Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Smart patch switching?

PekkaM

Does Helix feature some kind of smart or configurable switching of patches? I dislike the short gap and cutting off of reverb/delay of the previous patch on Pod HD and wondered if the new technology made it smoother.

I can imagine uses for even a fast cross fade instead of short silence.

1 minute ago, silverhead said:

Snapshots. You can have up to 8 snapshots in the same preset and switch among them with no audio gap. It's well described in the manual.

I don't own Helix so haven't even looked at the manual yet.

These snapshots can be completely individual patches with different amps, cabinets, effects etc. that are just grouped under one preset to be used for performing one song or something?

I guess there is still sharp cut between different patches when it comes to reverb, delay etc?

Snapshots allow you to change the state (on/off) of amp and FX blocks within a preset and also allow you to change the values of up to 64 parameters of the defined blocks. The specific blocks and the routing/signal flow of the preset are not changeable by snapshots. You define a preset based on the DSP and signal routing limitations of Helix and then define different  states and settings of the given configuration using snapshots.

Yes - there is still a short audio gap when switching presets. 

• Like 1

On 9/5/2019 at 8:09 AM, PekkaM said:

I don't own Helix so haven't even looked at the manual yet.

These snapshots can be completely individual patches with different amps, cabinets, effects etc. that are just grouped under one preset to be used for performing one song or something?

I guess there is still sharp cut between different patches when it comes to reverb, delay etc?

I believe even in snapshot mode you need to set your time based FX to spill over or not to spill over, which is an awesome option. 

you can switch between amps and cabs, but you'll only get so far as the DSP allows, generally speaking you might be able to have 2 amps and 2 cabs/IRs between both paths.  There is a trade off as you loose dsp power for other FX etc.  

its a balancing game. 

• Upvote 1