Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider V Remote no internet access detected

cmonid

Hi

Spider V Remote 2.00 does not detect my internet connection (look at the screenshot). I have this problem with windows 7 and windows 8.1
Has anyone ever encountered this problem?
Would you have a solution to this problem?
Spider V Remote works well on Mac OSX and Windows 10

233/5000

0.thumb.jpg.3f969608a64f4fdbcac9f5e117ecb9f5.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I do not think it's a server problem. This is a software problem that does not detect my network configuration on windows 7 and windows 8.1
Spider V Remote works correctly on Mac OS X, Windows 10 and iPad (iOS)
I opened a trouble ticket with the support Line 6, but their answer is that the problem comes from my computer and not the software because I am the only one to have reported this malfunction

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I have the exact same problem on my HP laptop, running Windows 8.1. But the Cloud and My Tones work fine on my Android version.

Currently just using my phone to get preview and get new tones, but I'd much prefer the PC version to flash tones directly to the amp.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have the same problem on my HP 8.1 windows machine. My Tones will work on my android phone and on a new tablet I bought a few weeks ago. Does Line 6 still not have any suggestions besides updating to Windows 10 ?

• 1 month later...

I didn't see a solution and had the same problem. I found that dns.google was being blocked by OpenDNS due to adware/proxy anonymizer category I block on my home network. What this tells me is the app may be running afoul of users that have finer security controls.

If you have issues getting to dns.google via a browser, the app likely is running into problems as well. Hope this helps somebody.

Not sure why the Spider Remote app needs to go to dns.google but I suspect it is just to validate an "up" Internet connectivity. A bit pointless in my opinion if it can break the app for perfectly healthy Internet connections!

Uncle Jeb

Edited by unclejebjones
More clarity

• 1 month later...

Did a fresh install on Windows 8.1 and I get the same error. Analyzing my outgoing network data points to a failing TLS handshake with the IP address 8.8.8.8 (dns.google). Somehow the Remote App uses a connection to this service to determine if an internet connection is available. As this handshakes fails, the Remote app shows the "no internet access detected" error message. 

Please advise! 

Android App is working fine (Samsung Galaxy S7) 

• 7 months later...

Since Thursday 08th April 2021 I detected the same problem in the Spider Remote: "NO INTERNET ACCESS DETECTED". I am a Windows 10 user, before that date I didn't have this problem (more than a year using the editor and it worked fine). 

I HAVE POSTED THIS SITUATION IN THE LINE 6 FACEBOOK GROUPS (MANY GROUPS IN DIFFERENT LANGUAGES) AND SEVERAL PEOPLE INDICATED TO BE PRESENTING THE SAME FAILURE SINCE THIS WEEK. They are all Windows 10 users, Mac users have reported no problems at all.

I don't know if or how often Line 6 reads these posts, so I can only encourage users with this problem to send a ticket to Line 6 so they can see that something is going on and take action.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Desde el día jueves 08 de abril de 2021 detecté el mismo problema en el Spider Remote. Soy usuario de Windows 10, antes de esa fecha no tenía este problema (mas de un año usando el editor y me  funcionaba bien). 

HE POSTEADO ESTA SITUACIÓN EN LOS GRUPOS DE LINE 6 DE FACEBOOK (VARIOS GRUPOS EN VARIOS IDIOMAS) Y VARIAS PERSONAS INDICARON ESTAR PRESENTANDO LA MISMA FALLA DESDE ESTA SEMANA. Todos son usuarios de Windows 10, los usuarios de Mac han indicado no presentar problema alguno.

No se si Line 6 lea estos post o con que frecuencia lo haga, por lo que sólo me queda alentar a los usuarios con esta falla a que manden un ticket a Line 6 para que vean que algo esta pasando y tomen cartas en el asunto.

2021-04-09.png

2021-04-09 (1).png

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

EDIT: Mixed up two issues. The following is for people having problems to run Spider Remote on a freshly installed Windows 10 machine (like me while debugging the internet access issue) I will keep it here for reference. 
---

Back in October I tried to systematically analyze the error and logged messages and, luckily, I resolved this issue and informed Line6 support with specific information. Unfortunately, it seems like they did not update their product or documentation if this is still an issue. Some users reported this back in 2019...

It started with no Internet access on Windows 8.1. Then I upgraded to Windows 10 with no success, I even tried compatibility mode. Unfortunately, the whole application would not start and just close after the splash screen. 

However, I found out that you need to download and install the Visual C++ 2013 (!) x86 Redistributable. After installing it the software works. 
The Spider V Remote App ships with Visual C++ 2017 x86 Redistributable, which seems to be the wrong version or not enough. 

This is what is shipped with the Line 6 Spider V Remote installer (it is extracted to a temp folder and then called silently)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable (x86) 14.11.25325

And this is what seems so to be needed on a fresh windows install:
Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable (x86) 12.0.40664

You can download the necessary installer files directly from Microsoft. 
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, soldierkahn said:

sorry Jinx, I tried both the "Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable (x86) 14.11.25325" and the "Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable (x86) 12.0.40664" versions, but still no dice brother.

Maybe I was mixing up two separate issues, sorry. At first I had the no internet connection error. To debug this issue I upgraded to Windows 10 but IIRC the whole application would not load. After installing the Visual C++ files it worked. 

Maybe there is still another issue as I wrote in October. Something regarding the way the application checks for internet access (failed TLS checks with dns.google).

Too bad Line6 does not seem to be active in their own "community" forum. 

6 minutes ago, jinxjinxsen said:

Maybe I was mixing up two separate issues, sorry. At first I had the no internet connection error. To debug this issue I upgraded to Windows 10 but IIRC the whole application would not load. After installing the Visual C++ files it worked. 

Maybe there is still another issue as I wrote in October. Something regarding the way the application checks for internet access (failed TLS checks with dns.google).

Too bad Line6 does not seem to monitor this forum. 

now orries brother, you at least gave me something to try, and thats more than LIne 6 has given lol. Ill keep troubleshooting my end and if they provide anything worthwhile ill post it back here. fingers crossed brother because i love LOVE Line 6 Spider products

13 hours ago, jinxjinxsen said:

Too bad Line6 does not seem to be active in their own "community" forum. 

Hi Jinxjinxsen!

Thank you so much for getting involved in the solution to this.  In the past I have heard people who could not run the App because it closed immediately, using the method you describe Visual C++ have managed to solve it (Thanks for such a valuable contribution to the community), but currently there is a different fault.

I for example never had problems with the App in the year I've been using it (I didn't have to do the Visual C++ thing), but since last Thursday this error started.  Also in the Facebook groups I discovered that many users had the same thing happen to them, all at the same time, and only to Windows users. I think that Windows changed something with its background updates without us noticing and that change affected the way the Spider Remote detects the Internet connection. I've already checked the Firewall, but that didn't fix anything. I think the problem is something internal to the program. I sent a ticket to Line 6 to see what they say, hopefully they will fix this problem once and for all.

But if anyone has any ideas on how to fix it, I am all ears.

• Upvote 1

Same problem here - used to work fine until couple of days back I got this no internet access issue. This has ben going on for others for a while now and I am surprised support ppl from L6 did not come with any fix/walktrhu/walk-around.

for what its worth, when debugging these errors are thrown every 2-3 secs:

Exception thrown at 0x74D246D2 (KernelBase.dll) in Spider V Remote.exe: 0xE0434352 (parameters: 0x80131509, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x70020000).

VS C++ trick did not work for me.

any help appreciated.

cheers

Edited by xiehu
typos
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

im having the same issue now and the sad part is i just got me a new guitar by jackson with a flyod rose and wanted to change up some stuff on my spider v 30 guess ill have to break the tablet out :( really hope they get a fix out really love being able to use my windows 10 laptop to make on the fly edits of the my spider v 30 amp 

• Upvote 1

I went through this palaver last year. Had it set up and working and then it just dropped out and never worked since. I've tried kicking firewalls into touch just in case, and now have a brand new PC with barely any software on it, minimal configuration, so just Cubase and a few utilities. Raised a ticket, had some to and fro with them. Support know there is a problem, there is no fix so they just make suggestions off a list that aren't going to work.

The Windows interface is much easier to use for me than my phone. There is a horrible workaround of saving via the Spider - edit on Windows, store on the Spider, then store on the Cloud via phone, but that's too much grief for something that should work. I think the Helix is getting all the love at the moment, and they don't seem too bothered about their reputation. Great products, but if you can't be confident that they are going to invest in support, I'd certainly think carefully about buying further products from Line 6.

It's not like the Android version is bug free - it loses its login but doesn't know it, so then saves don't work. You then have to log out and log in again to get it to work. I'm sure they've known of that problem for a year or more.

It doesn't inspire confidence that they also know that they have a basic install problem not installing the 32 bit 2013 VC++ redistributable which is an install program fix and they haven't resolved that (I hit it on my new PC install).

• Upvote 1

i have the same problem and im really mad about it. At least give us some kind of message that you are working on it. the feature is down for me since january and i tried everything mentionend to this problem on the net. i could work with the software crashing every 5 minutes but now its completly broken. i feel used as a customer and i wont buy from you again.

Alright, I just figured out what is happening and got it to run. Can't believe I have to do Line6 work again....

DISCLAIMER: I don't work for Line6. This worked for me, I can not guarantee that your problem is caused by the same error.

TL;DR: This is an easy to fix bug for Line6, but THEY HAVE TO DO IT! Quick fix would be changing their software from checking https://8.8.8.8 to https://dns.google.com/ or literally any other web page, including line6.com

Technical details after doing some deeper analysis: The Spider V Remote software tries to find out if it has a network connection by trying to open https://8.8.8.8/ (Google DNS server webpage). But somehow, Google seems to have moved around some things and is now throwing a status 404 File Not Found error.

QUERY:
GET https://8.8.8.8/ HTTP/1.1
Host: 8.8.8.8
Connection: Close

RESPONSE:
HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2021 09:02:29 GMT
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
Server: HTTP server (unknown)
Content-Length: 1561
X-XSS-Protection: 0
X-Frame-Options: SAMEORIGIN
Alt-Svc: h3-29=":443"; ma=2592000,h3-T051=":443"; ma=2592000,h3-Q050=":443"; ma=2592000,h3-Q046=":443"; ma=2592000,h3-Q043=":443"; ma=2592000,quic=":443"; ma=2592000; v="46,43"
Connection: close

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang=en>
  <meta charset=utf-8>
  <meta name=viewport content="initial-scale=1, minimum-scale=1, width=device-width">
  <title>Error 404 (Not Found)!!1</title>

I installed Telerik Fiddler (a proxy software to analyze HTTP requests) and configured it to

# only capture Spider V Remote traffic

# inspect HTTPS traffic

# manipulate the response from https://8.8.8.8/ to be a static response with the normal status 200 code.

# passthrough everything else

And with just enabling my proxy rule I get the login form in Spider V Remote and can now login successfully.

My 2 cents: Line6 should just completely remove their online check and show errors if there is no net connection. What kind of advantage does it have to query Google every 10 seconds (and why NOT EVEN THEIR OWN LINE6 SERVERS which need to be accessible anyway). Now Google moved some things around and this breaks Line6 software, great stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jinxjinxsen said:

Alright, I just figured out what is happening and got it to run. Can't believe I have to do Line6 work again....

DISCLAIMER: I don't work for Line6. This worked for me, I can not guarantee that your problem is caused by the same error.

TL;DR: This is an easy to fix bug for Line6, but THEY HAVE TO DO IT! Quick fix would be changing their software from checking https://8.8.8.8 to https://dns.google.com/ or literally any other web page, including line6.com

Technical details after doing some deeper analysis: The Spider V Remote software tries to find out if it has a network connection by trying to open https://8.8.8.8/ (Google DNS server webpage). But somehow, Google seems to have moved around some things and is now throwing a status 404 File Not Found error.

QUERY:
GET https://8.8.8.8/ HTTP/1.1
Host: 8.8.8.8
Connection: Close

RESPONSE:
HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2021 09:02:29 GMT
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
Server: HTTP server (unknown)
Content-Length: 1561
X-XSS-Protection: 0
X-Frame-Options: SAMEORIGIN
Alt-Svc: h3-29=":443"; ma=2592000,h3-T051=":443"; ma=2592000,h3-Q050=":443"; ma=2592000,h3-Q046=":443"; ma=2592000,h3-Q043=":443"; ma=2592000,quic=":443"; ma=2592000; v="46,43"
Connection: close

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang=en>
  <meta charset=utf-8>
  <meta name=viewport content="initial-scale=1, minimum-scale=1, width=device-width">
  <title>Error 404 (Not Found)!!1</title>

I installed Telerik Fiddler (a proxy software to analyze HTTP requests) and configured it to

# only capture Spider V Remote traffic

# inspect HTTPS traffic

# manipulate the response from https://8.8.8.8/ to be a static response with the normal status 200 code.

# passthrough everything else

And with just enabling my proxy rule I get the login form in Spider V Remote and can now login successfully.

My 2 cents: Line6 should just completely remove their online check and show errors if there is no net connection. What kind of advantage does it have to query Google every 10 seconds (and why NOT EVEN THEIR OWN LINE6 SERVERS which need to be accessible anyway). Now Google moved some things around and this breaks Line6 software, great stuff.

Hey jinxjinxsen,

I was trying to mimic what you've done but found Fiddler not trivial to "fiddle" with.

Did you edit the rules script? How can I copy your rule into my system? Is it easy for you to explain?

Thank you,

Best regards

jinxjinxsen You are a GENIUS ! ! !

This news have made my day, my week and my month. You have no idea how sad I've been since this problem happened.

Please can you explain us how to fix the bug step by step (like someone who doesn't know much about programming). I'm sure I'm in the same case as you because I get the 404 error when try to open the 8.8.8.8 address.

Line 6 has shown in the past with facts that they don't care about us. And is happening again!

My only hope is in you.

PLEASE teach us how to do it.

Many many many thanks!

Iván

• Like 1

EDIT: There is now a easier workaround with a new executable Spider V Remote file. See the following post

In my opinion the fastest way for regular users to create a workaround is with a proxy software like Telerik Fiddler. I will try to explain it with Telerik Fiddler Classic for Windows. I added a screenshot for Fiddler options.

DISCLAIMER: DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK! This will basically fake some content on https://8.8.8.8/ on your computer only for the runtime of the Telerik Fiddler software. 

1. Download Telerik Fiddler Classic (it's free) for windows. https://www.telerik.com/download/fiddle

2. Start the software. Directly after starting all web requests (browser, apps, software, etc.) on your computer will be routed through this software (called a web proxy). This software is usually for networking/web debugging purposes. No information is made public.
Normal: Browser/Application <-> Webpage.
With Fidddler: Browser/Application <-> Fiddler <-> Webpage.

3. On the left you can see all current request. Open Spider V Remote and you should see periodic (I counted every 5 seconds!) requests to 8.8.8.8:443. These are the software requests to basically check if a specific Google page can be reached. If yes: Spider V Remote assumes a working network connection.

EDIT: Additional step before moving in: Go to Tools / Options... / HTTPS. 

Check "Decrypt HTTPS traffic". Install and trust the new "Fiddler Root certificate". This will be used to fake the web request responses in a later step. 

4. At the right, look for the "AutoResponder" tab with a green lightning symbol.

5. Check the following boxes: Enable Rules, Accept all CONNECTs, Unmatched requests passthrough

6. Click on Add Rule. In the first box in Rule Editor type in:
EXACT:https://8.8.8.8/

This tells Fiddler to manipulate all requests to this exact URL only.

7. In the second box below that click on the small arrow and select "200_SimpleHTML.dat". This is to set what will be send as a response. In this case it's just a small text file with a small stub html site and the important HTTP status code 200.

8. Click on Save.

9. If you have Spider V Remote open and watch the Cloud tab, you should see the "No internet access detected." error message disappear and get the login form or (depending on your last login, if credentials are still cached) even be logged in directly.

You can now work with Spider V Remote. Try deselecting the "Enable Rules" checkbox in Fiddler and watch what happens in Spider V Remote --> it will now show the error again. Check the "Enable Rules" box and Spider V Remote "connects" again.

Closing Fiddler will shutdown the local proxy and everything will be just like you never "fiddled" with that software. Unfortunately, Spider V Remote will not work. :-)

Let me know if you need more information, I will try to help as good as possible. Just remember to open support tickets for this problem to raise Line6 awareness.

Hopefully, this will allow some of you to use the software. But maybe there are still some other issues aorund, I don't know.

Cheers!

Fiddler.png

Edited by jinxjinxsen
Link to new workaround
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hello JINXJINXSEN,

Thank you so much for answering with the explanation of what you have done.

I downloaded the Fiddler 4 and tried what you described, but nothing changed, maybe you forgot a step or I'm doing something wrong. If you could double check the steps, maybe you did something else before? 

About the ticket to Line 6, I already did it as mentioned in my first post above this, and I encouraged all the people I know with the same problem on the Facebook groups I belong. Now I'm thinking about sending and email to Yamaha customer service in London (where I live), to see if they can contact Line 6 department and ask what are they doing about this issue.

Thanks for all your time an effort!  Hope to get more news from you.

Kind regards,

Ivan.

image.png

• Thanks 1