Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix with Fryer Treble booster into AC30S1

Xylodoken

I have a Line6 Helix that I’m using with a pedal board.    I’ve got the board going through the Helix effects send/return loop 1, and the Helix-out goes to the input jack of the amp - an AC30S1.   The first pedal in the chain is a Fryer Treble booster.   Through the Helix everything sounds anemic, thin, and totally underpowered.    No matter what pedal I stomp on or off.     All I’ve got in my Helix signal chain is the effect send/return loop object.

But if I plug my guitar directly into the pedal board and go straight from the board to the amp, the sound is fantastic:  beautifully overdriven and sweetly distorted.   Sustain is great.

I’ve checked that I’ve got Line (not Instrument) checked in my global settings.   I’ve checked the impedance on the guitar IN for the helix.   The higher I set the impedance the more the sound improves.  But even at the max setting, the distortion sounds “farty” and the sustain is really poor.

Any suggestions/advice is greatly appreciated.

- X

On 9/18/2019 at 10:58 AM, Xylodoken said:

I’m using a single FX loop - but also tried the separate send/return blocks and got the same result.

Do you have the Mix parameter in the FX loop set to 100%?  If not than some dry signal(unaffected by your pedal board) from the Helix will be sent directly to the Helix's next block bypassing your pedal board which could potentially thin out the sound. Try playing with the Send and Return levels. Another thing I would try is bypassing the input block's noise gate if it is engaged for long enough to see if it is causing an issue. It can kill the sustain if is set too aggressively.