Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix/HX Stomp as a USB interface & muting the Right input

ttkfirst

Hello,

I use my HX stomp as a USB interface connected to a computer for further audio processing.

My instrument is plugged in the Left input port, and the signal is processed by some effect blocs, then sent to the external FX loop via the stereo Send port,  and caught back through both Return ports Left&Right.  So my computer receives the whole affected signal through the "USB inputs1&2" as stated in the HX Stomp manual.

What I want to do is recording independently a second intrument in my computer, that would be plugged into the Input Right port. According to the manual, it should correspond to "USB input 6"

However, I don't want it to be affected by any effect nor being heard through the main out.

So, how can I do it? How to mute the Right input / taking only the Left input channel as a mono signal while having something plugged in the Right port?

(I don't want my instrument to be hard panned left, just because the HX stomp sees something in its Right input port)

Thanks for your help!

Uh.... I got nothing. The Stomp really doesn't allow for dual instrument use without the hard panning (that was kind of an advanced use that pushed the Stomp's abilities anyway) and your use of the FX send and returns in the left channel kills any tricks for using those.

Are you recording both instruments simultaneously or something?

Recording two instruments separately/concurrently without effects is no problem - an empty preset with the Output block set all the way down - -120db, One track set to Input 5 (Left Input), another track set to Input 6 (Right Input), you're good to go. Use VSTs for effects.

The rest I can't figure, don't think it can be done.

In reality, the Left Input is my intrument, while the Right input is my bandmate signal. That way, after mixing both tracks in my computer, I can hear everything in my IEM, including a click track from my DAW.

I was wondering, is there an effect  block that would take a left hard panned signal and convert it to a simple mono signal?

• 7 months later...

@ttkfirst did you ever find a solution?

For the purpose of organizing my compact pedalboard, I would like to use the Return(R) as my guitar input (while still using my FX loop on the L channel), however I can only select Return(L+R) in the input block.

Is there no way to specify L or R in the input block (i.e., a mono input on the L or R channel) when there is something plugged into both L and R channels?

I'll add that the L and R channels for both the inputs and returns are separate channels (i.e., there are 4 separate analog input channel), so I see no reason why Line 6 wouldn't let us select mono inputs (or mono returns), either L or R. This seems like an unnecessary barrier to flexibility in using the HX Stomp.

Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 8.57.37 AM.png

If you plug your guitar into the return, that takes the Input Impedance Circuit out of the chain. The IIC is important to the tone of certain effects.

If the guitar isn't going DIRECTLY into the Stomp then that doesn't matter, as the pickup loading is being done by something earlier on your board.

If the signal chain is simply flowing through the Stomp, you can take the input from Return 1/2, then immediately following the Input block place a split with Path A panned hard left and Path B panned hard right. Put a FX Loop L Block on Path A. Whatever comes in the Right Return will bypass the Loop.

• 2 years later...

Hi! Since firmware update 3.5 I've "accidently" found a way to manage inputs 1 & 2 with more flexibility on my HX Stomp, not a perfect solution but very useful for me. 

The solution : Start with the new STEREO IR BLOCK right at the beginning of your chain, with EMPTY IRs SLOTS

Cons : it uses one block and you can't add any other IR then in your chain :/ (looks like the HX Stomp is limited to 2 IRs max)

Pros : in the stereo IR block parameters you can do whatever you want with setting up independent input 1 and 2 levels, panning, and polarity. So if you have both input 1 and 2 plugged in (I'm not using the HX Stomp as a USB interface but I assume this would also work there, to be confirmed if you have any feedback) then the signal at the beginning of the chain is stuck to stereo L (input 1) / R (input2) but you can mute input 1 or 2 per preset by setting respectively IR A level or IR B level to its minimum value, plus you can pan the remaining signal at the center if you want (adding any mono block afterwards also does the trick) so that you finally have a preset with a single input signal centered while still having something plugged to the second input, and you can still do A/B path splitting afterwards in your preset if you want to!

Note : the fact that the stereo IR block is set with empty IR slots means the 2 input signals are left untouched, so in fact the new stereo IR block found in firmware 3.5 is hacked here to become a flexible stereo input management block.

Of course Line6 should definitely provide with that same flexibility directly inside the input block and per preset, that would make far more sense ( next firmware update please ! =) ) 

Regards,

Matthieu

Capture d’écran (187).png

Capture d’écran (186).png

Capture d’écran (185).png

Capture d’écran (184).png

• Like 1

Instead of wasting your IR block, try these (attached).

2 to 1 uses a FS to switch L/R Inputs into a single signal chain.

2 to 2 allows use of both Inputs into separate signal chains. This example is configured for guitar and bass but could just as easily be configured for acoustic and electric.

Input 2 to 1.hlx Input 2 to 2.hlx

• Upvote 1

Thanks rd2rk :) I like the Pan block trick for your "2 to 1" preset, very simple and efficient.

I didn't know the Pan block would act as a filter in the stereo field, very interesting, I though it would rather bring everything from the stereo field (L and R) at the desired panning. There is unfortunately no control over the input 1 and 2 signal levels there but it would work great in most cases for me :) 

I like the idea that the stereo IR block gives you control over the independent levels, final panning and also low cut / high cut of inputs 1 and 2 at the same time but yeah sacrificing IRs in a preset can be uncomfortable in many situations :/

Cheers,

Matthieu

I like the idea. Last year I was experimenting with the Stomp as a 4-channel mixer for two mics and two guitars. Which is possible, but slightly awkward to actually mix the four channels, since a pair is always lined up serially and thus e.g. EQing guitar A will affect the sound of mic A and vice versa. Finding a good balance requires quite some finetuning. A blank dual IR block might help here. I will definitely check that out.