Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Amp & Cab Block defaults vs. other cabs

themetallikid

Ok, so there is something about the stock cabs that I like (been using Ownhammer Friedman IR's the last year or so).  I've never really used the A&C block, always separated them out for more control, but really trying to simplify my signal chain and thought I'd give it a try with some simple presets.  Something about the stock (default) cabs really cut through nice.  My pinch harmonics seemed more punchy and the tone seemed to have more of a cut sound to it. 

Anyway....

Does anyone have any fave 'non-default' stock cabs they change to with certain amps?  So far the amps I've used have all sounded pretty good with minimal EQ'ing (pre cut - 150hz-ish, post EQ - 125hz-7.0 Q, maybe a touch of 600hz, but nothing major.  None of those are more than 1.0-2db).  I've even created a 'fuzz' preset to get me that Bush/Collective Soul type sound that just doesn't sound right with regular dirt. 

This is a rabbit hole for most of us. 

my current stance on Cabs vs IRs is 

IR's have worked better for me for getting the tones where I want them in studio recordings. 

Cabs seem to be more "forward" so I use them for solos or single string work.  I always use 2 cabs generally the 57 on the grill and ribbon pulled away. 

this is just something I noticed in my studio and to my ears and current tastes. 

Ultimately, I still have a preference for IR's, but it takes a lot to find the ones that work for each patch etc.    It really pays off to already know about mic choice and positioning. 

The Hiwatt cab is big and bold, I use it sometimes with an 87 pulled way back to give some depth as the second cab. 

the more i write this, the more i'm inclined to say experiment with them all, the variables are immense, and if it sounds good, it is good, lollipop the settings. 

One very last thought. 

I look at the IR/ Cab thing as tools in my tool box of tones.   

its awesome place to be but also generates a lot of varying opinions among all the humans involved in digital manipulation units. 

I take the stance on this is a great place to be for creating tones. 

I appreciate your info, and I'm well aware of the rabbit hole, and know of the 'differences' between the IRs vs. stock cabs....

was more so asking if there are any stock cabs that you change from the 'default' cab that loads with the Amp.  I'm at work, so I don't have the list of amp/cab combination defaults...

but if you load the JCM800 amp it has a default cab....what is 'your' default cab for that amp and why, if you change it from what loads. This is really for those that use the stock cabs more than IR's.   I know its all subjective, was just looking for some popular ideas that others have discovered. 

1 hour ago, themetallikid said:

I appreciate your info, and I'm well aware of the rabbit hole, and know of the 'differences' between the IRs vs. stock cabs....

was more so asking if there are any stock cabs that you change from the 'default' cab that loads with the Amp.  I'm at work, so I don't have the list of amp/cab combination defaults...

but if you load the JCM800 amp it has a default cab....what is 'your' default cab for that amp and why, if you change it from what loads. This is really for those that use the stock cabs more than IR's.   I know its all subjective, was just looking for some popular ideas that others have discovered. 

I generally use the Cali V30 cab and the Hiwatt cab if I'm using the cabs, they've become my defaults to go to. 

9 hours ago, themetallikid said:

I rarely use stock cabs myself, but when I do I generally use the default cab for that amp as a starting point, but I always use a dual cab so I can mix dual microphones and distances.  That may vary however depending on which guitar I'm using and the style of the song.  But I generally start with the default.  That's why it's just so much simpler for me to use an IR because there's a LOT less tweaking of values to get the sound I want.

For whatever reason there's nights where I just fiddle and twiddle the whole night away.

As a matter of fact, last night I swapped the default cab on the A30 Fawn Nrm with the 1x12 Cali IV. Fiddled around once I got there and tweaked even more stuff . . . but I have to say, for me, I really like the results.