Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New User question

nikedolton2

Hi

I'm considering upgrading from Boss ME-80 to the Helix LT and just wanted to check how easy it was to use in the live environment...I'm presuming the Helix works in a similar way in that you can save a bank for a song or group of songs and then nominate the 8 pedals for a range of sounds . On the ME-80  I have 4 basic pedal options and keep them  in the same order and so  pedal 1 is basic rhythm sound, 2 is my lead sound 3 is my clean/modulated sound and 4 would be any special sound...i.e. octaver ...syth effect etc. Can I use the Helix in the same way  and simply move up and dowm banks as my set requires? Would appreciate your advice

You can easily set up the Helix to do this is Pedal mode.   

it also has snap shot mode which is far more powerful for changing setting per patch. 

I'm sure in reality, you can do far more with the Helix than your current unit could ever do. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, nikedolton2 said:

Hi

I'm considering upgrading from Boss ME-80 to the Helix LT and just wanted to check how easy it was to use in the live environment...I'm presuming the Helix works in a similar way in that you can save a bank for a song or group of songs and then nominate the 8 pedals for a range of sounds . On the ME-80  I have 4 basic pedal options and keep them  in the same order and so  pedal 1 is basic rhythm sound, 2 is my lead sound 3 is my clean/modulated sound and 4 would be any special sound...i.e. octaver ...syth effect etc. Can I use the Helix in the same way  and simply move up and dowm banks as my set requires? Would appreciate your advice

What Heavyville says above is spot on. The Helix LT is FAR more powerful than the Boss ME-80. However, the trick you have to ask yourself is if you are okay getting to a more powerful situation, or even just accomplishing largely the same result as before, in a different way.

Every modeler has its own operating system, and Line 6's is different from Boss's. However, once you learn Line 6's, you can see the advantages and why they've set it up the way they had. I remember I was stuck in stomp box mode afraid to even touch snapshots because that was the closest mode to what I was familiar with. It worked great! Then one day I forced myself to look into snapshots and it completely changed my outlook. 

Even the idea that one footswitch in stomp mode can control SEVERAL different parameters is ground breaking (turn off or on multiple pedals, adjust drive levels, tone, phase, amp mic or treble, IR high and low cuts . . .  all with one button press). 

With Helix you have eight SETLISTS of 128 PRESETS.

A PRESET BANK is 4 PRESETS, and you can have 1 or 2 BANKS visible at a time (configurable).

Each PRESET has 8 SNAPSHOTS. Each SNAPSHOT can control up to 64 parameters of the AMPS/EFFECTS contained in that PRESET.

You can have 4 or 8 SNAPSHOTS visible (configurable).

You have access to up to 10 STOMP (effect bypass) pedals. Each STOMP can also control up to 64 Parameters of the available amps/effects.

You can have 4,5 or 10 STOMPS visible (configurable).

You can mix & match what's visible, with 3 MODES available.

The Expression pedal can be assigned to do most anything.

There's LOTS of MIDI capability.

There's a learning curve.

You NEED to read the manual.

EDIT: I just noticed you're looking at the LT. That has no SCRIBBLE Strips, so what I said about VISIBLE just means available, and only (!) 8 STOMPS.

Also, less I/O capability.