Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects expression button

PlayAMRadio

I am currently building an HX effects into a rack for someone. They will be using 4 cable at the amp. For the most part the drive will be coming from the amp but, they were asking if they could have 1 boost in front of the amp that they could click off/on from the front of stage.

All that will currently be at the front of stage is a Voodoo Lab Commander. This will only have MIDI to the HX Effects.

I've looked everywhere and can't seem to find a switch that can be run to the expression jack that can be assigned to an effect.

I've so far tested a regular switch and a hard switch, both TS/TRS and nothing seems to work.

I see that Mission has a pedal that has a toe switch (not sure if that's Helix/Stomp only) but, I don't need an expression pedal.

Thanks to anyone that can point me in the right direction of a product or the how-to (switch type, cable type, etc.)!

Unlike the HX Stomp, I don't believe the HX Effects allows for this type of control. You can only use those for expression pedals or to change the channels of an amp. 

Your best bet would be to buy a small midi controller (like the DMC Micro for $130). 

You can double check my assumptions here, but I think I'm right on this one: https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a3d3f4a5a6a1897ecdf6/application/pdf/HX Effects 2.50 Owners Manual - English .pdf

The Commander is a Loop Switcher. While it will send MIDI PC messages, changing the preset to get a distortion pedal is overkill, and will result in a momentary audio drop while the preset changes. Ideally, you'd want the HX FX out front, but if it's too big, something like this is about the same size as the Commander, and in addition to using single Stomps AND Snapshots, would also allow for using Expression pedals for Wah, Volume, etc. too.

https://smile.amazon.com/Controller,MeloAudio-Multi-Effects-Controller-Switches,2-Expression/dp/B07HH27RVN/ref=sr_1_34?crid=3G2NA4SWE6M1W&keywords=midi+controller&qid=1568922197&s=musical-instruments&sprefix=midi%2Caps%2C179&sr=1-34

The HX Effects doesn't have an input for a regular momentary or latching footswitch. There are some companies that make an "expression switch" so that you could essentially turn one of the expression inputs into a switch.

I think you'd be better off doing this with MIDI, though. Something like the Disaster Area Designs MIDI Baby would be cool. The only problem is you'd have to worry about powering it.

Another thing I should mention is that the HX Effects won't power the Voodoo Lab Commander pedal, and I don't think it has a separate power input. The Commander isn't really a MIDI controller at all. It's really a remote for the Voodoo Lab Pedal Switcher.

20 minutes ago, phil_m said:

I think you'd be better off doing this with MIDI, though. Something like the Disaster Area Designs MIDI Baby would be cool. The only problem is you'd have to worry about powering it.

Another thing I should mention is that the HX Effects won't power the Voodoo Lab Commander pedal, and I don't think it has a separate power input. The Commander isn't really a MIDI controller at all. It's really a remote for the Voodoo Lab Pedal Switcher.

Yes, I looked at the MIDI Baby, thanks. He doesn't want power at the front of the stage as that's regularly an issue.

The Commander gets it's power via MIDI (I made him a MIDI cable that injects power at the rack). It only sends Preset changes 1-10 which is fine for him.

I don't know if he has any patches that use more than 6 blocks, maybe I'll try to get him to convert to a Stomp as I know the footswitch thing works on that.

Thanks all!