Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Display of DSP Percentage? Newbie Question

sami568

Is there a way on the Stomp to display percentage of DSP used by the current preset?  If not, is there a chart published somewhere that indicates how much DSP the various blocks use up?  (So you can figure out how close to maxing out you are)    I guess if there are no elegant ways to determine CPU percentage, I could always try adding on a chorus to my signal path - if it accepts the extra block I am well within limits - if not, then I could try to add some less CPU intensive block and see what happens.  

Here is the minimum I need:  ROTARY + PREAMP + DELAY + REVERB  (with expression pedal for PREAMP VOLUME and expression pedal for ROTARY MIX)   Is this too much CPU for the stomp????  (I guess I could live without the second expression pedal if necessary...)

ALSO - Let's say you have a preset that uses 99% of your DSP.  You are playing along and you dig into a note - or maybe you wiggle your expression pedal quickly - is it possible that you might exceed your CPU limit and cause some kind of signal interruption?    If so, what happens in such situations?   Do you just loose reverb or something - or does the sound drop out?

Thanks again for the help!  I am looking forward to getting my HX Stomp via Amazon TOMORROW!  

5 minutes ago, sami568 said:

Is there a way on the Stomp to display percentage of DSP used by the current preset?  If not, is there a chart published somewhere that indicates how much DSP the various blocks use up?  (So you can figure out how close to maxing out you are)    I guess if there are no elegant ways to determine CPU percentage, I could always try adding on a chorus to my signal path - if it accepts the extra block I am well within limits - if not, then I could try to add some less CPU intensive block and see what happens.  

Unfortunately, there's not an official one, but the link below SEEMS to be pretty accurate. I have no idea how it was calculated. 

http://benvesco.com/store/helix-dsp-allocations/

Ultimately though, as a Stomp user I've never needed to get THAT detailed.  You kind of get a feel for it very quickly, and at least for me, when I do run out of DSP I can quickly search for substitute effect choices that get me there. 

Here is the minimum I need:  ROTARY + PREAMP + DELAY + REVERB  (with expression pedal for PREAMP VOLUME and expression pedal for ROTARY MIX)   Is this too much CPU for the stomp????  (I guess I could live without the second expression pedal if necessary...)

Hmmmm . . . this really doesn't sound like much DSP at all. First, the expression pedal won't take up DSP. That's a controller function, so you just connect the two pedals, and in the above, you're only using four blocks. 

ALSO - Let's say you have a preset that uses 99% of your DSP.  You are playing along and you dig into a note - or maybe you wiggle your expression pedal quickly - is it possible that you might exceed your CPU limit and cause some kind of signal interruption?    If so, what happens in such situations?   Do you just loose reverb or something - or does the sound drop out?

Thanks again for the help!  I am looking forward to getting my HX Stomp via Amazon TOMORROW!  

No, it's impossible for that to happen. If the Stomp says you can do the chain - you can do it.  There's no risk while playing that you suddenly won't have enough processing power. 

• Like 1

"Unfortunately, there's not an official one, but the link below SEEMS to be pretty accurate. I have no idea how it was calculated. 

http://benvesco.com/store/helix-dsp-allocations/"

Since I use a tube power amp (BOOGIE 250) I only use the preamp models.  There is no listing for those separately - but I bet I end up saving another 10% by this measure....  It is nice that the Stomp allows us to make this savings.  When I record I will use the full amp-cab models, but then I will be adding reverb and delay in my DAW - so I anticipate I will still be OK then too!

The table IS very also interesting as I get to see what all the model abbreviations stand for!  I cant wait to try the Bogner