Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Viable to use single effects from Helix Native as opposed to dedicated single effect plugins?

Nos402

I often want to use just a single effect from Helix (such as just an EQ or Reverb on a non-guitar track or such). I know that in the past, Pod Farm has it's "elements" separated into single plugins (though strange no EQ element on its own). I'm just wondering if this is a viable use. In other words, if I load up Helix Native in my DAW and only have an EQ in the chain, is that a comparable processor load as just using a dedicated EQ only plugin?

I've wondered about this myself, but have never taken the time to test it. It seems as though Native uses a base level of processing power, and then as you add more blocks and effects the CPU impact increases. Also, certain blocks use a lot more power than others. I'd just go ahead and do what you wanna do, and see if you run into any problems!

On 9/6/2019 at 9:37 PM, Nos402 said:

In other words, if I load up Helix Native in my DAW and only have an EQ in the chain, is that a comparable processor load as just using a dedicated EQ only plugin?

Hi,

As I understand it, the point of HX Native is to allow as many instances of the plug-in as your computer processing power can handle. Having said that, I don’t know if that means an instance of HXN with a full signal chain. Obviously, each block will use different amounts of cpu power, but just because you load Native into an audio channel, it doesn’t mean that you have to use every block. I have used it, without using any amp and cab blocks, just to utilise some of the FX on old guitar tracks, although I wasn’t looking to see how much it loaded the processor. I guess when Native loads it grab a chunk of space to work in, but I don’t know if that expands for each FX block you add.

As noted by “soundog in the comment above, just go for it and see how far you can push it.