Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Error initializing code 8201

KRTW

1 hour ago, channelk said:

Do you think there is a way to recover data?

Hi channelk, 

Yep, IIRC -  your 8201 is a badly formatted preset error.

Try this:

Reboot your Helix while holding down footswitches 10 & 11 which should rebuild your presets and update them to the latest firmware spec.

Note: if this doesn’t fix it, then you need to supply more info. What you gave here is not much use! You know we need important stuff like: what hardware, what computer, what OS , what firmware, etc. It’s a big help.

Hope this helps/makes sense

PC, Windows10, Firmware 2.710...Thanks for the response. I will go try the rebuild right now. This is not my Helix with the problem, it is the other guitar player in the band and I have access to his unit. Hmmm, other places say that factory reset is 7 and 8. I am assuming the numbers start at the top left, go right, then the bottom.

6 hours ago, channelk said:

Hmmm, other places say that factory reset is 7 and 8.

There are different reset options. 10&11 starts a rebuild("repair") of your presets, 7+8 deletes every preset.

...by the way, you are using the same HX Edit version as your firmware(2.71)?

• 1 month later...

None of this worked.  I updated HX edit to 2.82.   Using windows 10, Helix has latest firmware.   I would like to just access the preset list in order to manually reload the presets but it will not let me select the preset bank just keeps saying that 8201 error wasn't initialized properly.

On 10/17/2019 at 6:41 AM, kcg003 said:

None of this worked.  I updated HX edit to 2.82.   Using windows 10, Helix has latest firmware.   I would like to just access the preset list in order to manually reload the presets but it will not let me select the preset bank just keeps saying that 8201 error wasn't initialized properly.

Have you tried to load your backup after a factory reset?

...I hope you did one

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Kassia said:

While, if you want to recover data, you can just download data recovery tool, I think the Bitwar Data Recovery software is a good choice, or you can try initialinzing it again, the issue maybe you do not initialize it properly.

Hi,

The Bitwar Data Recovery software that you mention is a tool for rescuing data that has been deleted or damaged by being overwritten. Basically, when you delete a file it is still there, but it’s simply not visible to the user in the regular manner. The file will still be recoverable until the physical disk space it occupies is overwritten by a new string of zeros and ones. 

The issue here is slightly different here as the file is still available, but may have suffered from some minor corruption. The Helix files are essentially JSON text files and can be edited with any editor that can open those type of files. Usually one of the reset methods described above will fix the problem, although there is no guarantee that they will work. These things are likely to happen after a firmware update when the presets need to be rebuilt inside your Helix, which makes them usable by the new FW. The other thing which has been know to happen is a mismatch in the revision number of the Firmware and HX Edit. You may notice that the Helix will perform a “rebuilding presets” routine if you load any of your older patches, or patches downloaded from Customtone - this is to make them compatible with the new system. Also, as the last revision to v2.80 made major changes to the Core of the system  in Helix, some of this stuff is inevitable.

An interesting free option for data recovery if you actually need it - it even works with iPhones, which is worth knowing, so thanks for that.

• 1 month later...

I can't export my presets, or make a back up at all because of this error.

Here's what happened:

I bought some new IR:s and downloaded them to my computer at my studio, that uses OS 10.10 and downloaded the latest HX edit from your website. So far I'd used HX edit on my laptop that uses OS 10.13.6. I uploaded the IR:s and everything seemed to work well, until I tried saving the preset I'd been working on and this "Error initializing code 8201" showed up. It said that Helix needed to be properly initialized (what ever that means...?). I'd spent the the whole week creating the presets and I had made two different user banks. One (USER1) for presets that use Amp&cab simulations and one (USER3) that doesn't. Idea is to use the same exact presets when playing through an amp (USER3) and when playing straight to the PA system. I unplugged the USB from Helix and started editing the sounds manually. Now when ever I change anything in USER3, the same preset changes in USER1, even if I change the names of the presets. So far the only solution I've found was to individually save the USER3 sounds to USER5 bank. Now when I reboot the Helix the presets stay the same. It seems to me that there's something seriously wrong with my Helix and I guess the best way would be to delete everything and start all over again. However, Helix won't allow me to do the backup as I mentioned earlier. I really don't want to loose all of my presets that I've worked so hard for. I bought my Helix 12.11.2019 and haven't made a backup. What should I do???

Same problem here. Brand new Helix LT, so I lost just few hours of work, but I am a bit worried the Helix firmware is unreliable.

The reset with 10+11 switches pressed did not help, I had to reset the unit (keeping IRs) to get back to a normal situation. The problem was that the folder that started to give the 8201 error was kind of corrupted, no operation could be performed without getting error messages on the Mac. All preset names on that folder had returned to be Preset 1, Preset 2 etc, but the previously saved presets were actually there. It kept The backup from working too. And the folder content on the Mac was not the same I had on the unit.

I really want the Helix to be a keeper, but this software issue makes me worry. Please Line6, release a firmware patch and solve this problem!

There is another thread that helped me....I think the issue is coming more from HX Edit.  I followed the steps in that thread which are basically.....

back up your 'good' presets individually...

do a 5 & 12 button power reset (clears presets/setlists/IR lists), they should say new 'preset'

uninstall HX Edit

Reinstall HX Edit package

reinstall 2.82 (or whatever version you like) firmware

import your good presets where you want them

this seems to have worked for me.  I had 2 presets that were corrupt and giving me errors, I thought I had it fixed, but when I rebooted I then had 4 presets that seemed bad.  Tech support has 'never seen this issue before' but as a last ditch effort I tried these steps as they worked for others in that other thread....Seems to have worked so far...I'll find out more tonight.

I think the issue is the interaction between HX Edit and the Helix somewhere that it isn't exchanging data correctly or fully and causing issues when things are saved into the helix slots.

Thanks for sharing your workaround! I also ended up thinking the issue was related to EX Edit, though in my case what also happened is that the preset rebuilding procedure screwed up the preset folders in the Helix (no HX Edit involved here)... after rebooting, the presets in folder 3 got copied into folder 2, and the only preset that was into folder 2 disappeared. And folder 3 was unusable due to the error 8201.

yeah that seems weird, but if its similar to mine....HX Edit created the issue, and then even with Edit not connected to the Helix, when I powered it off/off I got a different result.  So I think Edit is/was messing with the proper formatting/saving/storing of presets and once its bad, its bad...and needs to be wiped out.  

My own amateur evaluation of course....

• 3 months later...
On 12/3/2019 at 6:46 PM, pico322 said:

Thanks for sharing your workaround! I also ended up thinking the issue was related to EX Edit, though in my case what also happened is that the preset rebuilding procedure screwed up the preset folders in the Helix (no HX Edit involved here)... after rebooting, the presets in folder 3 got copied into folder 2, and the only preset that was into folder 2 disappeared. And folder 3 was unusable due to the error 8201.

Unfortunately I fallen down into the same nightmare... did you solve it? I've lost two full presets and no backups available... I'm stupid or the helix sw is really so unreliable (dangerous)???

• 4 weeks later...

Same/ very similar problem here. Might be that HX edit is the cause, don't know about that. But to be honest, this just should not happen. I've opened a ticket with the Line 6 support couple of days ago, but no response so far ...

What I found out is the following (I have no clue whether it is important or not, just wanted to share)

- Reset all setlists of the Helix

- Importing my backed up presets (using setlists import)

- Turn off Helix/ Turn on Helix --> Helix will rebuild the imported presets

- Turn off Helix

- Start my LT connected with USB to my Macbook 

- Open HX edit and copy a preset to a new location

- Closes HX edit and tuyrn off the LT

- Turn on the LT again 

-> At the location where I copied the preset Helix is "rebuilding" the preset. After that I can further change/edit using HX edit without issue (at least, until now).

This is pretty weird because all the presets (including the empty ones) were "rebuilt" after my reset and after the import.

Again, not sure whether this is of importance ... just sharing 

• 8 months later...
6 hours ago, GaryWalker1974 said:

I too have the 8201 fault code to be honest i've just about had my fill with this pile of $#5#

Hi Gary,

AFAIK, your 8201 is a badly formatted preset error.

Try a reset on your Helix hardware by holding down FS5 & FS12 while turning the power on. This will clear all the presets and the IRs, and return the system back to the default settings. 

Once flushed, and back to basics, you can reload all you stuff from the back up you made prior to updating you unit. Then when you find the offending preset - bin it.

Hope this helps/makes sense.