Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to Copy / Paste a Snapshot?

rbedsaul1

Using my PC, I'm trying to copy a Snapshot from 1 Bank of user presets into another.  For example... I want to copying Preset 01D Snapshot 4 and paste it into Preset 04B Snapshot 1.  I'm using the Snapshot > Copy Snapshot menu.  Then I open the paste location, but the option to Paste Snapshot is grayed out.

6 minutes ago, rbedsaul1 said:

Using my PC, I'm trying to copy a Snapshot from 1 Bank of user presets into another.  For example... I want to copying Preset 01D Snapshot 4 and paste it into Preset 04B Snapshot 1.  I'm using the Snapshot > Copy Snapshot menu.  Then I open the paste location, but the option to Paste Snapshot is grayed out.

Only works WITHIN a preset, and you'll want to make sure that your snapshots are custom named, because Snapshot 1 will paste as Snapshot 1, then you'll have 2 Snapshot 1s!

You can't copy/paste snapshots between presets. Each snapshot exists within a single preset defined by its blocks, signal paths, and routing. Consider the target/destination preset of your attempt to paste a snapshot. In your case, compare preset 1D to 4B. 4B is almost certainly different from 1D in terms of blocks. Hence the source snapshot doesn't 'fit' the target and can't be pasted into it. If you actually want the target preset to exactly match the source preset, then copy/paste the source preset (not snapshot) 1D to 4B first and then copy/paste the snapshot within 4B.

13 minutes ago, silverhead said:

You can't copy/paste snapshots between presets. Each snapshot exists within a single preset defined by its blocks, signal paths, and routing. Consider the target/destination preset of your attempt to paste a snapshot. In your case, compare preset 1D to 4B. 4B is almost certainly different from 1D in terms of blocks. Hence the source snapshot doesn't 'fit' the target and can't be pasted into it. If you actually want the target preset to exactly match the source preset, then copy/paste the source preset (not snapshot) 1D to 4B first and then copy/paste the snapshot within 4B.

Actually, I thought that sounded logical so I tried it. Didn't work.

Not sure what didn’t work. If you copied/pasted the preset first then copied/pasted a snapshot within the newly pasted preset (which is what I suggested), that should work. But if you copied the snapshot from the original preset then it still won’t paste into the newly copied preset even though they are identical. Helix doesn’t bother comparing the two presets- it just refuses the paste.

23 minutes ago, silverhead said:

Not sure what didn’t work. If you copied/pasted the preset first then copied/pasted a snapshot within the newly pasted preset (which is what I suggested), that should work. But if you copied the snapshot from the original preset then it still won’t paste into the newly copied preset even though they are identical. Helix doesn’t bother comparing the two presets- it just refuses the paste.

Well, yes, like I said, you can copy/paste a snapshot WITHIN that preset, but not from one preset to another, which is what OP wanted to do.

I could be lacking in imagination, but unless all you want is identical presets with the snapshots in a different order, what would be the point of copying the preset then copy/pasting a snapshot within it, apart from a different snapshot order from the original?

Not being snarky, just wondering, maybe learn something new.....

You're right - there's really no point in doing that unless you want two presets with the same snapshots in a different order. It was just an example of something that could be done - useful or not.That's why I said "If you actually want the target preset to exactly match the source preset...." . I think I was trying to drive home the point that it makes no useful sense to copy/paste snapshots between presets. Perhaps a bad example.

Thanks for the replies.  I understand the concept better, and I'm finding it to be quite a limitation.

For live performance, there are some tunes where I need to go back and forth between a gained-up tone and an acoustic sound.  Which I've already created in other presets.  I've learned that I can't switch between presets because of the Helix 'dead spot' (the split second of no sound).  And, I cannot  combine Snapshots within different presents to create the combination of tones I need.

So, the solution is to recombine all of what I want into a single new preset, and then use the Snapshots within that preset for the 'turning off' and 'turning on' of what are presently 2 different presets (but without the dead spot) to get what I need.  Does that sound right? 

16 minutes ago, rbedsaul1 said:

....  And, I cannot  combine Snapshots within different presents to create the combination of tones I need.

So, the solution is to recombine all of what I want into a single new preset, and then use the Snapshots within that preset for the 'turning off' and 'turning on' of what are presently 2 different presets (but without the dead spot) to get what I need.  Does that sound right? 

Yes - that's right. I have several presets where I switch from electric to acoustic tones (including the guitar type using a Variax) using just an expression pedal, without even using snapshots. Toe position is a Marshall amp and Les Paul tone while heel position is no amp with a Gibson acoustic. Works great for the Joe Walsh tune Life's Been Good To Me.

It's probably easier to do this with snapshots but I copied and edited my preset based on a tone developed by Line 6 user Peter Hamm. I believe the tone of his that I started with was this one, available on Customtone:

https://line6.com/customtone/tone/209351/

32 minutes ago, rbedsaul1 said:

Thanks for the replies.  I understand the concept better, and I'm finding it to be quite a limitation.

For live performance, there are some tunes where I need to go back and forth between a gained-up tone and an acoustic sound.  Which I've already created in other presets.  I've learned that I can't switch between presets because of the Helix 'dead spot' (the split second of no sound).  And, I cannot  combine Snapshots within different presents to create the combination of tones I need.

That certainly hasn't been that much of a limitation to me either.  I have a number of presets that incorporate differences like that. Save the old preset that works correctly to a new location, rename it and make any changes distinctive to the new preset.  Just a few minutes work and you're done.  I don't see the problem.  Been doing it for years.

• 2 years later...