bring then back when she is singing softly. That would just be amazing! I just don't know the Dyn Eq well enough to set this up nice and quick every gig  :(