Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Topology Switch With/without Podhd Connected

aggravation

If I understand it correctly (large assumption on my part...) switching topology I, II, III andIV with PodHD connected via L6 Link lets you decide the negative feedback loop configuration and the preamp choice stays as the PodHD preset dictates.

However, if you don't have a PodHD connected it is switching the preamp model assigned to that switch position. To assign the negative feedback loop characteristic you have a separate control in the DT Editor.

So is the negative feedback solution strictly a software modeled component or is there some relay switching going on that doesn't take place when the PodHD isn't connected?

If you ask me the negative feedback is changed by relay switching, with or without connected PODHD.

The difference is that without the POD, the DT also changes Pre amp modelling.

With the POD connected the pre amp is comming from the POD and stays as is.

• Upvote 1

If you ask me the negative feedback is changed by relay switching, with or without connected PODHD.

The difference is that without the POD, the DT also changes Pre amp modelling.

With the POD connected the pre amp is comming from the POD and stays as is.

If that is so then you couldn't put just any preamp in any of the four positions and expect it to stay true to its model.

You would have to put only type I preamps in slot I....etc.

That is indeed the case, as far as I understand.

Don't forget that without the POD the DT is Just a "simple" Two channel amp.

I dont see it that way, I have 4 different preamps on channel A and 4 different on channel B. So by using the channel toggle and the topology toggle, without the PodHD connected I'm switching between 8 different distinct sounds. The tone stack and volume, gain, etc of A is shared by its 4 preamp choices... the same with B, but other than that it is more of an 8 channel amp than 2.

You can match any topology with any amp model using DT edit. You can also change the topology of the hd500 model running into the DT by changing the switch on the amp while the Pod is connected. You can mix em up, which I do, as it gives me sounds I want, or leave them true to the models. It's great to have choices.

• 3 weeks later...

you don't unless you have a POD HD.  The only way to access them and make changes is by midi connection to a computer with DT Edit.  otherwise you only have what it came with.  If you have a POD HD you don't need to change them because all the same amps are in the POD.

How does the new DT firmware update impact this?

DT Firmware 2.0

"Available as a free download, v2.0 firmware takes your DT amp from four voicings to total flexibility. Create never-before-heard amp tones by pairing any of 30 HD preamps with any combination of dynamic topologies within Reinhold Bogner’s reconfigurable tube power amp."

that is what allowed you to choose from 30 different amp models for your 8 saved configurations.  It doesn't change any other things related to accessing those saved modesl.  You still basically have a 2 channel amp with 4 variations for each channel.

How does the new DT firmware update impact this?

DT Firmware 2.0

"Available as a free download, v2.0 firmware takes your DT amp from four voicings to total flexibility. Create never-before-heard amp tones by pairing any of 30 HD preamps with any combination of dynamic topologies within Reinhold Bogner’s reconfigurable tube power amp."

The update allows you to programme in the full range of HD500 preamps into the DT rather than just the four in the original firmware.  You no longer need an HD500 to get access to those sounds - it is done over midi.  If you have an HD500 it's of little benefit as you could get to those sounds via the HD500 anyway. But it's pretty cool if you have specific sounds you want and don't want to go via HD500.  To my ears it gives a better sound if you go straight from guitar to DT than if you go via HD500 (less processing?).  The update also allows you to change the reverb effect associated with each channel setting (again over midi).