Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp Buzzing Loudly only when USB connected

mikeharris7

Hi all - I have a strange issue going on with my Stomp. Whenever I have it plugged into the computer with the USB cord I get loud buzzing. Even more weird, the tone of the buzz will alter as I close or open programs or web pages. This is most problematic when editing or creating presets. I made sure the Stomp is not assigned to be my audio interface for the computer. I'm running Windows 10 on a Dell laptop that is a little older now. 

2 hours ago, mikeharris7 said:

Hi all - I have a strange issue going on with my Stomp. Whenever I have it plugged into the computer with the USB cord I get loud buzzing. Even more weird, the tone of the buzz will alter as I close or open programs or web pages. This is most problematic when editing or creating presets. I made sure the Stomp is not assigned to be my audio interface for the computer. I'm running Windows 10 on a Dell laptop that is a little older now. 

Is there a reason you aren't using the Stomp as your main audio interface?  That's exactly what it's designed to be.

Another thing to always check is to make sure the USB cable isn't borked. 

If it's the noise I'm thinking of, it's a ground loop. Usually a ground loop is 60 cycles, but the USB involved type is kind of a high frequency whine, like a giant mosquito. I've had it in multiple configurations (complicated studio setup). Most recently I was running the computer's audio out to my Scarlett mixer/AI. Though my Helix wasn't the AI, I was getting the noise. I put a cheap Pyle "Hum Destroyer" that I got on Amazon for a few bucks between the computers audio out and the Scarlett input, and that solved the problem.

23 hours ago, Kilrahi said:

Is there a reason you aren't using the Stomp as your main audio interface?  That's exactly what it's designed to be.

Another thing to always check is to make sure the USB cable isn't borked. 

I have a Steinberg as my audio interface. I'm not opposed to using the Stomp just mentioned that I turned that off. 

21 hours ago, Heavyville said:

What else is hooked up to the Stomp? 

this is definitely a ground loop issue. 

start unplugging other things to see if it goes away. Try other plug sockets. 

you can try and chase it down or do what @rd2rk mention with a hum destroyer type device.

good luck. 

It literally ONLY happens when I plug it into the laptop. It doesn't matter what else is plugged into the Stomp so far. 

On 9/14/2019 at 10:13 AM, mikeharris7 said:

It literally ONLY happens when I plug it into the laptop. It doesn't matter what else is plugged into the Stomp so far. 

Understood, but its important to understand what else is plugged in to your "signal".  

I also get a ground loop issue when USB is connected and i'm also routing a signal to a physical amp at the same time.   The USB is the culprit that's causing it for me. 

so when i'm adjusting my physical amp i cannot have the USB connected. 

i can resolve it with a hum eliminator device, but unplugging it is way cheaper. 

• 1 year later...

I had this problem for some time. It's a ground loop issue that the HX Stomp is wickedly clever at finding. I tried EVERYTHING. But one day I realized there was one connection I overlooked...
My computer monitor was connected  to my computer's HDMI output. When I disconnected the HDMI cable,  the hum disappeared. So I just use my VGA output on my computer instead. Small price to pay. That hum was beyond annoying. I did try plugging the power of my monitor into another circuit but that didn't help so I just left it. Just Happy it's gone. 
G

Sorry I do quote myself :P

On 3/28/2021 at 11:37 PM, PierM said:

These noise problems are rarely caused by USB cables, but instead it's typically interferences produced by devices connected to the PC/Laptop, passing through. Try unplugging everything from that PC, apart the Helix, and see if does help.

In my experience, many times are PC monitors using HDMI ports, but can be virtually anything using a wall socket.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
On 8/22/2022 at 9:46 AM, Caller9 said:

Same problem. Goes away when the USB is disconnected from the HX Effects.  Tried with a laptop, same issue, USB causes a high pitched whine and static sounds while it is connected.

On 9/13/2019 at 10:18 AM, rd2rk said:

If it's the noise I'm thinking of, it's a ground loop. Usually a ground loop is 60 cycles, but the USB involved type is kind of a high frequency whine, like a giant mosquito. I've had it in multiple configurations (complicated studio setup). Most recently I was running the computer's audio out to my Scarlett mixer/AI. Though my Helix wasn't the AI, I was getting the noise. I put a cheap Pyle "Hum Destroyer" that I got on Amazon for a few bucks between the computers audio out and the Scarlett input, and that solved the problem.

The "hum destroyer" worked until I added more devices - I had only 3 at the time but I typically have 12 USB devices connected with no problem and I have others that I add in as needed. The problem is not caused by the number of devices but rather by their ground interactions.

Start by unplugging all of your USB cables at the computer (except wireless kb/mouse dongles) then reconnect them starting with the most important ones until you find the culprit. Then swap ports until the noise abates. If that doesn't get it then sometimes (as in my case) a powered hub will do the trick. I still have the "hum destroyer" in one part of the system where it seems to be the only fix. Good Luck!

• 8 months later...
On 4/11/2021 at 1:10 PM, jonathanpike said:

I have the exact same problem - used a hum buster and it seems to have fixed it. Annoying problem but I'm glad I happened to have a hum buster around

I know it's been a while, but can you let us know what one you used? I have one that has worked for me in the past, but for some reason when I use it the HX Stomp XL will not connect to HX Edit. Thanks.

On 5/19/2023 at 5:13 PM, sineline6 said:

I know it's been a while, but can you let us know what one you used? I have one that has worked for me in the past, but for some reason when I use it the HX Stomp XL will not connect to HX Edit. Thanks.

Are you asking about USB cables or "hum busters"?