Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp Midi CC Auto Engage Wah?!

Crunch71

For the HX Stomp, I see that there is the following setting to auto-engage the wah block with an expression pedal:

Bypass assign – Switch Types – FS1, FS2, FS3, EXP1, EXP2
You can then set the percentage of travel before engaging the wah as well at the delay time to engage.

I use an MAudio EX-P Expression Pedal that is plugged in to the EXP slot of a Tech 21 Midi Moose. The Expression pedal is controlling the wah on Midi CC 80.

You can see my dilemma... Switch Types – FS1, FS2, FS3, EXP1, EXP2  with NO OPTION FOR MIDI CC as the switch type?!

Am I missing something?

I love this unit. I would really like to get this working. I can't plug the MAudio pedal directly into the Exp 1 input of the HX Stomp as there is a compatibility issue getting a full travel to 0 percent. Matbe someone has a solution to that?

Thanks in advance!!!

If there is no solution, maybe Line 6 could add Midi CCs to the Bypass Switch option menu in an update.

51 minutes ago, Crunch71 said:

If there is no solution, maybe Line 6 could add Midi CCs to the Bypass Switch option menu in an update.

You can already do that. You can assign whatever CC you want as a bypass controller. It's on page 48 of the manual:

ubzhPYw.png

You can actually have a CC assigned as a bypass controller along with one of the on-board options. The one thing with that, though, is a value of 0 will be off and 127 will be on. So that won't really work with a MIDI expression pedal like you're talking about.

What you can do is use the CC associated with EXP1 or EXP2 (CC#1 and CC#2, respectively) and have your expression pedal mimic one of those. So when you do that, the auto-engage feature will work just like it would if you have the expression pedal directly plugged into the Stomp. So just change the CC assignment on the MIDI Mongoose (I'm assuming this is what you actually have, not the MIDI Moose, as the MIDI Moose doesn't have an expression input) to CC#1, and that will let you control EXP1.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, phil_m said:

What you can do is use the CC associated with EXP1 or EXP2 (CC#1 and CC#2, respectively) and have your expression pedal mimic one of those. So when you do that, the auto-engage feature will work just like it would if you have the expression pedal directly plugged into the Stomp.

Been wondering how to do that! Thanks!

Phil_m, Thanks a lot man for taking the time to help me, and knowing your mongoses from mooses! 

Yes, I have the Moongose. I got it to work as you suggested, by assigning EXP 1 of the Mongoose to CC 1 to mimic EXP 1 of the Stomp. 

Even though the pedal position works correctly, now when I set the percentage of travel to 5% before auto engaging, I get the reverse of the expected result. Wah is on at 0 - 5% and off 6 - 95%? Any ideas please? 

Thanks again! 

4 minutes ago, Crunch71 said:

Even though the pedal position works correctly, now when I set the percentage of travel to 5% before auto engaging, I get the reverse of the expected result. Wah is on at 0 - 5% and off 6 - 95%? Any ideas please? 

Push the pedal to the toe down position and turning off the wah block. Navigate over the wah block by turning the top knob, and then press down the knob. That will toggle its bypass state to on. Now move the pedal back to the heel down and the block should turn off. Then re-save your preset.