Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using 2 Inputs And 2 Outputs On Your Pod - Bleeding Problem

frankiman

Hi everyone

I've had my POD for a while but now I am using more of its capabilities in this new band I am in. I have a guitar with piezo and magnetic outputs. So I send one cable to the "guitar in" for magnetic pickups and another cable to the AUX input in the POD.

I set my patch so the left signal (assigned to top row patch) is for the magnetic pickups, and right signal (bottom patch for my piezo pickup). I then have the left output go into an amp and the right output go into a PA for my acoustic tone.

I indicate to the POD that input 1 is Guitar and input 2 is AUX.

So far so good. I use the volume pedal to go from acoustic to electric. It works great

PROBLEM:

I now go to a different patch which has a distorted signal on top and a clean amp at the bottom. I control them with the expression pedal. Commom sense tells me I should tell the POD that input 1 is guitar, input 2 is Variax (to ensure the Aux channel is not on) and I send the signal of both patches to the left in the POD'x mixer, ensuring that audio is only going to the amp, not the PA. I STILL GET SOUND THROUGH THE PA. The left channel bleeds into the right and the only solution would be to unplug the right output to the PA, but it is not a practical solution when you are playing live and using these patches in one song.

I tried figuring out this by turning all effects off, thinking that some effects might be stereo and would bleed, but even just having the 2 amps with no effects you can still hear sounds coming from the right channel (PA) when it is muted on the POD.

Any help or suggestions are welcomed, thanks for reading

What physical outputs are you using on the HD500? Are you using the XLR outs for one side and one of the 1/4" outputs for the other? If you're using only one of the 1/4" outs, the left and right outs are summed, so that could be one reason why you're not getting separation you expect. The solution is to put a dummy plug in the 1/4" out you're not using.

Hi Phil, I am using both 1/4"  outputs, not XLRs. Maybe I can try what you suggest or maybe just using XLR outs and avoid the 1/4 outputs?

The XLR's keep the L and R separate, and the 1/4 inch outs should do that too, if both are in use, however, if only one is used then it will sum both L+R to mono and feed it to the used output.  It could be that mechanism that is broken and it is not recognising you are using both outputs.  So, if you try using the XLRs and get the same result, then that will mean it's a problem with what fx blocks you are using in your paths.    In which case, please provide specific detail on exactly how your patch is created. 

I've had similar issues In trying to separate xlr l&r out to power monitors from my 1/4" out to power amp for my guitar playing. I have tried the suggested dummy 1/4" out, but to no avail. I am very much frustrated trying to get the outputs going in the proper direction.

Curious to see how this thread plays out.

Here's an example of the problem I have www.sendspace.com/filebz1iow

the sound should go to the left channel only, but it bleeds to the right. It can even be heard using headphones, and it can be also heard if sending L output to my amp and R to the PA

You will notice in the mixer I have the right output muted

Don't know what I am doing wrong...

I can't get that link to work. It goes to the site, but there's no file there.

Do you have it so each path in the mixer is hard panned? It sounds as if this might be the problem. The other thing could be if you have effect blocks after the mixer block in the signal path. This would cause what you're experiencing, too.

I got that too work. I didn't realize you were using the bean, so my comments above regarding the XLR outs don't apply. I do believe the 1/4" outs on the bean sum if you only have one connected, but that's not the issue here...

Anyway, I don't see anything odd with your patch as far as the signal flow. You should only be hearing sound out of the left output. The one thing I forgot to ask was whether or not you have the bean connected to your computer when you noticed this happening. I have noticed this sort of thing happen now and again with my HD500 while attached to my computer and using HD500 Edit. It clears up when I'm not connected to the computer. That's about the only thing I can think of now.

Hey phil, im using the pod hd500x pedalboard, not the bean.

I am connected to the pc at home, using headphones, but when jamming with the band i am not connected to the pc and experience the issue, being able to hear the magnetic pickups patch on the pa speakers, when that should obly pick up my piezo sound. :-(

Do you get the same problem if you only use the XLR outputs?

It's worth testing because if it does not occur with the XLRs then at least you know the problem is with the 1/4 inch outs.

If it occurs with the XLRs then it's an internal issue and you would need to contact Line6 support and perhaps have the unit sent in for repair - or maybe get a replacement.