Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

UX1 / Pod Farm. How tweakable?

louhela

Hi

Just ordered a 2nd-hand UX1 for my son who's just getting started out with playing guitar.

Few questions, please:

Is an audio track fully tweakable after recording? Can you change the amp model?

Can you turn off all the POD Farm processing altogether and just have what is essentially a bare-bones guitar audio track?

Can you use PodFarm as an effects unit on other pre-recorded audio tracks? Say a snare drum or a keyboard track?

He'll be using a Think Pad T61 2.8 dual-core, 4GB, 2 hard drives, USB2, Sonar X2 which I've set up just as a DAW.

Is 24-bit 48k going to be realistic? How's the latency with these units? How many tracks would he be able to record realistically?

Many thanks!

Lou

Ive had about 12 tracks active with podfarm plug in with no issues. Once you figure out how it all works, its pretty versatile, it will surely be plenty good enough for a beginners needs.

I generally record a dry signal and then play with podfarm to get the sound i want, so it is fully tweakable.

You can record with just a mic or send your amplifier through the unit ot you would like and just use basic compessor/noise gate functions on that sound or nothing at all. You can indeed use it for existing tracks, I've updatdd old recorded tracks from previous projects with podfarm. I have never experienced latency issuse, and that I've come across on this forum are usually down to issues with their set up/settings. It can be tricky to set up, bit once you have it all sorted, it should be pretty good.

Cheers Gaz

I'm missing something when you say you record a dry signal.

Why?

Are you saying that if you record a guitar track through the UX1 with a PodFarm amp and some effects, then that's what you're stuck with?

Surely the recorded track is just a simple wav (a dry signal as you put it) with PodFarm then processing it as any other VST in your DAW.

That's the way it works with every other amp sim software I've ever seen.

In fact, does one have to use PodFarm with the UX1? Is it not just a simple A-D-D-A interface? I actually have a spare licence for S-Gear, so I'd like to put that on my lad's computer.

TIA!

EDIT: Wait a moment.. Are you saying you record a blank track in order to get the amp/effects sounds you want BEFORE you then go for a take?

The ux is just the audio interface, you can use any amp sim you want, I only got the ux as it came with a podfarm license and im used to using their amplifiers. You can record anyway you want with it. I record the take along with my drum track just plugging in the electric guitar and recording the unamplified signal, then produce the sound i want with podfarm after. You can go about if any way you want to.

Cheers man.

I picked up this ux1 for 20€ off flea bay and now waiting for it to arrive.

Apart from the lack of phantom power, it seems to be a decent package with the software.

Just hoping there won't be any latency problems playing, recording and monitoring with amp and effects on.

• Like 1

4G RAM is going to be the limiting factor when recording.  He should shut down all the 'running in the background' software.  Be aware that some VSTs (if you use anything other than PodFarm) use up a lot of RAM, things like reverbs and virtual instruments.