Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Neck profiles

firehawkkwah

I don't have access to any variax in store.

The standard feels like a Pacifica, great, easy enough to try out.

What do the 59 and 69 most closely resemble? In particular the neck; the body doesn't matter as much to me.

I prefer smaller necks and fretboards.

My current guitar has nut width of 42mm, with medium jumbo frets and a 9.5 inch radius. Seems like all the variax have flatter profiles?

But it's not just the specs, of course, so any specific (hopefully common!) necks I can sit down with to try out before mail ordering would be appreciated!

I would say the 59 neck resembles a Gibson Les Paul - a bit thicker/fatter. It also comes with Jumbo frets. The 69 is more like a Fender Strat neck and comes (I think) with medium frets. Based on your preference for smaller necks and fretboards I would go with the 69.

2 hours ago, firehawkkwah said:

So for small neck, the standard is the way to go?

Preferences for neck profiles are an individual thing... you're never gonna be able to predict whether or not you'll like the way one feels from reading someone else's description. If you're overly picky about it, get the 69. It'll accept any Strat replacement neck out there. Worst case scenario, you replace it with something from Warmoth, and  then you can choose from a number of different profiles. It's always a gamble if you're buying sight unseen though... and that can't be helped.

• 8 months later...

I have a Standard and I have found the neck to be perfect for my small hands. I wanted to purchase the '59 but playing a neck that wide and thick would never work for me. In a perfect world, I would love to see them make a '59 with a standard neck.