Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Moog MF Drive (lopass) filter effect?

Beamboom

Hi all!

As a new Helix owner I am in the process of trying to set up a board that to an as great extent as possible can reflect my set of physical pedals. At least in the same ballpark.

I realize some of the more exotic ones, like the Digitech Dirty Robot, is just plain unrealistic to recreate. But I've stumbled across one that I thought would be pretty straightforward: The Moog MF Drive. In essence it's just a lopass filter controllable via an expression pedal (and a drive on top but never mind that part, that's well covered). 

I have searched everywhere after a filter where the cutoff frequency is controlled with the expression pedal, but for one I've not really fond any plain lopass filters, and under "filters" I find only automated ones. A wah sounds very different even though the principle is similar. The lopass filter goes much deeper than a regular wah and sounds different.

Is there a trick/setting to make the automated filters manually controlled instead? Or are there other ways to create an effect of a traditional classic plain filter that is found on all synths (for example)?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Beamboom said:

Hi all!

As a new Helix owner I am in the process of trying to set up a board that to an as great extent as possible can reflect my set of physical pedals. At least in the same ballpark.

I realize some of the more exotic ones, like the Digitech Dirty Robot, is just plain unrealistic to recreate. But I've stumbled across one that I thought would be pretty straightforward: The Moog MF Drive. In essence it's just a lopass filter controllable via an expression pedal (and a drive on top but never mind that part, that's well covered). 

I have searched everywhere after a filter where the cutoff frequency is controlled with the expression pedal, but for one I've not really fond any plain lopass filters, and under "filters" I find only automated ones. A wah sounds very different even though the principle is similar. The lopass filter goes much deeper than a regular wah and sounds different.

Is there a trick/setting to make the automated filters manually controlled instead? Or are there other ways to create an effect of a traditional classic plain filter that is found on all synths (for example)?

I don't typically use filters, so for all I know this is the most asinine suggestion I could offer. 

However, while there is not a pedal that is a 1 to 1 copy of the Moog MF Drive pedal, they do offer the Asheville Pattrn which is based on the Moog Moogerfooger Murf Filter. Doesn't that one allow for some manual control?  Maybe you've already looked at it and it doesn't, but I'd be surprised if it doesn't since the original allowed for a great degree of control.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for the reply, Kilrahi!

Since you ask, and since I am so new to the Helix, I do of course now become unsure and I will check again at first convenience, but I do feel that I did inspect the tools in that directory (filters) particularly carefully, since that's where a lopass filter should logically be found.

I'll have a look again, thanks.

Also, I've seen 3rd party amp packs, but no pedals? Else I could seek on that market too.

7 minutes ago, Beamboom said:

Thank you so much for the reply, Kilrahi!

Since you ask, and since I am so new to the Helix, I do of course now become unsure and I will check again at first convenience, but I do feel that I did inspect the tools in that directory (filters) particularly carefully, since that's where a lopass filter should logically be found.

I'll have a look again, thanks.

Also, I've seen 3rd party amp packs, but no pedals? Else I could seek on that market too.

The third party "amp packs" are just existing amps, with specialized IRs, meant to emulate other amps. They don't actual give you a new amp choice.  All of the amps and effects in the HX line are proprietary and only come through Line 6. The only real 3rd party options are IRs. 

Also, to check out the "Asheville Pattrn", make sure you are using the latest firmware, as that was only just released with 2.8(1). 

• Thanks 1

On 9/20/2019 at 7:26 PM, Kilrahi said:

The third party "amp packs" are just existing amps, with specialized IRs, meant to emulate other amps.

Again - thanks so much for your patience Kilrahi. You have the dubious honour of being my first Helix friend :)

I've discovered in the meantime just what you say here, that indeed the 3rd party offerings are just tweaks, not additions. Would be real cool if Line 6 opened up their API so external pedal producers could offer virtual versions of their pedals.

Anyways, another thing I've realized is that it seems that all(?) tweakable pedal parameters (knobs) can be assigned to the pedal - and THAT opens up a HOST of opportunities I was unaware of! I thought the pedal were only usable for predefined functions.

I still really do wish a standard dedicated filter with hipass/lopass and resonance (and that's it) were featured though. Here's hoping for future updates.

Thanks again!

Hello Beamboom,

In the Filters section, just find one that allows you to modify the "sensitivity" parameter (= envelope ) and set it to 0.

Then, control the cut frequency with an exp. pedal or MIDI.

(And also , set the the filter mode to "low pass)

-> I believe the Autofilter will do the trick.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, ttkfirst said:

Hello Beamboom,

In the Filters section, just find one that allows you to modify the "sensitivity" parameter (= envelope ) and set it to 0.

Ahh - set sensitivity to 0... Of course! Thanks a lot, ttkfirst!

Unfortunately there's no resonance setting on autofilter, nor the other filters that also have a frequency cutoff control. But apart from that autofilter worked great with sensitivity on 0.

To be honest in a "perfect world" I'd also want a "min" and "max" setting on the filter range, but that *can* be achieved with similar settings on the pedal hardware. However, resonance is greatly missed.

On 9/26/2019 at 12:13 PM, ttkfirst said:

Hello Beamboom,

Tried the autofilter now and even with the sensitivity =0 the envelope still opens the filter automatically.
One filter that could be used was in the legacy section - Q filter, I think.
So hoping there will be some more filters in the future.

16 hours ago, Beamboom said:

Unfortunately there's no resonance setting on autofilter, nor the other filters that also have a frequency cutoff control. But apart from that autofilter worked great with sensitivity on 0.

To be honest in a "perfect world" I'd also want a "min" and "max" setting on the filter range, but that *can* be achieved with similar settings on the pedal hardware. However, resonance is greatly missed.

Are you sure? I'm absolutely sure that there is a filter with a resonance parameter where you can also control the frequency manually.

My friend does it, so I'll have to check it out when I see him.

1) Check also the other filters, don't be stuck with the "autofilter"

2) Are you sure you didn't skip the "Q" parameter? For those who don't know "Q" means "resonance"...

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, ttkfirst said:

2) Are you sure you didn't skip the "Q" parameter? For those who don't know "Q" means "resonance"...

Oh damn - it does?? You're right, I didn't know! Because, I did find it so ODD that there was no "resonance" to be found anywhere, it's like the most basic feature of a filter after the cutoff control. :D

Now i'm excited. I sense a solution in the horizon here! Will have to check immediately when I get back to the studio.

Thank you SO much for your assistance, TTKFIRST!

On 9/29/2019 at 11:58 PM, Beamboom said:

How odd, it worked for me?

Found out the reason the envelope still engaged with sensitivity at 0 - I'm using the filter after the amp and thus the level is higher.
Solution would be to lower the amp output or settle using the filter before the amp.
So, still one good manual or should I say pedal filter would be welcome.

• 3 years later...