Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix LT LIve Setup

dcfrank65

Hi all, I'm sure this is a very basic question, but I haven't been able to find an answer on this. 

New helix guy, been working with the settings and learning with my Friedman ASC-12 FRFR.

I have an xlr out to the FRFR. I wanted to test an FOH scenario at home. Set up a Harbinger monitor by connecting the xlr out on the FRFR and connecting it to the speaker. When I do this, I lose the sound to my FRFR. The speaker sounds great. I might add that it is MUCH louder than the FRFR. When I turn the speaker off, the frfr works again, The Friedman FRFR has no 1/4 inch outputs. Any idea why I lose the signal to the FRFR?

Thanks,

If the Harbinger is a powered monitor, this should not happen. However, if it's passive, it could be a protective thing in the ASC, preventing the amp from trying to power too low a load. You said the Harbinger is really loud, which implies to me that there's no volume control, which likely means it's passive. Does the volume control on the ASC control the Harbinger's level when it's on? Although the volume control could be before whatever wiring trick is causing the ASC to cut out. I'm not sure of much here, but I am pretty sure that the XLR out on the ASC is NOT intended to be used with a passive speaker. You might have to contact Friedman for affirmation.

Probably easier to send the XLR to the FOH and use the 1/4" to your onstage monitor amp (or FRFR). This allows you to have a constant signal to FOH while you can control the volume of your monitor with the volume knob of the Helix. This is how I use it and works great.

• Upvote 1

The ASC does not have 1/4" Inputs, so OP has no choice but to use the XLR Outs from the Helix. The XLR Out from the ASC is (from my reading of the minimalist manual) specifically intended for the purpose OP is using it for. 

OP - I would contact support at Friedman.

would a small mixer help? Helix 1/4 inch out --> Mixer --> FOH and ASC (or) Helix 1/4 inch out --> Mixer--> FOH and Helix XLR out --> ASC? You could think of using a relatively inexpensive Behringer Xenyx mixer. But you may need 1/4 inch to XLR cables I guess. maybe a little research in that direction can help. 

On 9/3/2019 at 9:02 PM, dcfrank65 said:

Thank you for the reply. The Harbinger is a powered speaker. I have both the Harbinger and the friedman turned up about half way.

In case you hadn't gotten around to it, I went ahead and contacted Friedman support. This is the reply I received:

O the jack is nothing more then a parallel connection. I would be sure the cables you are using are good

Sent from my iPad

On Sep 6, 2019, at 7:37 PM, XXXXXXXXXXXXX wrote:

When the XLR Out is connected to another powered (non-friedman) speaker, the ASC-12 cuts out.

Is this normal? Isn’t that the purpose of the XLR Out, to allow the use of a second powered speaker (or a take-off to FOH)? Or does it only work with another ASC-12?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I use a Freidman ASM 12 for live use. I run two jack to XLR cables, to send a stereo signal from the Helix to the mixing desk. You can configure each output to send either a line or instrument level signal via the global settings. It then leaves me with the XLR outputs free to connect to the Friedman. You can then adjust the volume level of each output to taste.Try it, It works like a dream.