Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HELP! Expression pedal crazy range on hx stomp

Nicholasbt

When I connect a expression pedal to my HX stmop using a mono cable, I get a range like this: heell position is 0%, toe position is 0% and in between is 100%. If I use a stereo cable I get normal range (heel 0% toe 100%) but then the helix goes crazy and keep flashing "exp 1 active" "exp2 active" and I cant use it.

The expression pedal I am using is a dunlop dvp4 mini vokume/expression

I semt the HX Stomp to maintenance service (still on warranty, via Thomann) and ot came back yesterday with a note saying "no issues found"

What should I do?

(I am running firmware 2.81, this didnt happen before in 2.7...)

I'm no expert, but I believe a TRS cable is needed for expression - someone will correct me if I'm wrong no doubt!

The "exp1/exp2" issue can definitely be solved by setting up the pedal correctly in Global settings. 

I had the exact same problem as you and it took me a lot of trial and error but I got there in the end. 

Unfortunately I'm not at home right now, so I can't tell you what my settings are, however this doesn't sound like a fault to me, so I'm not surprised Thomann found no issues.

I'm sure someone else will weight in shortly with the correct settings to use :)

On 9/7/2019 at 4:21 AM, Nicholasbt said:

The expression pedal I am using is a dunlop dvp4 mini vokume/expression ....

.... (I am running firmware 2.81, this didnt happen before in 2.7...)

That is a key statement ... Can we assume you used the SAME expression pedal (with the same settings) when it didn't happen in 2.7?

If so, something has changed in the firmware which might explain past threads where some people get that expression pedal to work, and others can't. 

26 minutes ago, guitarbloke1980 said:

I'm no expert, but I believe a TRS cable is needed for expression - someone will correct me if I'm wrong no doubt!

Well, I don't really want to be "that guy" but someone has to - LOL!

It's actually pretty complicated. Line 6 products generally want an expression pedal with a TS connection and a 10k pot, wired a certain way... although it will work (hit and miss) with a variety of others as well. There are several different ways to wire an expression pedal... that is why a company like "mission" makes them specifically for certain devices. Blindly buying an expression pedal is a crap shoot unless there is a claim that the devices are compatible. 

This is the wiring diagram for a Line 6 expression pedal... 

line6.jpg.d19751a326758429987d20dddd0cdc8f.jpg

On 9/7/2019 at 3:21 AM, Nicholasbt said:

When I connect a expression pedal to my HX stmop using a mono cable, I get a range like this: heell position is 0%, toe position is 0% and in between is 100%. If I use a stereo cable I get normal range (heel 0% toe 100%) but then the helix goes crazy and keep flashing "exp 1 active" "exp2 active" and I cant use it.

The expression pedal I am using is a dunlop dvp4 mini vokume/expression

I semt the HX Stomp to maintenance service (still on warranty, via Thomann) and ot came back yesterday with a note saying "no issues found"

What should I do?

(I am running firmware 2.81, this didnt happen before in 2.7...)

The Stomp seems to be known for having funny expression pedal issues. What's weird is that it worked for you before. It seems like it ought to be able to again. 

If the stereo cable is flashing "exp 1 active" and "exp 2 active" then that means the Stomp is currently setup so that it is seeing your movement of the expression pedal as a toe switch toggle. It's possible you can fix this by changing the global settings. Here's what I would try first:

1. Go into the "Global Settings" of the HX Stomp. 

2. Global Settings > Footswitches > FS4 Function (Make sure this is set to "Expression  1."

3. Global Settings > Footswitches > FS5 Function (For now, set this to Expression 2." 

4. Global Settings > Preferences > Exp/FS Tip - Set to "Expression Pedal 1."

5. Global Settings > Preferences > Exp/FS Ring - Set to "Expression Pedal 2." 

Test this with both the TS and the TRS cable. Does this stop the switching when you use a TRS Cable (it should)?  Does it still bork out with the middle being 100%?

If you are still having issues here, the last thing you can try is to reverse the polarity. To do that:

1. Global Settings > Preferences > Tip Polarity - Set to "Invert."

2. Global Settings > Preferences > Ring Polarity - Set to "Invert."

3. You can try to alternate between tip polarity being opposite from Ring polarity, but this would only matter if you use the TRS cable. 

If none of this works then I'd open up a support ticket and get Line 6's take on it. It's possible something about the new update messed up the functionality of pedals that used to work just fine. 

• Like 1

Sounds to me that the dunlop dvp4 is not compatible with the Stomp.  I've seen that exact same behavior before on my Helix Heel 0, Middle 100, toe-0 with various incompatible pedals.  There is a list of compatible expression pedals floating around somewhere.

It's like the Pedal you are using is designed for the TRS usage, but the Stomp is not.  You see in the diagram above, the Helix/stomp use a simple resistance circuit.

28 minutes ago, bobcoss said:

Sounds to me that the dunlop dvp4 is not compatible with the Stomp.  I've seen that exact same behavior before on my Helix Heel 0, Middle 100, toe-0 with various incompatible pedals.  There is a list of compatible expression pedals floating around somewhere.

It's like the Pedal you are using is designed for the TRS usage, but the Stomp is not.  You see in the diagram above, the Helix/stomp use a simple resistance circuit.

You'd think, except as he said, it worked just fine on 2.71 firmware. It was the update that killed it. 

• Like 1

Thanks everybody for the tips! I tried all of them, it is working now and I dont know exactly why. I opened the expression pedal, cleaned it a bit, reversed the polarity and then it started working, I put the polarity back to normal and it works fine now. I will dig deeper into the global settings for the expression, all I did there was to choose exp 1. 

I don't k ow if it will continue working, I keep you all updated.

Thanks again so much for all the help!