Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX EFFECTS - Cabling

lemoulnierg

6 hours ago, lemoulnierg said:

Hi everyone,

I would like to know the most optimized cabling to integrate my new Boss SY-1 (see attached image)

Thanks in advance ! :)

Sans titre.png

Schéma câblage.docx

Well, honestly the answer is going to be a "that depends." With the depends being what you want to accomplish sound wise.  

If it were me, my first place I'd try to put it would be after the Output L/Mono on the HX Effects, but the Output R (why right - why not left?) of the Boss could be a good choice too. 

Those would be what I'd try first so that the SY-1 is hopefully clearer. You could still try it in other spots though and see. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your solution @Kilrahi !

Sans titre.png

BOSS also replied : "I see that on your Line6 pedals there is a second effect loop unused for the moment. I think this would be the ideal connection to see how to integrate the SY-1 without changing your current wiring. You will be able to choose when the SY-1 intervenes via the Line6 pedals."

What do you think about his proposal ? :) 

image.thumb.png.bbad86c9f2f54d43414365b3112cce66.png

27 minutes ago, lemoulnierg said:

Thanks for your solution @Kilrahi !

Sans titre.png

BOSS also replied : I see that on your Line6 pedals there is a second effect loop unused for the moment. I think this would be the ideal connection to see how to integrate the SY-1 without changing your current wiring. You will be able to choose when the SY-1 intervenes via the Line6 pedals.

What do you think about his proposal ? :) 

image.thumb.png.bbad86c9f2f54d43414365b3112cce66.png

That's a really good idea too. I have to admit, that's probably the BEST approach for efficiencies sake because then you can move the FX block that represents the SY1 anywhere in the chain. You could have it at the start of the chain, in the middle, at the end, and drop it in each spot until you find the tone you prefer. 

I always forget about the second FX loop option. I'm still kind of old fashioned in that when I use additional pedals with the HX I tend to want to stomp on them to activate them, and place them in order. 

Another plus of Boss's suggestion, by using the second FX loop, you can basically keep the SY1 on at all times, and then just push buttons on the HX Effects to activate or deactivate the loop at will. This results in less tap dancing, and better control over your whole rig. 

Edit: The ONLY downside is it eats up one of your HX Effects usable blocks (which probably is NOT that much of a downside - you have quite a few), and if you run the SY1 on batteries you probably won't want to leave it on all the time, but then that removes the flexibility of the one button FX block push. 

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

Further to the above discussions, I have an SY-1 in FX Loop 2 of my HX effects so that it is permanently on and I can engage / disenage the loop by preset/stomp.

However what I would really like to do is send the SYNTH sound directly to the PA mixer (before the amp) and only have my guitar through my amp but retain the ability to do this by preset.

I tried individual SEND and RETURN blocks, i.e. FX LOOP SEND>> SY-1 INPUT>> SY-1 OUTPUT>>PA, with the FX LOOP RETURN block switched off but then my guitar signal seems to bypass the pre-amp and EQ on the AMP itself.

Would it be possible to place the SY-1 on the OUTPUT R, i.e. OUTPUT R >> SY-1 INPUT >> SY-1 OUTPUT >> PA .... and configure the OUTPUT R signal before the AMP? 

Or any other suggestions?