fenderbenderlax

MIDI CC with Snapshots

Hi All,

I'm trying to switch channels on my amp using the Voodoo Labs Midi amp switcher. What I would like to do is to enable snapshot changes to also switch channels on my amp. I have not been very successful at getting this done.  I have my helix set up in the stomp/snapshot mode where the FS on the top row work on stops and the FS in the bottom row are assigned to snapshots. When I assign a separate FS in the top row to a CC toggle, channel switching works perfectly. However, when do the exact same assignment in the bottom row switching no longer works. Any thoughts on how this can be achieved? 

Thanks

When you load a Snapshot it sends any commands assigned to the "Instant Commands". It does not send commands assigned to Stomps.

To do what you're trying to do, assign the Channel Switching commands to "Instant Commands" (lightning bolts).

3 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

When you load a Snapshot it sends any commands assigned to the "Instant Commands". It does not send commands assigned to Stomps.

To do what you're trying to do, assign the Channel Switching commands to "Instant Commands" (lightning bolts).

I did try that as well and it did not seem to work...is there a way to assign the lightning bolts to specific snapshots?? I wonder if I'm missing something there...

5 minutes ago, fenderbenderlax said:

I did try that as well and it did not seem to work...is there a way to assign the lightning bolts to specific snapshots?? I wonder if I'm missing something there...

The Snapshot you're in when you assign the Instant Command is the Snapshot that the Instant command is assigned to.

Check your Global settings. If you have Preferences, Snapshot Edits set to Recall, then you can set all the Snapshots at once and just SAVE the Preset once when you're done. If it's set to Discard then you'll lose the settings when you change Snapshots unless you SAVE each Snapshot before changing to another.

Keep in mind that the IC that loads when the Preset is selected will be the one assigned to the Snapshot that was active the last time the Preset was SAVEd.

Also, when a Snapshot is selected it sends the assigned ICs ONCE. It won't send those ICs again until you load a Snapshot the sends a different VALUE on the assigned PC/CC.

Example:

SS1 sends CC# 1 Value 10. SS2 sends the same. The message will only be sent once, not every time you toggle between Snapshots.

SS1 sends CC#1 Value 10, SS2 sends CC#1 Value 20. Toggling between Snapshots will send Value 10, then 20, then 10 again.

Lastly (and most annoyingly), As soon as you assign a message type to ANY Snapshot IC, Helix automatically assigns that message type with it's default Values to ALL Snapshots in that Preset on that IC. You then need to set a Value for ALL Snapshots in that Preset on that IC, or the default will be sent.

Example:

SS3 IC1 is assigned "MIDI CC". The default value is CC#0/Value 0. ALL Snapshots in that Preset now have IC1 assigned to CC#0 Value 0.

If you change the CC# and Value of IC1 in SS3 to 15/27, IC1 in SS3 will have those settings, but all the other Snapshots will still show IC1 as 0/0.

So, if 15/27 changes the amp channel to Channel 3, and 0/0 changes it to Channel 1, all Snapshots except SS3 will switch to Channel 1.

Are we having fun yet?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rd2rk said:

The Snapshot you're in when you assign the Instant Command is the Snapshot that the Instant command is assigned to.

Check your Global settings. If you have Preferences, Snapshot Edits set to Recall, then you can set all the Snapshots at once and just SAVE the Preset once when you're done. If it's set to Discard then you'll lose the settings when you change Snapshots unless you SAVE each Snapshot before changing to another.

Keep in mind that the IC that loads when the Preset is selected will be the one assigned to the Snapshot that was active the last time the Preset was SAVEd.

Also, when a Snapshot is selected it sends the assigned ICs ONCE. It won't send those ICs again until you load a Snapshot the sends a different VALUE on the assigned PC/CC.

Example:

SS1 sends CC# 1 Value 10. SS2 sends the same. The message will only be sent once, not every time you toggle between Snapshots.

SS1 sends CC#1 Value 10, SS2 sends CC#1 Value 20. Toggling between Snapshots will send Value 10, then 20, then 10 again.

Lastly (and most annoyingly), As soon as you assign a message type to ANY Snapshot IC, Helix automatically assigns that message type with it's default Values to ALL Snapshots in that Preset on that IC. You then need to set a Value for ALL Snapshots in that Preset on that IC, or the default will be sent.

Example:

SS3 IC1 is assigned "MIDI CC". The default value is CC#0/Value 0. ALL Snapshots in that Preset now have IC1 assigned to CC#0 Value 0.

If you change the CC# and Value of IC1 in SS3 to 15/27, IC1 in SS3 will have those settings, but all the other Snapshots will still show IC1 as 0/0.

So, if 15/27 changes the amp channel to Channel 3, and 0/0 changes it to Channel 1, all Snapshots except SS3 will switch to Channel 1.

Are we having fun yet?

wow....thanks for the detailed walk through...it is super helpful...I will try it out either later today or tomorrow....seems like this is going to be painful to go through our 40 song setlist...wonder if there is an easier approach...not to mention, I'm currently only using the the midi out to control the amp switcher...but plan to take the midi out of the switcher into the midi in for the DigiTech Whammy DT and assign both Whammy and Pitch drop settings for presets as well...the fun is just starting...