Jump to content

QSC K10.2 sounds great with Helix


litesnsirens
 Share

Recommended Posts

For live use I run direct and use in ear monitors so I don’t have any backline or wedges on stage but I still wanted something quick to be able to plug into if I didn’t need or want to set up the whole PA in the rehearsal space between gigs.  I originally bought a powercab for this purpose but I found that it didn’t translate the presets I had created on FRFR speakers even when it was on the FRFR setting.  So I got rid of it and bought a pair of QSC K12.2 speakers.  They sounded great in fact they were great for putting the whole band through at rehearsal even without subs.  In monitor position on the floor direct in from Helix it sounded better than the powercab for my use but not quite the magic I was looking for.  They sounded much better at rehearsal than my Bose F1 PA setup so I decided to switch over.  Sold the Bose bought the QSC subs for live but thought the QSC K10.2 might be better with the subs for live, less boomy and wider dispersion.  So I bought a pair of those.  I haven’t tried them live yet with the subs but they sound way better than the K12.2 with the Helix direct.   This is what I was looking for in a full range speaker for my Helix.  All my presets just sound great through this box.  Which means I no longer have to set up the whole PA to craft presets I can trust that they will translate to the full PA.  So far I will keep the 12.2 for any live venue that I wouldn’t take the subs to, and for rehearsal.  But I think I’ll try the 10s at rehearsal to see how they cut it.  Who doesn’t want smaller and lighter wherever you can get it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got the QSC K10.2's before PowerCab was brought to market and have not been disappointed.  To my ears, I found the 10's sounded much tighter than the 12's.  The QSC's are more expensive than other monitoring solutions, but since that purchase, I've had zero issues with my patches translating well to whatever venue I'm playing at.  So yeah, I'm another guy who would agree that Helix sounds great with QSC K10.2's.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Totally agreed on the QSC's. I run a pair of QSC K8.2's for backline/stage volume and LOVE what I get. FYI, I frequently use my headphone output of my Helix floor with a stereo splitter - TRS Stereo out of the Helix split to L/R mono to each of the K8.2's. This gives me independent volume control over the K8.2's vs. what I send to FOH and I get the fully-baked tone with IR's to the K8.2's. I have 2-DT25's and a Mission Gemini 2 and still think that - all things considered - the K8.2's give me the best overall stage combination of tone quality, output volume (if needed) and convenience. FYI - I do use the "Studio Mon" preset in the QSC's. And the 8.2's are SO EASY to lug in the factory totes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great info!

Be keen to hear more regarding the 8's - very keen to reduce the bulk of gear!

A little OT here, but - 

I have my Helix floor in a road case that also has my folded guitar stands and all cables and spares - it keeps everything together, but it's way too heavy.

So I'm thinking to split it to Helix and seperate cables case.

Still looking for something strong but light for the Helix - can't see a suitable size in pelican cases - open to suggestions

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They had a power cab set up at my local music store and it just doesnt sound that good. There are also a number of other FRFR set up in close proximity. Unfortunately not the QSCs. Since then theyve gotten rid of the powercab altogether. There are number of FRFR options available that are better sounding than the powercab.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/5/2019 at 11:51 AM, litesnsirens said:

For live use I run direct and use in ear monitors so I don’t have any backline or wedges on stage but I still wanted something quick to be able to plug into if I didn’t need or want to set up the whole PA in the rehearsal space between gigs.  I originally bought a powercab for this purpose but I found that it didn’t translate the presets I had created on FRFR speakers even when it was on the FRFR setting.  So I got rid of it and bought a pair of QSC K12.2 speakers.  They sounded great in fact they were great for putting the whole band through at rehearsal even without subs.  In monitor position on the floor direct in from Helix it sounded better than the powercab for my use but not quite the magic I was looking for.  They sounded much better at rehearsal than my Bose F1 PA setup so I decided to switch over.  Sold the Bose bought the QSC subs for live but thought the QSC K10.2 might be better with the subs for live, less boomy and wider dispersion.  So I bought a pair of those.  I haven’t tried them live yet with the subs but they sound way better than the K12.2 with the Helix direct.   This is what I was looking for in a full range speaker for my Helix.  All my presets just sound great through this box.  Which means I no longer have to set up the whole PA to craft presets I can trust that they will translate to the full PA.  So far I will keep the 12.2 for any live venue that I wouldn’t take the subs to, and for rehearsal.  But I think I’ll try the 10s at rehearsal to see how they cut it.  Who doesn’t want smaller and lighter wherever you can get it.

 

On 9/5/2019 at 12:26 PM, lungho said:

I got the QSC K10.2's before PowerCab was brought to market and have not been disappointed.  To my ears, I found the 10's sounded much tighter than the 12's.  The QSC's are more expensive than other monitoring solutions, but since that purchase, I've had zero issues with my patches translating well to whatever venue I'm playing at.  So yeah, I'm another guy who would agree that Helix sounds great with QSC K10.2's.

Just wondering which preset you guys prefer on the 10.2?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/27/2019 at 3:34 PM, willjrock said:

 

Just wondering which preset you guys prefer on the 10.2?

I just use the default preset on the 10.2 for the most part.  I could see myself trying out the monitor presets if i was finding it boomy in a certain environment in that position but so far using it a home in that position it’s been just fine on default.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

Sorry for reviving this old thread but I was reading here and was wondering if there are people that are using Helix in a live setting with only QSC's, so no guitar amplifiers at all?

If you really only use the QSC k10.2 or K12.2, how do you use them? You use a stereo set? A single one for stage sound? 2 for stereo sound and 1 for monitoring purposes? I'm just wondering because, what if you are not in a venue where you can't plug your Helix directly into a PA. A venue that doesn't have a backline or only a very crappy one. What if it's a small venue that doens't even have a PA? You need to have a backline, right? Is the QSC adequate for smaller to medium sized venues and will it not sound thin? The absence of lamps must make it sound different, no? Is one QSC enough (don't really see the use in having a stereo guitar signal on stage to be honest) or should it at least be 2? And if it should be 2, than why?
What other good amplification options are there for using the Line 6 Helix with that pretty much cover everyting from home practice to festival stage and everything in between?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can't speak specifically for the QSC K.2 series, but I have a close cousin to it in a Yamaha DXR12.  I've used it in a number of different ways, and in all cases it takes the place of a traditional amp.  These type of speakers are all simply PA speakers and can be used as a dedicated floor monitor, or in the backline like a traditional amp, as a normal stage monitor or even as FOH speakers.

In smaller, more limited situations where the PA was insufficient or unnecessary for sending the instruments through, I would normally place mine in the backline on a lower height pole to augment the PA which would only have vocals.  I've used it in the same configuration on festival stages simply because it's more easily and consistently heard all across the stage by the rest of the band due to it's wide and consistent sound field compared to a traditional amp cabinet because as a PA speaker that's what it's designed to do.  I currently use DXR12's as both stage monitors as well as FOH speakers with no amps on stage at all.  Again, they're normal high quality PA speakers so they'll present a very precise and full representation of the sound coming from your Helix the same as any high quality PA speaker you'd have FOH.  If you want to use them in stereo you just use two of them running direct from the Helix.

I actually own six DXR12's.  I use four of them (2 monitors, 2 FOH) with the band, I have one I keep at home which I use for dialing in and testing presets, practice and rehearsal, and I have one spare.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...