Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Powercab with Tube Amp

fenderbenderlax

Hi All,

I'm toying with the idea of getting a Powercab to go along with my helix. At present I'm running a pseudo two amp rig using a Tube amp into a traditional guitar cabinet and the helix modeled amp into a Headrush FRFR. It works fine although I'm not particularly pleased with the sounds from the Headrush. I was thinking of getting the Powercab 112 plus. I have a couple of questions though

a) Can I connect my Tube amp into the Powercab using a load box. Specifically Amp out --> Captor Load box --> Line out (dry) from the captor into the Powercab for use with some of the speaker sims? 

b) Would the Powercab be a significant upgrade from the Headrush if I were to use it alone with the Helix (especially given the difference in headroom).

Thanks

I think yes to both questions. But check the impedance and output level of your load box to be sure it matches powercab input.

I've never used a Headrush FRFR but have lots of experience with JBL EON610s - I used two for a couple of years with Helix. PowerCab is a bit improvement as its designed for guitar, no PA vocals. PA speakers disperse differently and the JBLs were somewhat scooped in the mids, not a good thing for guitar.

14 hours ago, amsdenj said:

I think yes to both questions. But check the impedance and output level of your load box to be sure it matches powercab input.

I've never used a Headrush FRFR but have lots of experience with JBL EON610s - I used two for a couple of years with Helix. PowerCab is a bit improvement as its designed for guitar, no PA vocals. PA speakers disperse differently and the JBLs were somewhat scooped in the mids, not a good thing for guitar.

Thanks amsdenj...I'm still contemplating the Powercab (it is just so expensive) :-)...

• 9 months later...

I'm considering getting a Hughes and Kettner Grandmeister 40 that has a "Red Box Emulated DI out".  It allows you to send your signal directly to a mixer or PA, etc.  Couldn't I connect the amp to a PowerCab Plus by way of this Red Box DI? That way I would have access to tons of IR's.  I currently have a Helix now with two PowerCabs but the Hughes and Kettner Grandmeister is all tube with multiple channels, delay and modulation effects.  I'm considering it because the Helix really is way more than I need and I would like to simplify things.  I'm somewhat ignorant of these things.  Here is a link to info on the amp I'm looking at:  http://hughes-and-kettner.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/GrandmeisterEN_LowRes.pdf

Could I please have some input from you guys? 

Thanks in advance.  If this works, I'll have a Helix and a PowerCab Plus for sale :)

• 1 month later...

Hi, I’ve used the PC 212 with my TM18 head. I connected the XLR / Redbox to the PC XLR 1, I set the PC212 to FRFR as the TM18 has emulated line out.

sounded really good but I did have to change the EQ significantly from using the H&K 1x12 cab 

• 1 month later...
On 8/13/2020 at 6:19 PM, lperry65 said:

Hi, I’ve used the PC 212 with my TM18 head. I connected the XLR / Redbox to the PC XLR 1, I set the PC212 to FRFR as the TM18 has emulated line out.

sounded really good but I did have to change the EQ significantly from using the H&K 1x12 cab 

Using the Hughes and Kettner Grandmesiter 40 with the PowerCab Plus has been the same, but you can turn the emulation off and use the IR's in the PowerCab.  Sounds good but I wonder if I can just go speaker out (instead of the Red Box) from the amp to the PowerCab.  Thoughts?

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/19/2020 at 7:18 PM, phowell said:

Using the Hughes and Kettner Grandmesiter 40 with the PowerCab Plus has been the same, but you can turn the emulation off and use the IR's in the PowerCab.  Sounds good but I wonder if I can just go speaker out (instead of the Red Box) from the amp to the PowerCab.  Thoughts?

You should be able to use the fx send, but as there is no load built into the PC you cannot use it like a cab ! 

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/19/2020 at 1:18 PM, phowell said:

If you go speaker out to the PC I think you will fry your amp...if you have an internal load you can then use the line out I think to the PC...I thought about it for a while but decided against the Powercab...the speaker modeling just seems a bit closed and for pure FRFR its not worth the price tag IMHO..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

There are three ways you can use the Grandmeister with the Power Cab Plus. One is to use the red box and go into the XLR in on the PC and then dial in the tone. Because the GM Redbox has speaker emulation, you can go FRFR to capture what the GM is doing with Redbox. You can also use the Line Out, which is the preamp out to a power amp (or to a tuner). Here, you can use the PC like a power amp and cab. Here, you could use the speaker setting or the IR setting on the PC. This is truly using the PC as a power amp and cab. The third way to do this, is probably the best and that is to use the GM in the FX loop of a processor that allows you to do this like the Helix. Here you could use an FX Loop with the GM in the signal chain and then the out goes to the Power cab from the processor and then you dial in speaker, IR or FRFR