Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD Pro X: How to Build a Patch From Scratch?

pfairlie

I'm new to the POD HD Pro X. I've read every manual. How do you build a patch from scratch (i.e., choose an amp, choose a mic, choose a cab, choose some effects)? I may be missing something, but the manuals seem to suggest that you have to start with a factory preset, modify it, and save it (and, does that overwrite the factory preset?). Also, even if I want to work from factory presets, I can find no website or document that lists them all, like a glossary, showing for each, the amp, mic, cab, effects, settings, etc (all parameters). That way, I COULD at least search for the 'AC-30' and winnow the process down.

I have to go into the studio next week with my 'sounds', and my producer wants me to ditch this thing and use Guitar Rig.

Let me start by saying - I have no problem with you using the studio's gear to record. That is often the case. 
BUT, it is also why much music sounds so sterile. 

Now, as to how you build a patch.... 

when someone says, "find a factory preset and modify it", they don't mean that to be how a seasoned user would do it. They mean "to get yourself familiar with the device and how to operate it". 

So, here goes; 

Step two - 

realize that you will be overwhelmed with features/options if you don't do step three. 

Step three - 

if it wasn't in your previous/physical rig, don't use it in your new/virtual rig. 

What this means is; if you are a blues musician and you use an AC-30 in real life, use the AC-30 on your Pod.  No reason to use a Treadplate. 

Just rebuild your old rig with the virtual options. 

Now, with that being said, let's backtrack to do step one. I mean, you did realize that I started on step two, right???? 

Step one is to figure out how you are going to be using the Pod, and then get the global settings set to match. 

And the reason for this - changing a global setting later is going to really f' up all of the work you've done up to that point. 

12 hours ago, pianoguyy said:

get the global settings set

so, how do you do that. 

Well, here are some questions to ask yourself - 

am I using an amp or going direct to PA. 

*"using an amp", in this instance, means it would be mic'd and is part of your tone. it does not mean that you'd be running direct and are just tossing an amp in to be able to hear yourself. 

if I am using an amp, am I running the fx loop

*"using the fx loop", in this instance, does not mean including an outboard fx pedal. it means using what is commonly referred to as 4cm, which involves a back-n-forth between the pod and the guitar amp. 

am I running more than one guitar/instrument at the same time. 

*key word is "at the same time". 

am I running stereo

*that's more about patch creation than global settings, but is important to know from the start

Thanks pianoguyy (as in "sing us a song, you're the...?"). I'll be going from POD to the studio's Mac (Logic). No external effects. I'd like to use what's on the POD. I had a habit when I was younger in getting overwhelmed with features ("Oooo.....how can I write a song with a Octaver?"). A single instrument at a time (guitar). I'm guessing, having now downloaded the EDIT program (without having launched it yet), that this is really what I should be manipulating. I want to avoid even 'touching' factory presets, and organically build a rig. Yes, I want to drop in my typical effects. But, I do also want to explore effects I've never used before. Also, how exactly do you define 'global settings'? Do you mean in the Advanced Manual where they talk about 'System Setup'?

16 hours ago, pfairlie said:

Also, how exactly do you define 'global settings'? Do you mean in the Advanced Manual where they talk about 'System Setup'?

yeah, them, whatever they are actually called. 

the things that don't get changed within a patch. 

also, if you upgraded to the latest firmware, there will be a global equalizer. it is not covered in the manual because L6 didn't write new manuals with each firmware even though there are numerous things included that are not discussed. 

so, based on what you said - 

I'll be going from POD to the studio's Mac

I would set your Pod for Studio/Direct

A single instrument at a time (guitar). 

set input 1 to guitar (or guitar/aux/variax) and input 2 to variax (not guitar/aux/variax)

*and that assumes your guitar is not actually a variax

those settings, if changed later, will drastically change your tone(s). but, at the same time, they also limit how you can use your Pod. so, it really is a matter of making sure you are choosing what is best for you. 

And there is always the option of "I am in the studio, i need to change my settings for a one time use" sort of thing. Studio work always allows for that sort of creative alteration. I just recommend, especially to new users, that people find one setting and keep it. It makes everything so much easier.