Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix 2.810 Variax Custom Tuning Per Snapshot using Variax

drmathprog

I've set up a patch with Snapshots with Variax. One snapshot using standard tuner, the other mimics Keith Richards's 5 string G - D - G - B - D tuning. For the second tuning I've assigned the 5th and 1st strings for pitch detuning and assigned them to a snapshot controller. This feature seems to work perfectly. I've also assigned the 6th level to "0" and assigned it to the Snapshot controller in the same way as the detuning. The problem is that while the detuning works perfectly, the string level is erratic and unpredictable. Sometimes when the Snapshot is selected the volume is correctly set to "0", and other times it remains at "100". I can't even detect a pattern to its behavior.

Any suggestions?

Using the Helix to control the Variax has always been rather unpredictable in my experience.  I have this tuning as one of my custom models on the Variax. This means I can customise the body and pickups etc, and just switch tuning between Model and Standard (which is just a one click position change on the Variax Tuning knob).  I also have one of the Variax custom models set to Rick Parfitt's version of Open G with both the Low E and A strings tuned to G - it saves having to avoid the low D of the normal Open G and gives a real low end thump on power chords.

Don't know if this will help but as GBR said, the Helix has had it's issues with the Variax. One of those issues was fixed, the last upgrade but, I was told, if it's a patch from a previous Helix version, I might have to re establish the Snapshot connection which, I believe, just means unassigning the parameter from Snapshots and reassigning it again. I haven't had to do that but it might be worth a try in your case if it's a patch you created before the 2.81 upgrade. I'm not sure if you have to save the patch after unassigning it and reassigning it after that for the re establishment to work. Worth a shot if that's the case.