Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Power Cab vs Combo Amp

drb1982

I currently run my helix through the fx return of my combo tube amp. I really like the sound I get. I’ve always liked the sound of quality amp modelling, but I’ve really struggled with cabinet modelling, and I just can’t get into FRFR. I’ve been eyeing the power cab for the last few months, but I’m wondering what benefit I would gain from switching. I get that it has multiple speaker simulations, but I’m pretty happy with the eminence speaker in my combo amp. For those of you who have switched from using helix with a tube amp to the power cab, what are your thoughts so far? Was the switch worth the extra $1,000? How so?

1 hour ago, drb1982 said:

I’ve really struggled with cabinet modelling, and I just can’t get into FRFR. I’ve been eyeing the power cab for the last few months, but I’m wondering what benefit I would gain from switching. I get that it has multiple speaker simulations, but I’m pretty happy with the eminence speaker in my combo amp.

Although I am a huge fan of FRFR I can understand those that prefer the "amp in the room" tone from a standard cab rather than FRFR. I'm not so sure the standard Powercab would give you any real benefits since you have to manually change the settings.... but the Powercab Plus (or the newer 212) has the ability to jump between several speaker simulations and full range (FRFR) from preset to preset on the Helix.... that is a huge benefit. 

Imagine a Marshall amp model pumping through a Celestion Greenback or Creamback... change to a VOX model and the powercab shifts to a Blue Bell... change again to a Deluxe Reverb and the powercab shifts to a Jensen. If you ever play acoustic instruments... you will love setting a patch on the Helix and having the powercab use the full range (FRFR) mode.

Another benefit is that you can take a direct out from your powercab straight to the PA... no longer having the need for another live mic on the stage. 

1 hour ago, drb1982 said:

but I’m wondering what benefit I would gain from switching. I get that it has multiple speaker simulations, but I’m pretty happy with the eminence speaker in my combo amp.

Until you actually hear the speaker simulations in the PC PLUS, you wont know. Go listen to one. You can thank me then.

8 hours ago, codamedia said:

Imagine a Marshall amp model pumping through a Celestion Greenback or Creamback... change to a VOX model and the powercab shifts to a Blue Bell... change again to a Deluxe Reverb and the powercab shifts to a Jensen. If you ever play acoustic instruments... you will love setting a patch on the Helix and having the powercab use the full range (FRFR) mode.

Codamedia said everything !

If you only want to play FRFR, i should tell, don't buy a PC (i know that's not your case;)).

The PC/PC+ brings you the best of the 2 worlds : "amp in the room" and versatility of modelers....

I assume that your amp gives you a good feeling but wether it's neutral and you feel the amp difference (only i'd liked to say) or your cab's speaker has its own behavior that will color every amps...

I enjoyed playing yesterday evening, just pick an amp sim and play with the changing speaker models in PC+, one to another, this is really a totally different rendering.....