Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dialing In The Hd500 + Dt25 For Output To Pa

ColonelForbin

Doing as much research and discussion as I can before I get to test drive my new DT25 with my HD500 this weekend. The other guys in the band know it's going to be a  "tone searching" rehearsal and they are stoked to actually be able to hear me! lol :) (Drums + Bass + Tweed 40w, and I was just lost in the mix..)

Anyhow, I am hopeful about your responses to this question, though figured it's worth asking!

I have always sent XLR out from the HD500 to the PA, and in multiple cases, I was dependent on that signal as my primary audio source for the mains and monitors; (which is rather disconcerting.)

So, in a simple as query as possible:

What's everyone's experience comparing what you hear coming out of the speaker of your DT25/50, and what does the corresponding XLR output from the back of the DT sound like going to the mains / monitors?

It would appear that to properly utilize the L6Link, patches and tone creation needs to use only the "PRE" models of the HD500 amps, therefore I would hazard a guess that the XLR outs from the HD500 should not be used.

Basically,  does the DT XLR out sound fine going to the PA?

THANKS!

I did notice it's a relatively low level signal, though the actual quality of sound is decent. It's almost like it's designed to play nice with a snake or other XLR to mixer interface, so as to never overdrive or clip before it hits a gain stage?

IE, if we plug that DT XLR out into] a PA mixer, and add equivalent gain, then also mic the amp, would the gain added to the mic signal be substantially less than the gain added to the DT XLR out?

In that regard, does the HD500 or DT25 allow that DI out from the DT to be adjusted in volume at all from the source, other than with master or channel levels being adjusted?

IT does sound good, didn't hear any fizz, and the amp held it's own without any problems at more than loud enough volume.

Was able to test drive the rig for first time last night. Used my four track Tascam to record, and compare. The tascam does two stereo .wav files, one of the onboard mics, the other a pair of XLR line inputs. Ran XLR out of the DT25 into one of the Tascam line-ins, and dropped a mic in front of the other guitarists amp, to the other line in. (tweed blues 1x12, 40watt.) I had gone to GtrCntr after work before rehearsal, and bought us a pair of amp stands, which really does help the amp project better. Tube amp on the floor just does weird things!

Anyhow, then I set up the tascam with the onboard mics set wide, splitting the stereo distance between the two amps. Overall, I am extremely encouraged, and really happy with what I am hearing in the room, as well as in the recording, both of the "room" sound, and also the direct off the DT25. I will need to pop on some headphone, and isolate that DT25 signal, so I can inspect more carefully for any unwanted noise, fizz, or clipping, but on first listen it seems just fine! The Tascam records at 24bit/96k, so the relatively low signal level isn't a problem, since the data is so dense, you can still get plenty of quality out of the files.

We are going back to jam on Saturday! I am stoked for round two, and our drummer will be there this time.

- One question: Is there a way to have the DT25 in standby, and still be sending audio out of the XLR DI out?

I thought there was, just wasn't sure if it had to be in the low volume mode to do this? From what I could tell, having the DT25 in regular mode, in standby, muted the XLR direct out off the DT25.

I think I will do a test of the output options, going out of the DT25 into the mixer / PA at the next jam tomorrow. Try sending that direct signal around to the other guys monitors, see what their ears hear across the room. There is also a powered full range floor monitor that I want to send a direct feed from the DT into, and see how that sounds.

I did record last night, with a Tascam DR-40, does 24bit/96k, and records a pair of .wav files for each session - one of the onboard mics, one of the line inputs.

I'd like to compare 'room' and close/cabinet mics with the direct feed from the DT. Signal levels are low, but usable. I might do something similar at this jam - I mic'd the other guitarists amp, and recorded my DT25 XLR direct, panned those hard left and right. In second .wav file I positioned the Tascam "room" mics to pick up a stereo blend of our two amps.

I may try to do that same basic rig, except point the onboard mics at the drummer. Would probably then keep the other guitarists' amp mic'd and run my DT direct. For a test, I may also mic the DT25, and run it direct for A/B comparison. Overall, the 1x12 sounds killer! Punchy, tight, and creamy. Nice sustain, handles wah and 'over the top' wild stuff without a hitch.