Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Unwanted midi message on snapshot

litesnsirens

I have several footswitches on my helix dedicated to control various functions in bandhelper which is an app on my iPad.  This is done via midi over usb.  

I don't often use snapshots but there are a few tunes.  On one particular patch the I do use snapshots there is one snapshot (8) that seems to be sending a midi message to my ipad.  But it's not the same midi message that is assigned to that footswitch when I leave snapshot mode and I have no midi messages assigned to any of the instant commands.

I can't figure out where I would even look to try to edit that to see if I can find a hidden midi message in there.

Anyone have any ideas?

It's sending a midi message to my bandhelper to choose the previous song.  Which in turn sends a midi message to helix to pull up a different preset.  In the midi messages that I have programmed intentionally, bandhelper responds to midi notes for the commands.  I have set it up to use midi notes 48 through to 53 to control the six functions within bandhelper.  

The midi note number that I have assigned to the offending footswitch in stomp mode is note 53 (F3) but bandhelper seems to be responding to note 48(C3) which I have assigned to a different footswitch in stomp mode.  Other than this anomaly... The footswitches are performing all the programmed functions.  It's just this added one I can't get rid of... I'm at work now but I'll attach the preset when I get home.

I'm attaching my patch for "where the streets have no name".  The snapshots are all synth chords for the intro (I'm tuned down a half step) The offending snapshot is snapshot 8 "no chords" which I hit just before the vocals come in.  As soon as I hit it, it changes the song on my iPad which changes the song on my Helix, so now I have the wrong lyrics and the wrong guitar tone.

I can't see anywhere that this is embedded into the preset or the patch in general for that matter.  Unless snapshot 8 is somehow triggering foot switch 2 from stomp mode. 

STREETS NO NAME.hlx

OK , I had some time to play with this, and this is what I found:

First, I'm on v2.81 of both the FW and HX Edit. It Shouldn't matter that you're on 2.80, but who knows?

In HX Edit, most of the Snapshots threw an error message, quick flash (improper parameter) then a generic Snapshot error.

All the Snapshots were playing the same chord.

It was sending way crazy MIDI messages, including a sysex message, which Helix technically (AFAIK) can't do!

Since you didn't mention needing to send MIDI NOTE messages to external devices, I deleted all of those.

That took care of the crazy MIDI messages it was sending.

Be aware that Helix has a longstanding bug which I thought they'd fixed. Sending MIDI NOTES with Snapshots causes crazy stuff to happen.

When I looked in the Bypass Controller Assign section I found a NOTE SYNC controller connected to the MOD CHORUS ECHO.

I deleted that and that took care of the Snapshot Error message.

All the chords appear to be playing correctly, and the NO CHORDS Snapshot stops them. I assume that's what you intended?

I don't know what's up with the NOTE SYNC thing, you'll need to work on that.

Try the attached modded version. Let me know if it's all good, and get back again when you solve the NOTE SYNC thing, I'm curious about that.

STREETS NO NAME.hlx

1 minute ago, litesnsirens said:

Thanks, I can add the midi notes to the stomp section again.  I just don't want any midi attached to the snapshots.  If you got rid of that it should be good, What page or area are you able to see and delete the midi messages from the snapshots?

That's in Command Center. Your Snapshots were set up properly, which is why they're working in the modded version I sent, but they were sending the MIDI NOTES attached to the Stomps, and that's what I was explaining about the MIDI NOTES bug. That's NOT supposed to happen!

I worked on this a couple of versions ago, and If you send me that list, I might be able to get it to work, or at least be able to establish that it's the SAME bug, and remind L6 that it's NOT fixed! The reason I need the list is that it doesn't appear that each Stomp is sending a different NOTE, which is part of the bug, the NOTES CHANGE after they're entered and saved, so I need to know what NOTES you originally intended for each command.

Here's a Screenshot of the NOTES bug in action.

I set five Stomps to send NOTES C thru E.

I set five Stomps to send CC#s 1 thru 5.

Snapshot 1 starts the 4Note Osc, and sends C, FOUR TIMES!

Snapshot 8 Stops the 4Note Osc, and sends NOTES C thru E!

Snapshot 2 does the same as SS1, and SS8 again sends all five NOTES.

When you select a Snapshot, the values on the Stomps are NOT supposed to send at all! And, if you set them to CCs, as you can see, they DON"T SEND!

It's a BUG!

So, if this works for you with your iPad App, OK. Maybe it was that weird sysex message that was causing the song change. Let me know.

On 9/13/2019 at 8:43 PM, litesnsirens said:

Thanks so much for diagnosing this for me.   We just lost power in my area due to a thunder storm so I can't test anything until it comes back on.

Happens so often here that I have 3 UPS units!

Here's the latest working version, with the proper notes per your list, and a screenshot of what the first two snapshots are sending.

DAMN! I think I got it!

IF the settings don't magically change overnight!

I seriously hope they don't!

NO UNINTENDED MIDI BEING SENT!

In Stomp Mode, proper MIDI from every button in every Snapshot.

IF the settings don't magically change overnight........

FINGERS CROSSED!

STREETS MOD.hlx

The patch works perfectly now.  Thank you.  

You previously said that I would go into command centre to view this but that it was a bug.  While I realize that you used a midi monitor to see what was going on here, where you able to see any midi settings in the snapshot in command centre to edit it and get rid of the midi data that was being sent from the snapshots.  I'm just curious as I can't seem to see any of that stuff.

The problem was being caused by the Stomp settings being different in each Snapshot, and two of them sending the same value.

At the top of the CommandCenter is a Snapshot selector. You use this to configure the individual Snapshots. BUT.....

In Global-Preferences you should set Snapshot Edits to RECALL - at least while you're configuring in CommandCenter - makes it easier since you don't have to SAVE the preset between Snapshot Edits. Otherwise, when you change to a different Snapshot, you lose the settings you've just made! If you've got a MIDI Monitor running (I use MIDIOX - it's FREE!) while you do the configuration, each time you change the Snapshot in CommandCenter you can see what the new Snapshot is sending, and switch back and forth to see the interactions in the Monitor.

When you set a Stomp (or an IC) to send a type of message (PC, CC, NOTE, whatever) that Stomp (or IC) is now set in EVERY Snapshot. You can change the VALUES, but you can't change the message TYPE.

Remember I said that CommandCenter will send the assigned VALUE once, but won't send it again until a DIFFERENT value has been sent? And that Stomp Values aren't sent on Snapshot changes, only ICs, and then only if the VALUE has changed?  In addition, there's a special rule where NOTES are concerned. NOTES don't send on Snapshot changes - UNLESS they're in LATCHING mode. There's a lot of IF/THEN/ELSE logic going on there, and somewhere in all those algorithms is the bug.

Something about the way the Stomps were configured was causing the Stomp messages to send on Snapshot changes. Although the NOTES were properly set in MOMENTARY MODE, they were sending anyway. BUT they were ONLY sending NOTE OFF, whereas in MOMENTARY mode they should have been sending NOTE ON/NOTE OFF (if they were going to be sending at all, which they shouldn't have been). That was a CLUE, but I didn't know what it meant! When I went in and made sure that the individual Stomps in EACH Snapshot had the SAME values, and that each Stomp sent a DIFFERENT value within the individual Snapshots, it fixed the problem.

Did that sound confusing? YOU BETCHA! That's why it took me so long to figure out. 

The combination of CommandCenter and Snapshots is incredibly powerful, as is the IRS, and understanding it's LOGIC is nearly as difficult as understanding tax laws!