Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

cant update

Marianobunge

If you followed he same process you followed in the past rather than the process outlined in the release notes, I don't doubt you have problems.  This is a core re-write of the Helix firmware and carries with it some things you have to be clear on doing.  I don't know what process you went through, but the first step is to install HX Edit for the version of firmware you're loading.  If you installed HXEdit for 2.81 and then decided to install FW 2.71 without going through the entire process of installing HXEdit for 2.71 you have the wrong Helix driver installed on your PC as well as the wrong Line 6 Updater.  You have to go through the entire process each time because running the installation of the correct version of HXEdit installs the correct drivers and version of the Line 6 Updater.

That's just a guess of course because you weren't very thorough in giving any info on what happened  in the process of installing 2.81 and 2.71, so it could be any number of things.

18 hours ago, DunedinDragon said:

That's just a guess of course because you weren't very thorough in giving any info on what happened  in the process of installing 2.81 and 2.71, so it could be any number of things.

Hi DD,

This one is double post from someone who doesn’t read the install/release notes or tell you what computer and OS and expects help without criticism.

Sadly, my patience is wearing rather thin when it comes to blatant ignorance!

In the other thread the poster commented “dont let anybody make u afriad”.

I guess they must have been afraid of the truth.

3 hours ago, datacommando said:

Hi DD,

This one is double post from someone who doesn’t read the install/release notes or tell you what computer and OS and expects help without criticism.

Sadly, my patience is wearing rather thin when it comes to blatant ignorance!

In the other thread the poster commented “dont let anybody make u afriad”.

I guess they must have been afraid of the truth.

I understand.  I try to be as patient as possible as I know there are many people that aren't good with technology out there which limits their ability to not only troubleshoot their problems, but also understand and follow technical directions.  But I have to admit it's a real test of my patience.

It's interesting to me that it used to be the case that younger people whined about trying to teach their older parents or grandparents how to use modern technology, and now that seems to have been flipped.  I'm turning 67 in another month and now I seem to constantly babysit MUCH younger people than myself in how to understand and use their technical gear.  Maybe it's just that some people really don't have the patience, desire or concentration to do much more than plug things together and if it doesn't work correctly for them to blame everyone but themselves.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, DunedinDragon said:

I'm turning 67 in another month and now I seem to constantly babysit MUCH younger people than myself in how to understand and use their technical gear. 

I'll be just a couple of months behind you - I hit that in early January. 

I reckon that when this tech stuff really started to change things, from around the early eighties, there wasn't anyone available to ask how to get the stuff to function - you just had to figure it out. Spending hours writing a computer routine in BASIC and loading it from a cassette tape, figuring out MIDI in/out/thru/merge with DIN cables, drum machines that were just spurts of white noise and no synchronisation. We became the technicians by default, and I spend most of my time trouble shooting stuff for people who should know better.

KIds nowadays don't know they're born!

Ooops, I just started to sound like my late father.

;-)

1 hour ago, datacommando said:

I reckon that when this tech stuff really started to change things, from around the early eighties, there wasn't anyone available to ask how to get the stuff to function - you just had to figure it out. Spending hours writing a computer routine in BASIC and loading it from a cassette tape, figuring out MIDI in/out/thru/merge with DIN cables, drum machines that were just spurts of white noise and no synchronisation. We became the technicians by default, and I spend most of my time trouble shooting stuff for people who should know better.

Ahhhhh, I miss the 80's and the midi implementation charts that came with it :)

I often wonder what these forums would be like if the Helix interface and operation was more like a DX7! 

4 hours ago, codamedia said:

Ahhhhh, I miss the 80's and the midi implementation charts that came with it :)

I often wonder what these forums would be like if the Helix interface and operation was more like a DX7! 

Ah, 1983 the year the DX7 arrived, but I went the Roland route with a JX3P because it had an onboard step sequencer. Then in ‘84 got a Yamaha CX5MII computer system which had MIDI which could communicate with other equipment - not just the DX7. Oh, what fun we had with programming that stuff.  Later Drum machines with EPROM. If people think updating stuff is a PITA in the 21st century they would have run away screaming trying to deal with the stuff we had back then.

• Like 1